Greesed Landings

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Dont you just love those landings where you cant really feel the wheels touch, but you hear a slight chirp. Had one this evening with a Mesa Airlines right on my tail. When i exited the runway, and was an the parallel taxi way, i see the mesa plane turning around on the runway right in front of me. Those guys just dont leave much room for my errors do they. Had i decided to land long, or taxi a bit further down the runway, he would've had to go around. But to both our suprise it was a greaser, with minimal runway use. Gotta love those days.
:cheerio:

Last edited:
Have we landed yet??

Michael said:
Dont you just love those landings where you cant really feel the wheels touch, but you hear a slight chirp. Had one this evening with a Mesa Airlines right on my tail. When i exited the runway, and was an the parallel taxi way, i see the mesa plane turning around on the runway right in front of me. Those guys just dont leave much room for my errors do they. Had i decided to land long, or taxi a bit further down the runway, he would've had to go around. But to both our suprise it was a greaser, with minimal runway use. Gotta love those days.
:cheerio:

Excellent! Do it again.

I love the ones where you don't feel the touch and don't hear the tires and think: Wait a minute, I'm going way too slow to be in the air any longer. Oh! I landed already! Neat!

Then you're convinced you can actually land an aeroplane and proceed to break the richter scale that's two states away on the next landing...

You gotta stay humble...

I love them the very few times they've happened. While I think that getting to a point where I land consistently well is becoming a reality, getting a real A+ greaser is probably always going to be a matter of luck for me more than anything else!

Michael said:
Dont you just love those landings where you cant really feel the wheels touch, but you hear a slight chirp. Had one this evening with a Mesa Airlines right on my tail. Gotta love those days.

Hey Michael, I thought all your landings were greasers when you took me flying.
:)

Diana said:
Hey Michael, I thought all your landings were greasers when you took me flying.
:)

Thanks Diana :) That's why I like to take my passengers high, so they are on the verge of hypoxia when I land. then i like to talk about how smooth the landing was for hours after, by the time they come around, they genuinely think the landing was great :)

Works every time.
Thanks for the compliment.

Re: Have we landed yet??

fgcason said:
Excellent! Do it again.

I love the ones where you don't feel the touch and don't hear the tires and think: Wait a minute, I'm going way too slow to be in the air any longer. Oh! I landed already! Neat!

When that happens sometimes I think "I did put the gear down, didn't I....!"

I only have about 50 hours so i have only experienced the "grease" a few times. Once when i did my first soft field landing and then a couple more times on regular landings. The best is when you do it when there is a plane waiting to takeoff and you do it right in front of them. Thats a good feeling.

Rudy said:
I only have about 50 hours so i have only experienced the "grease" a few times. Once when i did my first soft field landing and then a couple more times on regular landings. The best is when you do it when there is a plane waiting to takeoff and you do it right in front of them. Thats a good feeling.

Rudy, I rarely have an audience for my "greasers". Although, I provide a lot of entertainment and comic relief with all my other landings, especailly in the taildragger.

As Tom STILL tells me; "Well, you salvaged that one at the last second."

Michael said:
Dont you just love those landings where you cant really feel the wheels touch, but you hear a slight chirp.

Yes! Those landings are the best part of flying. Just coming in for any ol' landing is the best part -- timing everything, figuring out your drift, flipping switches, lining up, adjusting, adjusting, it's all great. And then to land like that and know you did it just right. There's a powerful feeling that sticks with you.

Salvaged landings are satisfying, too, because you've proven to yourself once again that you know how to make the necessary corrections.

Another part of flying I really love is rolling out onto the runway and lining up with the center line. That just-before-takeoff feeling. I don't know what it is about it......I don't get any satisfaction out of turning my car onto a road and lining up in the right lane, and I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I've been driving for 35 years. Why is this so different?

And just hearing a few words -- "Cleared for takeoff." "Cleared to land." Does anyone get the same feeling pulling into or out of the shopping mall parking lot?

Toby said:
Another part of flying I really love is rolling out onto the runway and lining up with the center line. That just-before-takeoff feeling. I don't know what it is about it......I don't get any satisfaction out of turning my car onto a road and lining up in the right lane, and I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I've been driving for 35 years. Why is this so different?

And just hearing a few words -- "Cleared for takeoff." "Cleared to land." Does anyone get the same feeling pulling into or out of the shopping mall parking lot?

I agree. Beats the heck out of pulling onto the freeway. You're about to commit an act that the vast majority of people are unable to do, and have no idea what it is like.

I got a kick out one airline's advertising campaign (forget which) a couple years ago calling passengers 'aviators'. Yeah, sure. And riding in a bus makes me a bus driver? I don't think so. Left seat, that's what it's all about!

Ghery said:
Left seat, that's what it's all about!
I hate to disagree with you, Ghery, but FRONT seat, that's what it's all about!

Of course, now Chip can chime in with "BACK seat, that's what it's all about."

Oh my, what a can of worms!

Toby said:

Maybe it's time to try a high perf driving course. There is a takeoff like feeling when you manage to find the best line through a corner and accidentally drift in at exactly the right speed while trail braking and proceed to squeeze on just the right amount of power on the exit to set you up for the upcoming switchback (or so the better drivers tell me).

Toby said:
And just hearing a few words -- "Cleared for takeoff." "Cleared to land."

Don't forget "Cleared for the approach".
redface.gif

Toby said:
Does anyone get the same feeling pulling into or out of the shopping mall parking lot?

Only when launching into a "parking lot autocross".
cheers.wine.gif

Re: Greesed Landings and Smilie text.

And on a related note, how often do you fantasize about pulling back on the wheel of your car and climbing into the air?
blueplane.jpg

Hey, why do my "Smilies" come out as text?

