Green Brier Valley Airport (KLWB)

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I am a flat-lander, and am planing a trip to the Greenbrier for a conference with my wife. Anyone familiar with flying in and out of KLWB? It appears to be in a valley in the Allegheny Mountains. Does anyone have any experience in this part of the country, or this airport in particular? It doesn't seem like this mountian range should be too bad, but I have no mountain flying experience at all. So I may not even know what I don't know.

I am a flat-lander, and am planing a trip to the Greenbrier for a conference with my wife. Anyone familiar with flying in and out of KLWB? It appears to be in a valley in the Allegheny Mountains. Does anyone have any experience in this part of the country, or this airport in particular? It doesn't seem like this mountian range should be too bad, but I have no mountain flying experience at all. So I may not even know what I don't know.
I diverted into there one night after 80 plus knot headwinds mandated a fuel stop. That night winds were about 90 degrees to the runway. Just looking at the metar / TAF for KLWB now I see winds are 80 degrees to the runway. I am not familiar enough to know if that is just coincidence or a sign of what to expect. I recall a tree line which helped block winds once I was low over the runway.

I live in Northeast TN where the mountains are higher. Coming over the mountains I like to use the IFR separation figure for mountainous terrain of 2000 foot minimum vertical clearance above the highest ridge I will be crossing. Windy days are the ones to be more cautious in the mountains.

I've flow into WV62 which is further north, higher elevation shorter by about 4000' and narrower by 110'. I don't think you should have any issue with LWB from my perspective the runway is HUGE. As for the mountain flying stuff well obviously check the Wx, look at whats going on outside your window ie lennies etc. The WV moutains can generate some serious updrafts and turbulence as well as of course down drafts. Cross the ridges at an angle keep sufficient altitude above the ridge and you should be fine. Remember to check the winds aloft ( I know silly reminder)

LWB is in the valley and surrounded by mountains. Yes, you can get bounced around a bit, but there is a (relative) lot of jet traffic in there. I've been into KHSP a number of times and LWB once or twice. There is potential for valley fog or low clouds around the mountains (last trip to HSP I went IFR and broke out on final approach for the GPS). ATC handled by Washington Center & Lewisburg Tower (don't recall whether that's still operating or not given sequester).

Nice airport, mountains are relatively low, you can get up and over them fairly easily. There is an ILS approach. Just pay attention to procedures.

Back