green light for launch

Welcome to the east. I am glad you made your way through the haze without mishap. I keep Tylenol in my handbag for the inevitable headache.

I hope you are taking pictures of your adventure that you can post later.

Sounds like a great trip so far. I wouldn't let the idiot at the ILG FBO bother you too much. He no doubt thinks it would be a great business as long as there weren't any pesky customers. With his attitude he may het get his wish.

I enjoy reading your post. Keep them comming and have fun.

lancefisher said:
Sounds like a great trip so far. I wouldn't let the idiot at the ILG FBO bother you too much. He no doubt thinks it would be a great business as long as there weren't any pesky customers. With his attitude he may het get his wish.

I just don't get people like that. She's buying fuel, and probably paying a tiedown or overnight fee. Who cares if she goes out to the plane a lot? Very strange. I'd post that in Airnav.

Anthony said:
I just don't get people like that. She's buying fuel, and probably paying a tiedown or overnight fee. Who cares if she goes out to the plane a lot? Very strange. I'd post that in Airnav.

Gonna. Thanks for the reminder.

Judy

Judy: Great updates! To bad about the experience at ILG. I have not found it to be a particularly friendly field. All business just dosent have that " HiHowareya GA feeling"

Ed Guthrie said:
Judy,

Don't know if you'll read this before you leave Chapel Hill, but if you are looking for decent food "Top of the Hill", on the corner of Columbia & Franklin Street is about the best bet. Great sandwiches to be had at a place who's current name escapes me, but two store fronts south of Henderson St, on Franklin Street (working your way away from the main "downtown" disctrict ). IOW, three store fronts south of the post office at the corner of Franklin and Henderson St.

Ed,

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't get it before I'd had lunch today, and I am supposed to be gone by lunch tomorrow. But if I get stuck here for weather, I'll definitely check it out.

Judy

Good visits in Chapel Hill, then the weekend of the 4th, when everyone is not working. The chairman of my math dept invited me to spend the weekend with him and his family on the shore in southeasternmost NC, Ocean Isle, which happens to have a little airport a few miles from the rented condo. How convenient! Flew down there and they picked me up. Hm. Their teeny rental car is packed to the gills, and I've got a huge duffle bag. OK. I don't need the whole thing. What do I really need? Bathing suit, shorts, T-shirt, flip-flops, necessaries. No problemo. They'll fit into the very small duffle that I use for holding my camera, etc., in the airplane.

Their son and his new wife (they had just eloped) were there, so I took them on a short flight up to Cape Fear and back--honeymoon flight! Possibly a first for Sherbet? (Sherbet is my airplane.) Cool! Running on the beach, swimming, lounging, watching the Tour de France on TV. A real honest-to-God vacation! And, I had a new experience: sitting in a beach chair at the edge of the water and letting the tide rise around you. Extremely relaxing! Can't do that in California (water's too cold) or Hawaii (no tides). Loved it!

And I discovered that in some parts of the country, "dry" is an amusing abstraction.

Must get to Baton Rouge. Oops! TD Cindy. Well, that's a no-brainer--no Baton Rouge. Good thing my development coordinator is going there on the airlines. He'll have to have the meeting. OK, can I at LEAST get through the mess to the western side before it gets totally out of hand. Well, maybe. Boy, I didn't miss having an internet hookup during the vacation part, but sure did when I needed to see what was going on. But even the Weather Channel showed that I should head directly west and even a bit north again. Hm. Fog in eastern SC. Can't get off before 10. Is that enough time to get where I need to go (target, Jackson TN)? Nope. By about the SC-TN-GA border area, T-storms all around. Call flight watch--any way through? Well, if you divert north to Crossville you might get through. Buildups over there look a little big, but the buildups elsewhere are worse. Man, I don't mind dodging T-storms where you can SEE them (as in most of the West), but these are gonna be so high I'll have to go low, into the haze. T-storms to the left, T-storms to the right. I think I'll land. Head to AND (very close to where I was), forget that if there is an FSS at an untowered field, they'll give airport advisories, some confusion on radio until I dredge that tidbit up from my past training (like at least 10 years past--how many of these are left, anyway?).

