green light for launch

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
One of the fun parts about my current position is that I'm expected to travel quite a lot, and my employer is happy to have me do the traveling in my airplane because it's cheaper for them.

Today I launch on a month-long trip that will take me all over the country (well, not ALL over, but I'll be spanning the distance between Palo Alto, CA, and Wilmington, DE, in one direction and Pullman, WA, and Houston, TX, in the other.

Weather looks good, if a bit bumpy, for the first leg. If anyone's interested, I can give position reports and stories from time to time.

Judy

If you keep us posted on your itinerary, various of us can do lunches etc with you as you go along. We certainly do seem to have people at just about every spot you might end up. For example, there are a whole bunch of us that are not too far from Wilmington DE. I have been meaning to check out the Italian restaurant there, which I am told is quite decent.

Sounds like a fun way to business travel, anyway.

Jim G

Sounds like a blast. That's one thing I've never found time to do, just wander all around the country on one trip. Any chance you're coming near MSP?

judypilot said:
One of the fun parts about my current position is that I'm expected to travel quite a lot, and my employer is happy to have me do the traveling in my airplane because it's cheaper for them.

Today I launch on a month-long trip that will take me all over the country (well, not ALL over, but I'll be spanning the distance between Palo Alto, CA, and Wilmington, DE, in one direction and Pullman, WA, and Houston, TX, in the other.

Weather looks good, if a bit bumpy, for the first leg. If anyone's interested, I can give position reports and stories from time to time.

Judy

Judy, stop by and see us and stay with us if you're in the neighborhood.

By all means, Judy! Post away!

I am so jealous. Fly safe. Call if you are anywhere near the western Carolinas.

Judy

Four Five Romeo. Houston Sectional...Lunch at Mama Jacks!

Merf
(You get my first POA post if I can figure out how this danged thing works)

judypilot said:
Judy

Have fun, Judy...

Post trip reports (and pictures!).

If you fly over San Antonio, stop and say hi (and have some great neighborhood Mexican food)...

grattonja said:
For example, there are a whole bunch of us that are not too far from Wilmington DE.

Right. There are probably a dozen folks within spitting distance of Wilmington. Do post regarding your adventure.

Len

You are welcome to drop by here again Judy, I will arrange the buildups to be elsewhere that day. Or, will you be in the region of Gaston's next weekend?

And my employer prohibits the use of light aircraft on company business. I knew there had to be something good about the UofI.

Have a great trip and keep us posted!

Judy, I too want to hear of your travels. Maybe we can have a fly-in when you're in CA. I can think of at least five POA folks who'd be at or close to KPAO.

Well, I just spent a very long time composing my first post, only to be dumped out of the forum when I hit "submit". This is a test.

Judy

OK, it seems to be working now, so with some trepidation, I'll try again. Oh man, I hate having to rewrite stuff. Maybe I'll just give you the short version. Too bad. There was some detail that some might have enjoyed.

I made it to RNO. I made it to PAO.

Judy

judypilot said:
OK, it seems to be working now, so with some trepidation, I'll try again. Oh man, I hate having to rewrite stuff. Maybe I'll just give you the short version. Too bad. There was some detail that some might have enjoyed.

I made it to RNO. I made it to PAO.

Judy
Judy, compose post. Highlight all text. Edit. Copy. At least it stays on the clipboard....

But seriously, here's the whole story. Stop me if you find this boring.

For once the airmet for occ mod turb blo 140 was right. First 1/2 hour was smooth, but then it started. I was able to climb above it for awhile, but that put me into screaming headwinds. What was supposed to be a straight shot on one tank of gas turned into a slog. Very few fuel stops along the way, and the last one is in central OR. It became apparent I wasn't going to make it on one tank, so I landed to refuel.

Got to 11,500' outclimbing the turbulence. I had just bought a new oxygen system, and boy was I glad to have it. I'd never had problems at altitude (all that high-alt backpacking when I was a kid, I guess), but high flights would leave me tired at the end of the day. I can report it did make a difference.

Eventually, I could no longer outclimb it, so I just had to grin and bear it. It was actually light turbulence (I try to follow the definitions in the AIM, even though "light" can seem pretty turbulent) with a few good thumps now and then. About 150 miles out, I had to descend to get below a MOA, but that actually ended up making little difference in the turbulence. Nice flight over Pyramid Lake, with the giant spring mounds, which got me (a geologist) salivating. I've worked on some very ancient examples. Would have loved to land on the beach and take a look, but had to get going (and I think that might have been frowned on).

