Gridlock at MDW

That bites.

I have always been favorably impressed with how SWA does in handling irregular ops, but this is a meltdown (freeze-up?).

I read elsewhere (no useful attribution source) that there had been a sickout among their rampers. If so, an unfortunate event, and unusual for the carrier.

I am sure we'll hear more about this one...

Ok, I've always wondered this, when there's no gate available why can't they just roll one of those platforms with the stairs up to the airplane and let them walk off and inside?

I assume there must be some bonehead rule because on the surface it seems incredibly stupid not to do this rather than make people wait for hours.

Ok, I've always wondered this, when there's no gate available why can't they just roll one of those platforms with the stairs up to the airplane and let them walk off and inside?

How many do you think there are sitting dormant at an airport? How long do you think it takes to unload an airplane? How many dormant busses do you think are waiting around?

You need one guy to drive the truck with the stairs out, someone else to direct people to the door....flight attendants should be able to assist. Never mind unloading the cargo... figure that out later. Those with only a carry-on can be on their way and out of the way. I can't believe that takes more than a few minutes for people to just walk out a door.

So there might be a bit of a walk. Ideal? Oh hell no, sounds like a mess but that's got to beat making people sit for 4 hours.

I assume there must be some bonehead rule because on the surface it seems incredibly stupid not to do this rather than make people wait for hours.

During the LAX shooting, I was on a road trip in my car and dialed up LAX ground and tower on LiveATC.net. There was half the airport shut down and planes that were already on the ground were stuck. Virgin appeared to be on their game...the struck a deal with Signature Aviation to use their ramp and unload the passengers for their two planes. Virgin agreed, Signature agreed, LA airport management would not let them do it!...Tower kept going back and forth between Virgin, Signature and Airport authority and pilots were frustrated.

Southwest was smart and just had their planes take off again and go to Ontario and Burbank rather then sitting on the ramp for hours.

My SIL got caught up in this. First she spent 6 hours at MDW Thursday waiting to get out, with the departure just being pushed back before it was finally cancelled. She didn't get back to our place until after 11PM. Then she rebooked for Friday night after spending over an hour on the cell on hold because their online system couldn't do anything. They took her luggage, though, and couldn't get it back to her, so she had to purchase new stuff for the extended stay!

But Friday afternoon the new flight was canceled too! Again, over an hour on hold before she was able to rebook for Sunday! Enough was enough, though, and we booked her on a United flight out of ORD last night. Of course that one was delayed about 3 hours too, and she wound up getting home at about 4:30 AM!

Now we see what recourse we have to recover some of the extra expenses. Not holding our breath, though.

Southwest was smart and just had their planes take off again and go to Ontario and Burbank rather then sitting on the ramp for hours.

That should work to relieve LAX. Ontario has a big terminal that is greatly underused, and Southwest is there.

Not sure where Southwest could do the same for Midway.

That should work to relieve LAX. Ontario has a big terminal that is greatly underused, and Southwest is there.

Not sure where Southwest could do the same for Midway.

Milwaukee

The whole E concourse is vacant except United uses 1 gate.

There are 2 open gates on the D concourse too.

But if they don't pay for a gate lease the airport probably wouldn't even let them use the gate. And it'd be doubtful that the airport would let them sign a lease for right here right now... airport politics you see.

Back