Greenville MI Pancake Breakfast 8/27

All you can eat? Really..... (begins W & B calcualtions for a 152 in his head....B) ) I may need to bump up to a 172!

I'll see if I can make it.

I miss Greenville/Lakeview area. One of my favorite places in the world.

Fishing the Flat River for smallmouth on a hot summer day....sigh.

TBone,
Yup, all-u-can-consume! Better make that a C-182! The record stands at 66 pancakes. Only $5 for adults, $4 for kids 6-12, FREE for kids 5 and under. Pray for good wx. See you there.
Gary

Come on up, Brian. The Flat River is just east of the runway. All state land surrounds the area. Bring your fishing pole.
Gary

Gary Miesch said:
Come on up, Brian. The Flat River is just east of the runway. All state land surrounds the area. Bring your fishing pole.
Gary
I used to watch the traffic while fishing there, before I had my PPL. Long ride for some pancakes. If I wasn't working and in school...maybe. ;)

T Bone said:
All you can eat? Really..... (begins W & B calcualtions for a 152 in his head....B) ) I may need to bump up to a 172!

I'll see if I can make it.

Humm, I don't have plans for that weekend yet... want to split a 172? You fly there, I fly home. I'll have to call up and get a check out in the 172 b4 that weekend but it's doable. I could even use some hood time ... :)

Missa

Gary Miesch said:
TBone,
Yup, all-u-can-consume! Better make that a C-182! The record stands at 66 pancakes. Only $5 for adults, $4 for kids 6-12, FREE for kids 5 and under. Pray for good wx. See you there.
Gary

66 pancakes in one sitting? Gack!

Gary Miesch said:
TBone,
Gary

Gary, I think you need to admit to that over on COG. :) It's not like they'll miss the chance to abuse you... :)

Maverick said:
66 pancakes in one sitting? Gack!

Anyone who has seen me would probably believe that I could do it. And I probably could....I love pancakes.

If I can eat a 72oz. steak, I believe I could put away 66 pancakes.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Anyone who has seen me, would probably believe that I could do it. And I probably could....I love pancakes.

If I can eat a 72oz. steak, I believe I could put away 66 pancakes.

For me pancakes are so filling that two is all I can eat unless they are the silver dollar size. I remember a trip I took out to Yellow Stone Park with some friends. We stopped at a place just outside the park in Wyoming and we ordered pancakes for breakfast. I love blue berry pancakes so that's what I ordered. There were three pancakes and they were each bigger than the plate they came on. My God those things were huge! I, maybe, ate half of my order while my friend ate all of his, of course he is a really big eater. My tummy was uncomfortable just looking at the size of those things.

So, Mav...

Are you planing on going too? Is the cardinal cleared for use agian? I've got the baby plane right now from 8-12... Let me know if you want to claim the right seat before Mom tries!

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
Humm, I don't have plans for that weekend yet... want to split a 172? You fly there, I fly home. I'll have to call up and get a check out in the 172 b4 that weekend but it's doable. I could even use some hood time ... :)

Missa
Hi Missa, I haven't even reserved a plane yet. Probably do that tomorrow. Thing is, I've been flying so little, I really need to get the Xc logged (want to build some for beginning the IFR rating). Sounds like you've made other plans anyway. Hope to see you there!

Oh and guys, the pancake record is in absolutely NO danger from me! (Sky Hog, really? You think you could eat that much.... wow.... hope you wouldn't try to fly right after! :D ).

T Bone said:
Hi Missa, I haven't even reserved a plane yet. Probably do that tomorrow. Thing is, I've been flying so little, I really need to get the Xc logged (want to build some for beginning the IFR rating). Sounds like you've made other plans anyway. Hope to see you there!

Well, the planes fill up fast for weekends and you didn't answer yesterday. I figured that I would rather cancle the 140 then not go at all. If you still want to share a 172 let me know... you still get the XC time for the one leg as it's over 50km from point to point even if you don't fly it round trip. + you save a little cash and have someone to talk to!