RNO approach couldn't see my transponder. Cycle, turn on and off--nothing. Just had the thing recertified a few months ago. Grumble, grumble.

VERY slow approach to landing. Oh, my airspeed was higher than normal. It was just the winds, very, very high, but straight down the runway. Finally touched down after what seemed like hours on short final, featherlight landing <grin>. (Where are the emoticons?)

Went to Mercury, which has high fuel prices, but good reviews. Very, very nice folks, and they arranged for someone to look at my transponder while I was there. I highly recommend them. They deal with a lot of bizjets, but did not discriminate against my beat-up old C182.

Nice visits, including with a 95-year-old alum who was an accomplished Idaho back-country pilot back when that REALLY meant something--1930s-40s. He had a couple of unpublished manuscripts on the history of Idaho aviation. We dropped them off at Kinkos while we went to lunch, and now I have copies too <big grin>.

Nice climb out of RNO to the west--bumpy, but that's SOP for RNO--stopped in AUN to see a pilot acquaintance from the CPA forum, then on to PAO. SF airspace, so I needed that transponder! More high winds, another slow approach (I'm getting lots of practice keeping my feet busy). A less-than-perfect landing, but I have high standards now.

I'm now with my folks. Have an appointment in SF tonight, then another tomorrow up north.

No pix--I didn't bring the cable for my camera (sorry!). I'll post the best ones when I get back.

Diane, I will be in C MO on the 20th, weather permitting. I have a planned weather day for my cross-country (read, "across the country") leg, and if the weather's nice, I can probably swing by. I'll send a private message with my cell phone number, and you can leave your numbers. Dave, will miss W TX this time. Merf, will be overflying you between New Orleans and Houston (weather permitting), so I will definitely drop in if it works out. I'll send my cell number to you, too. That won't be until after Fourth of July, though. Lance, won't get that far north this time. Delaware area--we'll have to play it by ear. Richard--I've got family stuff in PAO, so don't have time.

Judy

P.S. If hitting submit dumps me out again, I give up.

Last edited:
Judy you are lucky lucky lucky, what a great opportunity. Len is right there are lots of us with in spitting distance of Wilminton KILG. If your up to it KLOM is just 20 min D-> and N99 even closer. We'd love to see ya if you want to pop up. Besides me there is Len, Arnold, Joe and a few other folks in this area.

AdamZ said:
Judy you are lucky lucky lucky, what a great opportunity. Len is right there are lots of us with in spitting distance of Wilminton KILG. If your up to it KLOM is just 20 min D-> and N99 even closer. We'd love to see ya if you want to pop up. Besides me there is Len, Arnold, Joe and a few other folks in this area.

Isn't there supposed to be a decent restaurant just outside the terminal gate, an easy walk, at ILG? Air Transport Squadron, or something like that.

AdamZ said:
Judy you are lucky lucky lucky.

I know, I know! :D :yes:

This is actually the second time. I did a similar thing last year. I pray every day that the great State of Idaho doesn't do what the now-not-so-great State of Arizona did to me--hire a risk manager who knows nothing about GA and just decides out of the blue that flying one's own airplane is too risky and makes it impossible.

Judy

judypilot said:
But seriously, here's the whole story. Stop me if you find this boring.

Nice story....hopefully weather cooperates.

judypilot said:
P.S. If hitting submit dumps me out again, I give up.

Judy...you can always compose in a word processor or other text editor...that way you don't have to write it all at once...you can also save each "chapter" so in the end you'd have the full story. Once you have a "chapter" the way you want it copy and paste to the board. If the board drops it you'll still have a copy on your PC.

Len

Thanks, Judy. Fly safe. Write when you can.

Len Lanetti said:
Nice story....hopefully weather cooperates.

Judy...you can always compose in a word processor or other text editor...that way you don't have to write it all at once...you can also save each "chapter" so in the end you'd have the full story. Once you have a "chapter" the way you want it copy and paste to the board. If the board drops it you'll still have a copy on your PC.

Len

Len,

The problem is that I'm often not using my own computer because not everywhere I stays has hookups, and I'm not going to pay for dial-up at hotel telephone rates.