Go hang out at the FSS. There's a nice hole toward Huntington, but is it a sucker hole? Decide yes and get a room. Outlooks are for MVFR or even VFR for my route tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Judy

Judy, When you fly back home we are located in eastern Oregon. S49 is on the old Oregon Trail. We would be glad to put you up for the night or have lunch. Keep us informed.

Judy,

At least you'll pick up some tailwinds headed westbound if you're on the north side of TS Cindy....

bill

Judy,

If you are in SC call me. Severe weather alerts today as Cindy moves through.

Carol

Well, I tried to get out. It looked like I should be able to go north and then west, but I found myself between cloud layers and things getting darker, and I wasn't real happy with that, so I turned back. Two hours of flying to end up where I started. I might be here for a couple of days. That pretty much trashes the rest of my trip. Sigh.

On a brighter note, Carol is coming down to take me out to dinner tonight. Is that nice, or what?

PIREP on Anderson: The FBO folks are super nice and it's nice to have an FSS right there (although it didn't do me any good, come to think of it!) Gas is a bit spendy, but when isn't it?

Judy

Frustration and uncertainty! All the METARS are VFR, but the airmets for mtn obsc and IFR continue, with T-storms closing in. I'd gotten a car and a room. Did I screw up? Should I have hung out and waited for a window? I almost left the room and car and took off, but I can see the T-storms building on the only route out. Would I have gotten caught in a T-storm if I'd tried to get through? Argh!!!! What the HECK is going on, anyway?

I know it's going to get worse. Well, maybe. No IFR in the thick of the depression. What the heck does THAT mean?

I can tell you one thing--I'm not going to attempt to do any business in the SE until I get my panel upgraded and get current again on instruments. This is insane.

Since I have lots of time, I finally totaled the fuel and hours so far: 598 gallons of fuel, something over 54 hours. Fuel burn on average 10.9 gph, which is about what I usually get. Not a bad fuel burn rate for a C182. Of course, it IS a light one.

Judy

Maybe they should reposition those VMC generators off the aprts and along your route of flight. Sorry to hear of your frustrations, you be safe out there. There must be some mind diverting ground based activities in which you may indulge?

Avast, at least it aint Buttonwillow.

Last edited:
Hey, Judy...

I came back from DC last year on the leading edge of one of the hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast. Once I got on top of the schmoo, it was pretty easy sailing with a nice tailwind. The closer you get to the eye, the thicker the clouds will be - except the eye itself is usually pretty clear (hence the saying....). Remember that the rain and stuff comes in bands.

Cindy is moving at a pretty good clip. This site is one that ought to be in your list for the Southeast: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The longer you wait, the worse it will get until the storm passes. With Dennis coming up fast, you'll want to see if you can get out before storms.

Is your panel good enough to punch through a layer? And are you current? You might want to take a look at the tops report and see if you can end up on top.

One more thing... that NE side of the storm will have the most energy & moisture. I think you're on the east side, so conditions will be worse than on the west....

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Cindy is moving at a pretty good clip. This site is one that ought to be in your list for the Southeast: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

***snip***

Is your panel good enough to punch through a layer? And are you current? You might want to take a look at the tops report and see if you can end up on top.

Got that site, but thanks. And no and no. My panel is technically legal for IFR, but the one time I tried flying with it in IMC, I scared myself, so I vowed not to do that again until I got it upgraded. Which means I didn't stay current, which means I'm VFR-only right now.

Actually, while it looks like I'll be stuck here tomorrow, Friday's lookin' good, so I will get out of here ahead of Dennis for sure. I might even get out to the southwest tomorrow. In the meantime, I just had dinner with Carol Theiler, who is a super lady. She and I tried to meet up in Idaho last year and it didn't work out, so it was fun to finally meet.