Missa

Missa said:
Well, the planes fill up fast for weekends and you didn't answer yesterday. I figured that I would rather cancle the 140 then not go at all. If you still want to share a 172 let me know... you still get the XC time for the one leg as it's over 50km from point to point even if you don't fly it round trip. + you save a little cash and have someone to talk to!

Missa
Yeah, the thing is, like I said I've been flying very little this Summer :( and have a lot of catching up to do. I plan to be working huge hours very soon, so I really want to log all I can in Xc (need 50 for the instrument, I'd like to have 30 before I really start it, and I'm waaay short). Think I'm gonna fly this one solo (an extra hour in the book, a bit more if I stick to the 152), but it'd be great to see you there!

Missa said:
So, Mav...

Are you planing on going too? Is the cardinal cleared for use agian? I've got the baby plane right now from 8-12... Let me know if you want to claim the right seat before Mom tries!

Missa

I'd love to go but I have a MADD Michigan state board meeting in Lansing on the 27th. :mad:

Otherwise it would be fun. Have a great time and have a couple pancakes for me.

Jeannie

T Bone said:
Think I'm gonna fly this one solo (an extra hour in the book, a bit more if I stick to the 152), but it'd be great to see you there!

Ah yes the best way to build xc hours more quickly is to fly slower! ;)
Take the 152! See you there!

Missa:goofy:

Ok, I've got a plane For Saturday. Weather may be ok (scattered T'storns) if they are scattered engouth. But what I'd really like to do is know the rust off my instrument skills (what skills, I've only had 4 lessons but I want to do hood work anyway). Anyone 200lbs (it's only a 140) or less want to join me and be a saftey pilot?

Missa

I'm a bit over your limit, besides.... my current plan is to show up in N68230, a 152. I have it from 8-1. And from last weeks performance, it seems I need the practice! (Though the 152 is MUCH more familiar to me! B) ).

Hope to see y'all there.

Missa said:
Ok, I've got a plane For Saturday. Weather may be ok (scattered T'storns) if they are scattered engouth. But what I'd really like to do is know the rust off my instrument skills (what skills, I've only had 4 lessons but I want to do hood work anyway). Anyone 200lbs (it's only a 140) or less want to join me and be a saftey pilot?

Missa

The wrong side of 240 myself or I'd be happy to :(

I just got checked out in the 172s out at Flight 101 (PTK), but not familiar enough with them yet to do the fly-in thing. Man that thing floats compared to the Mooney !

SJP said:

I just got checked out in the 172s out at Flight 101 (PTK), but not familiar enough with them yet to do the fly-in thing. Man that thing floats compared to the Mooney !
Try it with a 90 degree XWind 15G23..... LOADS of fun! :)no: )

SJP said:

So are you not going at all?

Hum, how far over 240... I just did it last weekend with a freind at 230... and we were squeaking in at the forward CG limit... too bad you have to be at the controls to be a safty pilot, I know it would work if you were in the back. (Oh yea you saw my Freind... : ) Maybe if we drop a little gas out before TO...

Missa
-Off to recaculate W&B agian...

Missa said:
So are you not going at all?

Hum, how far over 240... I just did it last weekend with a freind at 230... and we were squeaking in at the forward CG limit... too bad you have to be at the controls to be a safty pilot, I know it would work if you were in the back. (Oh yea you saw my Freind... : ) Maybe if we drop a little gas out before TO...

Missa
-Off to recaculate W&B agian...

245 last time I checked

Missa said:
LEAVE ME ALONE! or I'll give you some bad rep! ;)

Sniff... I just get no respect around here.

Missa
But, but, I was defending you! :dunno: :dunno:

Geez, you try to do something NICE for someone and see where it gets you!!! :mad: :mad:

(Just kidding ;))

SJP said:
245 last time I checked

Hum, If we want to fly in the 140 together, it looks like one of us needs to lose some weight or one of us had to sit in the back seat. And not on a day with high DA or we'll never make the wires at the end of the runway. :hairraise:

On the up side a freind I asked to be safety pilot was going to South Bend for lunch and asked if I wanted to go along instead. 1/2 the cost of the plane, I get to be a passenger for 1/2 the flight... and she's a CFII so I'm sure to pick up a few things.