I gotta say that, on a couple of other forums, we use UBB threads, and I've never had the problems with those forums I've had with those. Oh, and for those of you with good memories, this happened when I was using a Windows machine, not my Mac.

Anyway, problem solved.

No flying planned for yesterday, fortunately, as it was hard IFR around here much of the day. Supposed to fly north a bit then east. Ceilings supposed to be high enough (barely). I'll keep you posted.

Judy

Judy is stuck by low ceilings asssociated with that low spinning down the coast. We got about 4/10ths steady rain last night and now it's all turned to fog.

judypilot said:

Judy

If you get close enough to Seattle, I'll treat you to a flight over to the Islands for lunch or something if you like... Good Luck !

Judy,

If you are in the eastern part of MO on Sunday the 19th, let me know, I am at KUUV. Nice fuel stop, 100LL $2.75. I well be out of town on the 20th and 21st.

Dean said:
Judy,

If you are in the eastern part of MO on Sunday the 19th, let me know, I am at KUUV. Nice fuel stop, 100LL $2.75. I well be out of town on the 20th and 21st.

Dean,

Nope. I'll only make it to Salida CO on the 19th.

Judy

Next installment: I didn't get stuck. Remember, it doesn't count as scud-running if you are legal VFR. ;-)

Got to STS by going around the long way. With low clouds, I don't want to tackle going over SFO/OAK because if ATC needs me to climb into the clouds, it could be a hassle for all concerned. Going around the back way (behind Mt. Diablo) is only 5 minutes longer. Had lunch, took a short flight around the valley, with near-scud-running conditions. Took off and headed for Davis; weather nicer on the other side of the coast range.

My niece just graduated from UC Davis, and a couple of her buddies, who also just graduated, are aeronautical engineers headed for grad school at Stanford (two very bright guys). I had met them last year when I came through Davis. I was at a party hosted by my niece and her boyfriend, and was the only middle-aged person there, but never felt out of place because these guys worshipped me for being a pilot and plane owner (they're cute, too). I promised to take them flying sometime, and by golly, a year later, was able to make good on the promise.

Because they are both smart and listen, I did something I've never done before in my own airplane--put them in the pilot seat (well, one at a time) and gave them lessons. They were thrilled. It was so much fun. I've forgotten how much fun it can be instructing. I've kept my certificate current, but don't have much opportunity to exercise it.

Taught them lots of things, including watching out for crop dusters and how to stay cool when squirrely winds try to screw up your approach. I haven't had such a wild approach since I was a student, definitely NOT helped by the fact that I'm not used to flying from the right seat in my airplane. I was seriously thinking go-around when I finally wrestled some stability into the approach and made a featherlight landing. They were mightily impressed. If they only knew......

On to Colorado tomorrow. Staying with friends in Salida.

Judy

judypilot said:
....I was at a party hosted by my niece and her boyfriend, and was the only middle-aged person there, but never felt out of place because these guys worshipped me for being a pilot and plane owner (they're cute, too). I promised to take them flying sometime, and by golly, a year later, was able to make good on the promise......

hmmm.....Tadpoling?

Just kidding. Glad you are having fun. I'll say again, I am so jealous! :)

No, I haven't crashed. I've just been incredibly, incredibly busy, and only have time for this note. More later, I hope. The adventure has definitely been continuing. Suffice it to say that yet another airmet for turbulence came true. I'm still black and blue.

Reporting from Columbia, MO,

Judy

OK, where was I? Oh, Salida. Made it after a very long day. For once, an airmet for turbulence was accurate. I made it, but I was black and blue. Actually, I was fixing to give up and land in Montrose, but that was the eastern edge of the turbulence, so I decided to cruise on in. But it was slow going because of having to fly at Va much of the time. Landed at MLF for fuel; wind 20G30, but only 20 degrees off the runway heading. No sweat. Really. Gorgeous views, though, of S Lake Tahoe (actually, the turbulence was east of there), Nevada, and some geological structures in Utah, the San Rafael Swell and Waterpocket Fold.

Had a wonderful, if short, time with my friends, then off to Missouri. What a contrast! The day was so smooth as to be boring. Realized part way through that there was no way I was going to make it for the meeting in Sedalia--I'm not sure how my development officer thought I could, nor how I managed to overlook that it would be impossible. HUT for refueling, and rearrangement of schedule. Landed at JEF and was well taken care of. Drove to Columbia for a meeting, then back to JEF this morning to fly back to DMO for the meeting that got postponed. Then back east again, right over COU--then TONIGHT I find out that's where Dr. C is. Missed a chance to meet everyone's favorite AME. My rear end is very sore from the kicking I've given myself.