And I got to work out this afternoon, which is good after sitting on my butt for such a long time (actually, I got to run a couple of times on the beach this weekend, but before THAT I sat on my butt a lot). I call this the Zen of being a VFR pilot. ;)

Judy

judypilot said:
Actually, while it looks like I'll be stuck here tomorrow, Friday's lookin' good, so I will get out of here ahead of Dennis for sure. I might even get out to the southwest tomorrow. In the meantime, I just had dinner with Carol Theiler, who is a super lady.....
Judy

<blush>

It's Judy that's the super lady, y'all. What a pleasure to meet her. I am looking forward to the next time.

If you find you are staying longer let me know, we'll do what we can to make it more comfortable for you.

This is the best serialized account since CarolT went to Alaska and other places a few years ago. But we'll need to see pictures when your head clears.

HR

Lawreston said:
This is the best serialized account since CarolT went to Alaska and other places a few years ago. But we'll need to see pictures when your head clears.

HR

Harley,

Pix will follow when I get home--I don't have the cable for my camera nor a card slot. Actually, I haven't taken a lot of pix. This is business (mostly), and I'm just not in that mode. But I do have a few.

Judy

Well.....still in Anderson, SC. The airmet for IFR and MTN OBSC were supposed to be lifted at 1600 EDT, so I considered hanging around, but I was tired from having stayed up too late watching the Tour de France (which has been quite exciting, BTW), and I was tired. The thought of STARTING a 3.5-hour trip (to Greenville, MS) at 1600 was too exhausting. Ended up with the same rental car, but got a room in a different hotel. It was too frustrating not being able to check the weather and put together alternate flight plans without running down to the lobby all the time.

I did go for a look. It was down to a very narrow band of low-level rain showers in my way. I headed out and was able to dodge the showers, but eventually the ceiling started dropping about where the terrain started rising (surprise), and when I realized I was in danger of having to start dodging tall towers (risky even with good visibilities), I turned back. Sigh.

They're promising a window tomorrow, but then again, it was supposed to be breaking up by now and isn't. I sure hope I don't end up in a squeeze play. While this front was enough to steer Cindy a bit, I doubt it would touch Dennis--it's too weak. Anyway, gonna get a good night's sleep tonight.

I repeat that the people at the FBO in AND are great. Of course, I'm buying a lot of fuel from them (when I arrived and the two times I went for a look. ;)

Judy

Hallelujah!!! Even though people in AND were really nice, it was nice to get away. Wheels up about 0930 local, or as soon as the fog developed holes. Nice flight to Addison, with a refueling stop in Tupelo. My original refueling stop was to be Greenville, MS, I diverted north because of some storms. Thanks, Flightwatch!

So I arrived at ADS, only to turn on my cell phone and find that my appointment had been cancelled! ADS wasn't exactly on the way home, and had I known, I would have headed on a more direct route. Oh well. I was tired, got a nice room, and just had a nice Mexican dinner. Can't get good Mexican in Moscow, so that's a major good thing.

Beautiful day of flying. I was in haze for awhile, but finally got clear. I had to keep climbing to stay above the clouds, but I haven oxygen now, so that wasn't a problem, and on the last step up (to 12,500'), I saw something I'd never seen before--a collapsing buildup. Some clouds were building, with some towers, and I was headed straight for a tower. I climbed to get above, but realized I'd have to divert slightly to go around. On the climb, the tower suddenly started seeming lower. I knew I wasn't climbing that fast, and so I watched it, and sure enough, the top collapsed and the cloud top ended up at the same level as the surrounding clouds. I watched another tower and saw it do the same thing. Usually these things just keep going because condensation releases latent heat which contributes to the buildup. I guess the air just wasn't quite moist enough to keep it going, and once the latent heat was released to the next atmospheric level up, the oomph was lost. It was cool.

Eventually, it was clear, and yahoo!!! Finally some western-style visibilities! After being in the murk for a couple of weeks, it was good to be back in the West.

Tomorrow I visit a friend near Tulsa, for just an hour or so, and then head home. I should make it by Sunday evening.

Judy

judypilot said:
Hallelujah!!!

Hallelujah indeed! Glad to hear you made it out okay. I know how you feel getting west of this stuff :)

Although it meant an unexpected and extended layover for you I am awfully glad I got to meet you.