Sorry I'll be missing meeting some of you this weekend, maybe next weekend:blowingkisses:

Missa

Greebo said:
But, but, I was defending you! :dunno: :dunno:

Geez, you try to do something NICE for someone and see where it gets you!!! :mad: :mad:

(Just kidding ;))

Defending me, uh right... and how many knots can you tie in a mile?:goofy:

Missa
-Darn! it looks like I have some rep to spread around before I can giveit or takeith from you. :D

Last edited:
Missa said:
Hum, If we want to fly in the 140 together, it looks like one of us needs to lose some weight or one of us had to sit in the back seat. And not on a day with high DA or we'll never make the wires at the end of the runway. :hairraise:

Working on the weight reduction, but wont be done before the weekend. Down about 25 pounds so far :D

On the up side a freind I asked to be safety pilot was going to South Bend for lunch and asked if I wanted to go along instead. 1/2 the cost of the plane, I get to be a passenger for 1/2 the flight... and she's a CFII so I'm sure to pick up a few things.
Sounds like a blast - Enjoy !! :yes:

Sorry I'll be missing meeting some of you this weekend, maybe next weekend:blowingkisses:

Missa

I'll have to see how things work out, but next weekend may well work better - Hopefully I can get some time in the 172 before then and feel a little more comfortable -plus my Mooney buddy will probably be itching for a breakfast by then too ;)

Steve

SJP said:
Working on the weight reduction, but wont be done before the weekend. Down about 25 pounds so far :D

Me too... My instructor had a little gruman and will only take me up in it if I lose another 10lbs... I really need to work harder at it.

SJP said:
Sounds like a blast - Enjoy !! :yes:

Thanks I will!

SJP said:
I'll have to see how things work out, but next weekend may well work better - Hopefully I can get some time in the 172 before then and feel a little more comfortable -plus my Mooney buddy will probably be itching for a breakfast by then too ;)

Steve

I may even be able to get an Archer... they have more usefull load then the 140... If you want to fly safety, I'll see about getting it. Of course, pancake breakfasts and weight loss don't seem to go together well.

Missa

Missa said:
I may even be able to get an Archer... they have more usefull load then the 140... If you want to fly safety, I'll see about getting it. Of course, pancake breakfasts and weight loss don't seem to go together well.

Missa

Ahh, but they are weekend calories...and everyone knows those don't count :D

Drats! I'm out, a line of activity running from I-94 to North of Traverse City. Gary, should't rain on you for long (that's the good news). But it's too big to go around, and to far advanced to beat it there (you don't beat much in a 152 B) ) so, I guess I'll cancel my plane.... again :(

Last edited:
Missa said:

There's a way to do this... It's the good old "logging PIC" thing.

Pilot 1 and Pilot 2 rent a plane to go to a fly-in greater than 50nm from the point of origin. Pilot 1 goes under the hood and is the sole manipulator of the controls for the entire flight. Pilot 2 acts as safety pilot and legal PIC (brief this before the flight, and make sure P2 has current medical, properly rated, endorsed, and current to act as PIC).

Pilot 1 logs all Hobbs time as XC and PIC. Pilot 2 logs all time that Pilot 1 is under the hood as XC and PIC. Both have fun and get to log XC PIC for lower cost. Swap spots on the way back!

flyingcheesehead said:
There's a way to do this... It's the good old "logging PIC" thing.

Pilot 1 and Pilot 2 rent a plane to go to a fly-in greater than 50nm from the point of origin. Pilot 1 goes under the hood and is the sole manipulator of the controls for the entire flight. Pilot 2 acts as safety pilot and legal PIC (brief this before the flight, and make sure P2 has current medical, properly rated, endorsed, and current to act as PIC).

Pilot 1 logs all Hobbs time as XC and PIC. Pilot 2 logs all time that Pilot 1 is under the hood as XC and PIC. Both have fun and get to log XC PIC for lower cost. Swap spots on the way back!

Doesn't work. Pilot 2 can not log XC because XC requires a landing at an airport greater then 50 Nm from the depature airport. Since only Pilot 1 makes that landing (and is not under the hood unless both are compleatly stupid) only Pilot 1 can log XC time. Pilot 2 can log the time Pilot 1 is under the hood as PIC but can not log it as XC time. Pilot 1 gets XC to the Fly-in, Pilot 2 gets XC from the fly-in, both get PIC both ways. That's the best you can do.