Re: Greesed Landings and Smilie text.

lancefisher said:
And on a related note, how often do you fantasize about pulling back on the wheel of your car and climbing into the air?
blueplane.jpg

Hey, why do my "Smilies" come out as text?
Which editor are you using?

Strike that question. How are you adding smilies to the post? If you are doing it using an IMG tag you must include the full http:// address. the command : bluplane : (remove the spaces) will auto-insert the blueplane icon
:blueplane:

lancefisher said:
Maybe it's time to try a high perf driving course. There is a takeoff like feeling when you manage to find the best line through a corner and accidentally drift in at exactly the right speed while trail braking and proceed to squeeze on just the right amount of power on the exit to set you up for the upcoming switchback (or so the better drivers tell me).

It sounds fantastic. I love fast cars. And just what I need, Lance, another expensive hobby!

Don't forget "Cleared for the approach".

I hope to experience that in about a year.

Only when launching into a "parking lot autocross".

What's that?

Greebo said:
Strike that question. How are you adding smilies to the post? If you are doing it using an IMG tag you must include the full http:// address. the command : bluplane : (remove the spaces) will auto-insert the blueplane icon
:blueplane:

I've been dragging the smilies from the area on the right side of the "Message" box. I could swear it used to work OK. The smilies do show up correctly in my post until I submit it, then they are replaced with the text. I'm using Firefox 1.0. BTW I've also wondered what the "Post Icons" box below the "Message" box full of radio buttons and smilies is for.
dance.icon.gif

Instead of dragging them, try just clicking them. :) Dragging them inserts an image reference using the src properties of the image, which are abbreviated (no http:// info) when displayed in the thread. That abbreviation doesn't translate into your post because vbulletin doesn't accept the {IMG} tag as valid without the preceeding http:// info

Oh yeah, and the Post Icons" section is actually kinda silly, IMO - it sets an icon for your message vs. inside the text. Note the cheesy grin associated with this post?

Toby said:
It sounds fantastic. I love fast cars. And just what I need, Lance, another expensive hobby!

I can relate, although it's not as expensive as you might think. The biggest cost is tires and brakes which may not last a whole weekend. My biggest problem is that I have too many other things to do in the summer that don't leave enough time for another activity that doesn't involve the family.

Toby said:
I hope to experience that in about a year.

Good, if you have any practical intentions for flying, an IR is of tremendous value.

Toby said:
What's that?

Parking lot autocross is where some organization sets up a short road course by placing cones in a large paved area. This is the least expensive form of automotive thrills and also one of the safest. Top speeds are generally below 60 mph with most of the time spent in the 20-40 mph range. There will be several curves of various geometry along with the ubiquitous slalom (serpentine weaving back and forth) and a couple chicanes (pair of short turns in opposite directions). Usually you get several practice runs throught the course followed by a couple of timed ones for prizes. Typical "Boyz & Toys that make Noize" kind of thing but by participating you can learn a lot about car handling that they didn't cover in high school driver's ed.

Greebo said:
Instead of dragging them, try just clicking them. :) Dragging them inserts an image reference using the src properties of the image, which are abbreviated (no http:// info) when displayed in the thread. That abbreviation doesn't translate into your post because vbulletin doesn't accept the {IMG} tag as valid without the preceeding http:// info

:p Ahhh! Much better.:dance: That's what I must have been doing originally when it worked, before I "learned" to drag them into the message.:D

Thanks Chuck.

Re: Have we landed yet??

fgcason said:
Excellent! Do it again.

Then you're convinced you can actually land an aeroplane and proceed to break the richter scale that's two states away on the next landing...

You gotta stay humble...

That's the only real greaser! If you get a chirp it's because you have some sideload (drift) going on, and I don't consider that to be a greaser.

I actually got a real greaser yesterday in my Cherokee in some rather squirrelly gusty conditions. It surprised the h*** out of me, because the landing was a struggle with a gusty crosswind (mechanical turbulence). I think that's only about the third one I've ever done.

Ken Ibold said:

Nah, Ken, you guys have it all wrong. RIGHT seat with that big cuisinart going whoop whoop whoop above you, that's the place to be!

Ken Ibold said:

You'll have to demonstrate that when I'm in Orlando the week of April 11. :)

lancefisher said:
Parking lot autocross is where some organization sets up a short road course by placing cones in a large paved area. but by participating you can learn a lot about car handling that they didn't cover in high school driver's ed.

Ding ding ding!

I used to Auto-X a good bit, you really learn what a car can and cannot do. Gotta sell this giant truck thing and get back to fun to drive sporty cars.

Toby said:
snip

Another part of flying I really love is rolling out onto the runway and lining up with the center line. That just-before-takeoff feeling. I don't know what it is about it......QUOTE]

I love that moment, just before advancing the throttle. The plane ALWAYS feels to me like you can feel it gathering itself up, a cat getting ready to spring into action. But, that's not the best moment for me. When you rotate, and the wheels first break ground... That's when I always get the biggest thrill out of most flights.

Diana said:
Rudy, I rarely have an audience for my "greasers". Although, I provide a lot of entertainment and comic relief with all my other landings, especailly in the taildragger.

Haha i just say "hey,the plane is in one piece and so are you Grandpa, thats a good landing in my book" He just laughs. Haven't had to use that phrase on him for a while but i know its there for anyone else who complains.

Diana said:
I rarely have an audience for my "greasers".
"

Boy ain't that the way it always goes. The good ones come alone
at night when no one can see.

RT

RogerT said:
Boy ain't that the way it always goes. The good ones come alone
at night when no one can see.

RT

Yeah, yeah, just like the "one that got away".... :D

Diana said:

"Salvaging" an ugly landing is the mark of a really good pilot...

Back