Fly safe.

Carol said:
Hallelujah indeed! Glad to hear you made it out okay. I know how you feel getting west of this stuff :)

Although it meant an unexpected and extended layover for you I am awfully glad I got to meet you.

That was the best part about getting stuck, meeting Carol

When I got to ADS, there was a message on my cell phone from someone who had seen my airplane on the ramp at AND and recognized it. This is a woman who is the sister of a guy on another web forum, and I'd met her and her husband briefly a few months ago. They used to live in Boise. They've moved to SC (I knew they'd moved, but didn't know where). Yet another incident of Sherbet being the most recognizable plane in the country. The previous owner said this would happen to me. :yes:

I had another funny small-world experience at AND, too. When I was at Ocean Isle, there was a beautifully restored Twin Beech on the ramp. Gorgeous airplane. When I arrived at AND, there was the same Twin Beech! I guess he also got grounded by weather.

Today I start heading back home, and I'll be stopping briefly to visit an acquaintance in Tulsa. Too long for one day, but I should make it home by Sunday evening.

Judy

Didn't sleep very well last night, which was unfortunate. Woke very early, and was in Tulsa by 0945 CDT. This is the first time I've been cleared for three runways for one landing. I flew into Riverside, which is a very busy airport, and was cleared for right base 19R, then asked to enter a mid-field downwind for 19R instead. At the last minute, he switched me to 19L, which puzzled me because I was a lot closer to the plane ahead for 19L than the one for 19R. On basically short final, he asked me to do S-turns for spacing (like there's any room), and finally asked me to go around. I stayed in the pattern for 19L, and when I was on base, he cleared me for 19R. That time I finally got to land.

Oh well, it was good to practice a go-around. I hadn't been asked to do one in a long time, and hadn't practiced in awhile. Perfectly executed, if I do say so myself. ;)

Visited my acquaintance in Tulsa, who was kind enough to find a Starbucks (the only place that makes coffee strong enough for me) and buy coffee and a scone for me. He showed me his new (to him) C425, which is a twin turboprop, his C182 (which he doesn't fly enough), and the office/apartment he's building in his hangar. I guess he can afford to buy me some coffee. A super nice guy, though, and a geologist as well--what's not to like?

Headed west with the intention of refueling and maybe overnighting in Akron, CO, which is about halfway home from Tulsa. Had a very smooth flight (and found myself annoyed by the "murk", i.e., "only" 12-15 miles visibility--ha!) at 8500', and used oxygen because I was tired. I'd never have used oxygen at such a low altitude under any other circumstance. I guess it helped, but I think my exhaustion overruled everything. I made it about 12 miles past Goodland, KS, and started running into turbulence, which normally wouldn't faze me, but today I just decided I didn't want to deal with it. I turned back to Goodland, where I was treated royally by the FBO. Am now ensconced in a motel room with wireless, a real coffee pot (hotels are starting to go with these one-cup brewers, which I hate, but that's another story), and cell reception. I'm beat.

Only 6 hours home tomorrow (well, 7, if you count the inevitable refueling stop), weather permitting. I need a hug from my husband and a snuggle with my dogs. There was a dog at the FBO in Goodland, and I couldn't resist picking him up and snuggling him, I miss them so much (I don't do similar things to passing men, however much I miss my husband, however).

Judy

Judy,

I live in the Bay Area (Palo Alto) is just across the bay. Lunch anytime, send e-mail.

Stache

Stache said:
Judy,

I live in the Bay Area (Palo Alto) is just across the bay. Lunch anytime, send e-mail.

Stache

Stache,

PAO is my preferred airport now that my parents have moved from Burlingame to Saratoga. The problem is, when I'm there, I'm always doing family stuff, and never seem to have time for other activities. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Judy

judypilot said:
Headed west with the intention of refueling and maybe overnighting in Akron, CO, which is about halfway home from Tulsa. I made it about 12 miles past Goodland, KS, and started running into turbulence........