Missa

Last edited:
T Bone said:
Drats! I'm out, a line of activity running from I-94 to North of Traverse City. Gary, should't rain on you for long (that's the good news). But it's too big to go around, and to far advanced to beat it there (you don't beat much in a 152 B) ) so, I guess I'll cancel my plane.... again :(

I got socked in too. Spent some time over at the airport watching the AWOS go between 600 & 400 feet overcast to broken w/ an average of 1 1/4 vis. We then gave up and went over to the mall for some much needed shopping and lunch. It cleared up MUCH later (around 6ish) but we had already decided not to go up. It's beutiful today.

Grumble, too bad I have to go sit at a baby shower for a cousin... :(

Missa

Re: Logging XC PIC

Missa said:
Doesn't work. Pilot 2 can not log XC because XC requires a landing at an airport greater then 50 Nm from the depature airport. Since only Pilot 1 makes that landing (and is not under the hood unless both are compleatly stupid) only Pilot 1 can log XC time. Pilot 2 can log the time Pilot 1 is under the hood as PIC but can not log it as XC time. Pilot 1 gets XC to the Fly-in, Pilot 2 gets XC from the fly-in, both get PIC both ways. That's the best you can do.

Missa

Hmmm... I disagree, but even if you are correct, there's a way to fix it.

First, here's the relevant portion of 14 CFR 61.1:

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

I read that like this: "Time acquired during a flight that includes a point of landing..." It doesn't say that landing has to be performed by the person to be able to log cross country, just that the flight has to have a landing >50 nm from the point of departure. After all, the point of cross country is to navigate and find another airport, thus I believe that (C) is the most important qualifier. The under-the-hood pilot is going to be using electronic/radio/other navigation aids, while the safety pilot is going to be using pilotage.

Now, even if you read it as the pilot requiring a landing rather than the flight, couldn't you simply go once more around the pattern at the destination and have the other pilot perform a landing as well? The formerly-hooded pilot couldn't log the trip around the pattern, but now both pilots have had a landing >50nm away right? In fact, if you didn't want to have someone landing from the right seat, couldn't you log that landing on a trip around the pattern at the beginning of the return flight? It's still >50nm from the original point of departure...

Food for thought. Does Ron read this conference? I'd like to hear what he has to say.

flyingcheesehead said:
Hmmm... I disagree, ...

Food for thought. Does Ron read this conference? I'd like to hear what he has to say.
Ron was not readying this thread because Ron isn't going all the way to Michigan just for breakfast. But Missa's interpretation is closest to the FAA's policy on this subject -- safety pilots required only by 14 CFR 91.109(b) don't get to log XC time. Only if the second pilot is required by Part 121/135 or the aircraft type certificate or something like that (including instructors giving instruction) can the nonmanipulator log XC time.

Now, I don't agree with that interpretation, but when I asked the question, that's the answer I got from AFS-800 via the Regional Counsel.

Ron Levy said:
Ron was not readying this thread because Ron isn't going all the way to Michigan just for breakfast. But Missa's interpretation is closest to the FAA's policy on this subject -- safety pilots required only by 14 CFR 91.109(b) don't get to log XC time. Only if the second pilot is required by Part 121/135 or the aircraft type certificate or something like that (including instructors giving instruction) can the nonmanipulator log XC time.

Now, I don't agree with that interpretation, but when I asked the question, that's the answer I got from AFS-800 via the Regional Counsel.

I think this discussion has taken place before either here or on some other board and it was on this and other conversations I based my statement on. As far as my licence and ratings go I would rather be on the safe side then suffer the consequences if the FAA looks at my log book and says, my this doesn't count as XC, you shouldn't have a Instrument Rating. Yank!

Missa

Ron Levy said:
Ron was not readying this thread because Ron isn't going all the way to Michigan just for breakfast.

Aw, but why not? The MI group is a fun bunch!

Missa:blowingkisses:

Back