Toyed with the idea of trying to make it all the way to JGG today, but it would have been long, given the late start. Ended up in FFT, and am in a nice hotel with wireless access. May have to get to JGG a round about way, since direct FFT-JGG looks to cross some bad weather, but I've got all day.

Am back in what I call Eastern VFR, which is where ceilings really are only 3000' and visibility only 5. How can this possibly be VFR? I feel very insecure--I miss my 50 m visibilities!!!!!

Judy

Judy, I just tuned in and found your saga. What an adventure! Have fun, and keep updating us. I look forward to the pictures.

Wow, have I ever fallen behind! A combination of being incredibly busy and lacking internet access.

Made it to JGG with no problem, although I did have to go the long way around. JGG was the annual get-together of an ever-expanding bunch of pilots who met on the Cessna Pilots Association web forum. A wonderful group of people. This was my 3rd such event; it's been going on for about 7-8 years, starting with about 5-6 people in Harrisburg, PA. A lot of conviviality, including some flying, most notably a pilgrimage to First Flight, where we had so many planes we essentially had to pile them atop each other (about twice as many planes as parking spots), continuing on to Ocracoke, where we dined (but did not drink) at Howards Pub. The flight took us over Cape Hatteras, which is a very significant geographical and geological feature, so I was pleased to see it.

Sunday I departed JGG under MVFR (low ceilings), which extended just a short distance westward, and flew on in better weather to SE WV, where I have friends. Yes, I carefully noted the positions of all the high towers. My friends live between Lewisburg and Bluefield, but there's a pilot about 2 miles from their home who maintains a nice turf airstrip. I'd flown in there before and still had it on my GPS. The more challenging strips in the back-country of Idaho have nothing on this airstrip--it's really fun to fly in and out of. Yeehaa! Saw my friends' new addition to their house and just hung out. It was great.

Monday I hopped over the hill (I think I was in the air all of 15-20 minutes) to Blacksburg, where I picked up the chairman of my math department, and on we went to the first of two ingresses to the ADIZ, landing at GAI. Had to stay under the clouds, which were fairly solid, so it was hot and bumpy, but he complimented me by falling asleep. No problem getting into the ADIZ or GAI, and received some help from a fellow pilot who was in the pattern when the directions to the transient parking from UNICOM were less than clear. Thanks to whoever that was. Picked up a car and headed to West Friendship, then on to the Orioles-Yankees game with our alumni. That was really fun. Never seen the Yankees live before. Camden Yards is nice, but the Orioles lost.

Up late the next morning, and back to GAI to get my math chairman back to BCB, then back to the ADIZ, this time HEF. Got car and hotel and had more meetings. Left HEF and headed to Wilmington, DE. HEF to ILG is across the FRZ, and I didn't even want to try. Just egressed the ADIZ westward, then flew around it past Frederick, etc. Weather a factor, so I didn't try to land to visit AOPA or anything. Squeezing through weather windows is why I haven't been able to try to visit any of you folks who are scattered around the area, though I sure would have liked to. The controller sending me out of the ADIZ from HEF was funny--he said "You have successfully exited the ADIZ, squawk VFR, frequency change approved", so I said "Success! So long."