Judy

Judy,

Too bad you didn't make it to Akron. Nice little airport, very friendly folks there. Gave us the 'van' for the night we were there, got a clean room at the local hotel (they LOVE pilots) and had a pretty decent pizza in town where we had a long chat with an elderly couple that have lived there most of their lives. Very pleasant stay.

We'll have to check out Goodland next time we're in the area.

Well, I didn't really intend for this to be a blog, but there you go. Here's the final chapter.

Slept great in GLD, fortunately. Really fortunately, as I ended up flying 9.4 hours yesterday! Had a lot to keep me busy.

Very smooth most of the way to Riverton, WY; just the last few miles were a little bumpy, and even better, I was able to do most of it low-level (no oxygen needed). Things looked really, really dark ahead at RIW, though. Ate lunch, camped on the computer, and decided to at least go take a look. This is a commonly needed strategy in the mountains, and not dangerous so long as you don't push it and are willing to turn back (and always have an out). Got to the pass over to the Tetons, and there was some scuddy stuff, but I could see it was dissipating fast. Circled once then was able to pop through. The only bad thing about this is it tends to be a bit bumpy and you're not at the 2000' voluntary altitude above park property, but I also wasn't lingering long enough to bother anyone too much. There was no way I was going to go over the mountains, and once you reach the valley that contains Jackson Hole, you've got two low-level options, one south down the Snake River valley and one north over Jackson Lake then west. The southern route means you have to dodge the Jackson Hole airspace, so fortunately, the northern route was clear.

That dumped me out a bit north of my planned flight path, which became significant when it became clear without hardly even going to look that I wasn't going to get through the mountains in Idaho. I didn't even have to call flightwatch. I know that area pretty well by now, and I'm not that brave!

There are a number of possible routes, and from talking to flightwatch, it was obvious that things were better to the west, so I started circumventing the mountains, which meant flying pretty far southwest, then west, then northwest. Nada. I ended up in Boise. Look at a map, and you'll see just how much of a diversion that was. Worse, it was turbulent as heck. Nothing worth setting down for, but very wearing because it's tiring and slow (I fly at Va a lot around the mountains!).

I landed in Boise to refuel and regroup and check the weather again. Definitely better to the west, but still a few showers. The terrain between BOI and PUW has two great advantages for taking a look: (1) I know the area and all the airstrips very well and (2) it's lower. So off I went. To give you an idea, I never got above 6500'. The worst part was a rain squall in the Salmon River canyon, but it happened right over one of the airstrips, so I knew I could land if the visibility got too bad, which it didn't.

Felt good to land in PUW, although I have to say that by the time I got there, I was so tired I didn't really feel much of anything. Made a perfect landing, though. Slept like a log last night. Nothing like your own bed complete with mate.

Judy

Oh, I've developed a new pet peeve. Pay attention all you CFIs! When flying in the West, especially if you're relatively low, flight following isn't an option because they can't see you. So I tend to monitor the frequencies of airports I'm flying near, ASOS and AWOS of airports I'm flying near (keep that altimeter current), and Flightwatch.

OK folks, when you call Flightwatch tell them where you are!!!!. These guys cover huge areas with several sectors and RCOs. They don't know which one to answer you on if you don't tell them where you are. It's very frustrating for them to have to keep punching all the RCOs to figure out where someone is calling from, and it slows down their being able to serve other pilots.

Judy

Hey Judy,

I have Sherbet's slightly older brother here in Lafayette. 1959' 182 Creamsicle (I hate Orange) :)

Nice Plane :)

Last edited:
Eamon said:
Hey Judy,

I have Sherbet's slightly older brother here in Lafayette. 1959' 182 Creamsicle (I hate Orange) :)

Nice Plane :)

Eamon,

Creamsicle is younger than Sherbet, if she's a '59. Sherbet's a '58.

Judy

judypilot said:
Oh, I've developed a new pet peeve. Pay attention all you CFIs! When flying in the West, especially if you're relatively low, flight following isn't an option because they can't see you. So I tend to monitor the frequencies of airports I'm flying near, ASOS and AWOS of airports I'm flying near (keep that altimeter current), and Flightwatch.

OK folks, when you call Flightwatch tell them where you are!!!!. These guys cover huge areas with several sectors and RCOs. They don't know which one to answer you on if you don't tell them where you are. It's very frustrating for them to have to keep punching all the RCOs to figure out where someone is calling from, and it slows down their being able to serve other pilots.

Judy

Judy, you are so right. Much like inaccurate position reports, which are often worse than no report at all, making a communication which depends upon a known position and not reporting that position is so frustrating. It hurts my hears when I hear these.

Making the proper calls to Flight Watch has been a problem for a long time mostly because of what you describe. While it would seem the CFIs are not teaching the correct procedure I don't know how much of the blame can be attributed to the instructor community although my primary CFI did teach me the proper technique but he didn't place much emphasis on it. That lack of emphasis conveyed to me that it wasn't of much concern. My PPL solo x/c taught me how important Flight Watch is. Especially in this e-technogadget world we are forgetting the basics.

When flying in non-coverage areas I monitor guard and center (when available) switching to automated wx as required.

Judy, I share that peeve.:yes: I monitor 122.0 most of the time. It really helps with the big picture. But like you, I hear all the time the 'where are you game'. Often a pilot will give the frequency (122.0 duh). Postion helps a bunch. EFAS cover a huge area.

A corollary peeve, the high altitude pilots using 122.0. Their powerful radios from FL28 dominate things for a thousance miles. I remember a jet over Minnesota taking at least 15 minutes looking for routes to Florida. Specialist finally gave him the high altitude freq.

OK, you wanted pictures, I will start posting pictures, but I don't have a lot of time, so I won't post them very fast.

Here is a photo of Ouray Mountain, which is about 3 miles west of Salida, CO. I was landing at Salida, and after coming over the pass, had to circle to descend for the airport, the elevation differential is so great.

Judy

judypilot said:
OK, you wanted pictures, I will start posting pictures, but I don't have a lot of time, so I won't post them very fast.

Here is a photo of Ouray Mountain, which is about 3 miles west of Salida, CO. I was landing at Salida, and after coming over the pass, had to circle to descend for the airport, the elevation differential is so great.

Judy

Ooooo, look at that clear sky!

judypilot said:
Hallelujah!!! Even though people in AND were really nice, it was nice to get away. Wheels up about 0930 local, or as soon as the fog developed holes. Nice flight to Addison, with a refueling stop in Tupelo. My original refueling stop was to be Greenville, MS, I diverted north because of some storms. Thanks, Flightwatch!

So I arrived at ADS, only to turn on my cell phone and find that my appointment had been cancelled! ADS wasn't exactly on the way home, and had I known, I would have headed on a more direct route. Oh well. I was tired, got a nice room, and just had a nice Mexican dinner. Can't get good Mexican in Moscow, so that's a major good thing.

Beautiful day of flying. I was in haze for awhile, but finally got clear. I had to keep climbing to stay above the clouds, but I haven oxygen now, so that wasn't a problem, and on the last step up (to 12,500'), I saw something I'd never seen before--a collapsing buildup. Some clouds were building, with some towers, and I was headed straight for a tower. I climbed to get above, but realized I'd have to divert slightly to go around. On the climb, the tower suddenly started seeming lower. I knew I wasn't climbing that fast, and so I watched it, and sure enough, the top collapsed and the cloud top ended up at the same level as the surrounding clouds. I watched another tower and saw it do the same thing. Usually these things just keep going because condensation releases latent heat which contributes to the buildup. I guess the air just wasn't quite moist enough to keep it going, and once the latent heat was released to the next atmospheric level up, the oomph was lost. It was cool.

Eventually, it was clear, and yahoo!!! Finally some western-style visibilities! After being in the murk for a couple of weeks, it was good to be back in the West.

Tomorrow I visit a friend near Tulsa, for just an hour or so, and then head home. I should make it by Sunday evening.