The controllers at ILG were great, too. I was coming in on a long right base for 19 and there was a Lear a bit farther away (but, of course, faster) that they brought in on a left downwind for 19. The timing didn't quite work out, so they asked me to slow down, and of course I couldn't resist saying that I never thought I'd be asked to slow down for a Lear. Much hilarity all around after that from the controllers, the Lear pilot, and me. They kept calling me speedy and the Lear pilot called me a souped-up C172 (and, of course, I had to point out that I'm a C182, so they admitted that was their miscalculation). Then ground control started asking where I was from and all that and we got into a long conversation about the length of the flight, etc. Next morning when I left, the same guy was on, and asked me where I was going, etc. It was fun, the only bad thing being that the manager of the FBO (AvCenterFBO) got ****ed off at me for going out to my airplane too often. This was pretty unreasonable, I thought. Here's the sum total: I arrived at about 1430, 3.5 hours before my contact was to pick me up. I arrived so early because of the weather. I went into the office to order fuel. I then went back out to my airplane to get some nicer clothes to change into. I have a big, heavy duffle because I’m away for a month, and didn’t want to haul it back and forth, particularly because there was some uncertainty about where I was going to stay that night. After I changed, I went back out to put my flying clothes back in the airplane. Then, when my contact arrived, it turned out that I was supposed to stay with her, so we asked them to open the gate so we could get her vehicle out to pick up my duffle. We did not get in the way of any taxiing aircraft, and no one had even an engine going. No one at the FBO said anything, and they were very nice. We had a little trouble with the gate, not least because it worked too fast, and my contact is in her 70s and couldn’t quite react fast enough when it opened. Then, the next morning, I asked to get the vehicle into the gate to take my duffle back out, and that’s when the FBO guy looked very angry. After my contact had left, I asked the guy what I had done wrong, and he snapped that I sure went out to my airplane enough times. I couldn’t believe it. If he had a problem with it, why didn’t he say so the previous day? After all, all I’d done that day was take my duffle bag out.

So I promised him that when I went out the next time (I had to pay for the fuel, of course), I’d leave, and that’s what I did. I don’t know what the other choices are at ILG, but this really left a bad taste in my mouth.

MVFR out of ILG, which meant I had to thread my way around the Dover Class D and the restricted airspace around PXT (and the ADIZ). Finally there was a break in the clouds, so I climbed high enough to cut off the corner of the restricted zone over PXT (which only goes to 5000’). Incredibly, it was still hazy at 6500’, and by that time, I couldn’t see the ground very well. Although it was VFR in that I wouldn’t have had any trouble seeing other aircraft, it was essentially IFR in the sense that there was no horizon and minimal ground contact. High workload because I was still threading my way around and between restricted airspaces and the ADIZ, and my airplane is not very well equipped for what I had to do. I did fine, but was really sweating. Then, to make matters worse, the clouds started to solidify underneath me, contrary to what all the weather sources had said, so I was sweating that, too. However, it turned out that the weather sources were right, and that was just a short distance. While I always had an out, it was just very high workload. Found myself over a big hole over Tappahanock, where I have a friend I’d hoped to have lunch with, so I circled down and landed. Called my friend and cooled down in a nice restaurant.

Lunch over, I took off again but this time knew I had to stay low because the cloud tops were building. Had a dinner date with Agatha and Mark Shilling in Chapel Hill, NC. Got in there just fine, but tired—it was hot and I’d spent half that leg squinting to try to see a little farther through the haze (which was 5-10 miles, but don’t forget I’m used to 50 miles). A great recipe for a headache, but fortunately I caught myself and relaxed before it got bad.

Chapel Hill is a nice little airport, but has no tail tiedowns, and T-storms were a possibility. I carry ropes and tiedown stakes, and the parking area is grass (or appears to be), so no problem, right? Wrong! The grass is growing through a thick layer of gravel, so I had to try several places. Finally found a place where the stake would go in, and on the last twist to get it thoroughly anchored, I managed to shear off the top of it! Never thought I was that strong (though I was using a bar). It has a loop, so I did have something to tie the rope to, but I’ll never get the stake out, and it will be a great place to puncture someone’s tire, so I’ll have to warn the airport about it. Dang!

Got to the rental car place, hotel, cooled down, Agatha and Mark picked me up (what patience—they got a late dinner and got home late), and we had a great time together. For once, I’ve got a morning free, so I’m going to do laundry and shopping (for lunch stuff to carry in the plane)—and write this.

So far I’ve flown something like 47 hours (haven’t totaled the fuel!) and I’m still in NC, so I suspect I’ve got a minimum of another 25 hours to go. Having a great time, but I sure can’t wait to get out of this haze!

Judy

judypilot said:
Having a great time, but I sure can’t wait to get out of this haze!

Judy

Come to Chicago area, it's clear and a million!
EH

Judy. Great stories and a great adventure. Wow! Thanks for posting!

Judy,

Don't know if you'll read this before you leave Chapel Hill, but if you are looking for decent food "Top of the Hill", on the corner of Columbia & Franklin Street is about the best bet. Great sandwiches to be had at a place who's current name escapes me, but two store fronts south of Henderson St, on Franklin Street (working your way away from the main "downtown" disctrict ). IOW, three store fronts south of the post office at the corner of Franklin and Henderson St.

Back