Judy

Judy;

ADS is my home base. Sorry I´m not there, it would have been great to meet you. Wish I could keep up with your trip better. Unfortunately, interenet connections here in Cozumel are difficult for me to get to. Please do try to get back here sometime when I´m around.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Judy;

ADS is my home base. Sorry I´m not there, it would have been great to meet you. Wish I could keep up with your trip better. Unfortunately, interenet connections here in Cozumel are difficult for me to get to. Please do try to get back here sometime when I´m around.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave,

I'm not sure if you're angling for sympathy or not. It's hard to work up much for someone who is hanging out in Cozumel!

I'll be back in Dallas, never worry!

Judy

The saga continues......and you all thought I'd made it home!

Well, I did, but I'm at it again. I cut the last trip short, so I'm making up for it by doing another one, this time to southern California. I was having so much fun blogging my last trip that I thought, what the heck? I might as well continue it. At least I'm not wasting any trees, and no one has to read it.

So, I took off from PUW yesterday morning at 0630, headed to PSP (Palm Springs). What a contrast to the start of the last trip! Smooth as glass to Ely, NV. Saw a new forest fire in southern Idaho, and reported it to FSS. They said they'd gotten a report about an hour before and had notified the fire people, and there was no TFR. I got right over it (it was under the airway), and saw two aircraft, a helicopter painted in emergency colors and what looked like a spotter plane. Called FSS back and told them about the aircraft, and they said they'd call Center, which issues the TFRs.

Landed in Ely after a tanker helicopter (Skycrane outfitted with a huge tank and a giant hose) and I both started turning final from opposite directions and he said "ladies first". I told him that I knew helicopter pilots were gentlemen because I married one. It was an impressive machine. Nice folks.

Took off from Ely and called to open my flight plan and get an update on weather and fire TFRs in the St. George area. A chance remark from the briefer led to a new and useful bit of knowledge--when you file through DUATS, it doesn't give them your proposed routing, so they think it's direct. If you file for search and rescue (which I do), that's pretty important to know! So I said, no, I'm not going direct, that would be through a bunch of hot MOAs. He said, "which ones?" I told him. He said, "why don't you call Nellis approach?" I mumbled something about not wanting to share airspace with fighters and filed for the original routing.

By that time, however, I could see weather over my proposed route, whereas there was a big hole where I'd go if I went direct. Called Nellis Approach. They couldn't have been nicer. Gave me a squawk code and promised to keep the jet jockeys away from me.

Cruisin' along and the thunderheads are growing, as per usual. Called FlightWatch at a propitious moment, and they wanted me to break off and go west, young woman. Well, west was into some restricted airspace that I also knew was active, but it looked like I could cut west after I got past that space and over Las Vegas. They weren't real happy with that idea; weather NW of Las Vegas, though it didn't look all that bad to me, and there was a big hole in the direction I was going, so I thanked them and signed off.

By the time I got into the LV basin, I saw what they meant. Huge, dark, ugly--I mean UGLY--thunderstorm over the Spring Mountains. But it wasn't moving, and was likely to stay over the mountains 'cause that's what these desert Tstorms often do, and there was still a big hole to the SW on my planned route (this was plan C, though...plan A was to avoid the MOAs, plan B was to head to a VOR south of LV and then west, so plan C was to head SW from Vegas). Airliners asking for deviations all over the place.

Handed off to LV approach, and they said "the airlines seem to be taking V394" and I said "that was my intention, too". OK. So I'm skirting the western edge of the LV Class B (actually above it, though), heading toward an intersection with V394. Cell starting to develop off my right wing, but no biggie (BTW--don't forget I learned to fly and to this day have still done most of my flying in southern Arizona, so I'm REAL familiar with how these things look and behave and when to worry and when not to worry, so I wasn't doing anything dangerous). LV asks me about the cell, and I tell them that it looks like it's starting to precipitate, and they say OK. Hand me off to LA Center.

Cruisin' along. Big cell just south of me, with intense rain and lightning, but I'm just under the edge in the clear, and it's CAVU to the north (in the restricted areas) and ahead. Incidentally, the air is smooth throughout this phase--it is an oddity of desert flying that it is often smoothest in between and near thunderstorm cells, but bumpy as heck from thermals when it's clear, and that's what I experienced.

Almost nicked the extreme NW corner of a restricted area (oops!), but LA kindly waved me off. Air a bit bumpy, but not too bad, and surprisingly cool.

Then the descent into h..., er, PSP. About 6500' I get knocked about pretty good by thermals, then below that it's actually smoother but hotter than the hubs of Hades. Like I needed reminding of why I moved to Idaho.

PSP approach, which presumably shares the tower cab with the tower controller, has vectored me for 13R, and hands me off to tower. Me: "Palm Springs Tower, Cessna 4822D, 5000', descending". Tower: "State your intentions!!!" Huh? Me: "I was being vectored for 13R, landing Palm Springs, parking at Signature." Tower: "Cleared to land 13R." I continue for landing, rather mystified about how, among all the controllers I'd just been working with, he uniquely did not know my destination was PSP, or if he knew it, what the heck he thought my intentions could possibly once I arrived at PSP other than to land. Right before landing, I hear him snap, unjustifiably, at another plane. Hm. Musta gotten out of the wrong side of bed.

Signature was great. Treated me like a Citation. Very nice folks. I'm dyin' from the heat.

My colleague shows up with air conditioned car, and with a few hours before our dinner, I try out the pool. Aaaah!

Take off from PSP this morning, hoping to impress my colleague (who'd flown down on the airlines because he has to leave this gig earlier than I do, and will fly out from LAX tomorrow) with the busyness of the LA airspace and the cool professionalism of this ace pilot in handling the workload.

Tower (not the same guy) clears me for TO, and they know I'm going to Fullerton. So I'm expecting a handoff to departure. Nothing. Skywest ready to takeoff. Nothing. Ground vehicle 214 needs permission to do something. Nothing. I call again. Skywest calls again. Ground vehicle calls again. I'm getting closer to the mountains, no handoff to departure, no turning instructions, what the heck is going on? Finally, Tower comes on. "My headset wasn't working". Yeah, right. Probably unplugged himself reaching for his coffee.

I get the handoff, and shortly thereafter, departure dumps me into nothingness--I'd asked for flight following. OK, I can handle this. Start calling the closest frequency (March approach) on the TAC. No answer. Hm. Maybe March is closed for the day--it happens, your tax dollars at work. Call SoCal approach frequency on the chart. No answer. Call the SoCal approach frequency published for PSP. No answer. Check plugs and cables and switches. Everything fine. Call PSP departure back. "Yeah, you're in no-man's land, that's why we dump you. Try 119.65." OK. Is 119.65 published on any of the relevant charts and publications? Nooooooo. Oh well, no problem. They answer, everything's copacetic.

Copacetic.......and dead. Where is everyone? SoCal frequencies are dead as doorknobs. No chance to show off my ace pilot skills in handling fast and furious communication. Who'da thunk it?

This reminds me of one time when I was flying United to Chicago and was listening to the cockpit communications. I'd just started working on my instrument rating, and was very interested in hearing how the approaches were all being integrated into ORD. This was back when they still collected the headsets toward the end of the flight, and I asked the flight attendant if I could keep mine and why. She asked the captain, and he said OK, so I got to listen. There was NOTHING happening. We could have been the only airplane approaching ORD for all the communication I heard. I commented on it to the captain when I deplaned, and he said, "Yeah we were laughing about that. We've never heard it that quiet." So much for an IFR learning experience. But I digress.

Landed at FUL, got to our meeting, nice lunch and tour of the plant, found hotel. Flirted briefly with the idea of going to Disneyland (it's about 4 miles away), but hey, I'm on duty and it's not enough time anyway.

Tonight we couldn't line up a dinner with any of our alumni, so I'm having dinner with Jeff Oslick of this very board (and the CPA web forum) and his wife. Indian food! Yum!

Judy

Last edited:
I sure enjoyed reading that and having flown in many of the same areas I have experienced some of those same ATC oddities. You did bring your camera this time, right?

Back