Great Service from NY Controllers

rocketflyer84

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
RocketFlyer84
Was in the east last week and was pleasantly surprised by the great service I got from NY controllers. Two examples:

1) Few a flight VFR from Western NJ to pickup a friend at Republic (KFRG) and had flight following from NY TRACON. Got towards the edge of the NYC super-bravo on the northwest side and started a slight northerly turn to begin flying around the edge of the Bravo to go over to Republic. Wouldn't be that much longer time wise and the frequency was super busy with IFR so didn't want to bother the controller asking for a clearance and it was a nice day so didn't really mind a few extra minutes in the air.

As soon as I start my turn the controller comes on and asks what my intended route to Republic is. I tell him I'm tracing around the perimeter of the Bravo and he comes back with "You are cleared into the Bravo, fly direct to Republic." (when I got to Republic I was like #10 for landing, but that's a different story :rofl:)

2) On the way back west was heading along the shoreline that would take me south of JFK so I called up the designated frequency on the charts. They just responded to call them up on the main tower frequency in use so did that. Was quickly given a squawk and clearance for the 'at or below 500' transition along the shoreline. Was putzing along listening to the tower clear the heavy metal for takeoff when between clearances the controller calls me up and asks if I'd like additional flight following after departing the JFK airspace. JFK tower is setting up flight following for me for the rest of my journey :goofy:. The thought of all that heavy metal sitting there waiting for takeoff listening to some little bugsmasher getting VFR flight following setup by JFK tower made me smile.

Anyway, not sure if any NY area controllers are on here but if you are thanks for the great service I received. I know the airspace is buzzing with tons of heavy IFR airliner traffic so the fact that you help us GA guys out like that, and don't just tell us to stay clear, is much appreciated.

NY Approach comes across as intimidating, but these guys and gals are top notch. While you need to bring your A game, but the controllers are more than accommodating and helpful.

I regularly flies out of Republic and sometimes it may be easier to be on an IFR plan to land there so you don't have to worry about being #10 for landing...lol.

KFRG used to be my home field, and the controllers around NY area really are great people. Technically you don't need a "clearance" for the 500-or-below transition, but they do appreciate you talking to them.

Remember, when they caution you for wake turbulence, take it seriously. I had one interesting experience with an AA 777 flying overhead on final to JFK...

Always always always give them a call if you are trying to transition the airspace. Like others have said, these folks are among the best in the country. My flying club hosted a talk by one of the controllers for the Liberty sector (airspace for our home field), and the guy gave a very thorough explanation on the what & why behind all of the different arrival & departure routes out of KEWR and the nearby satellite fields. The one thing that stuck out to me was how many planes he saw, on a daily basis, that fly at 2900' (100' below the outer shelf) without so much as a word. Definitely not a long-term survival strategy when you've got lots of big iron descending out of 3000' for 2000' approaching KEWR or KTEB.

I lived in NYC for 9 years and still visit 10-15 times a year (always into KTEB in my plane) and I have a ton of respect for these guys. They work hard, they're creative and they're fair. And they deal with all kinds of crazy situations every day.

Complete opposite of Chicago which can't seem to work a single GA airplane into the bravo if there is a hint of an airliner somewhere in the midwest.

The NY guys are always accommodating and helpful. I visited the TRACON about a year ago and they were even friendlier in person.

If you know what your doing and pay attention NY is just another airspace. Have always gotten all the help I needed from ATC. My son had a sinus issue while we where in the Bravo,the controller gave me an immediate descent ,and inquired about my pax at least twice. Love those NY guys.

Home base is LDJ which sits under the SW sector of the NY Bravo.
I was flying west one morning and about 40 minutes out I started to see morning fog. Not able to fly through it I opted to turn back. I informed flight following. On the way back I was handed back to NY. Well away from the fog now I had requested to cancel following. The controller asked my destination which was LDJ. He said stay with me I'll take you all the way.
He wanted me home safe.
Now instrument rated the game has changed a little. It's a busy program here. They want to do all they can for you when they can. But know your stuff because otherwise you increase their already saturated work load. And then they gunna tell ya. It's kinda like yelling at the guy in the next car. When you finally turn onto different roads you both forget.
My experience is its a great place to learn.
Had a situation when Boston approach forgot about me. I queried too late and was already in the NY bravo. When I called Boston I was told "try Laguardia on..." to say Laguardia wasn't happy would be an understatement. They gave me a verbal whipping on the air. Had to call NY tracon when I landed. The controller was very understanding when I called. I explained I had following for the past hour. I had all my frequencies written down. Good thing. He reviewed the tapes. No violation.

NY Approach comes across as intimidating, but these guys and gals are top notch. While you need to bring your A game, but the controllers are more than accommodating and helpful.

I regularly flies out of Republic and sometimes it may be easier to be on an IFR plan to land there so you don't have to worry about being #10 for landing...lol.
Yep, top notch, absolutely.

IFR may help with Republic pattern traffic but definitely a mixed bag with NYC Class B overall. They have pretty well established procedures for routing IFR traffic, GA and airliner, and they are not always expedient. Knowing when to fly VFR is a game changer for many flights.

I fly into White Plains and Republic, have even done KEWR, but always IFR. In September I'll be doing KABE to Montauk but that will be VFR because I am likely to get direct thru the Class B. Watching NYC light up like up at dusk is priceless. IFR I'd be touring Kingston and the northern Sound.

ATC almost always would rather be talking to you than not. The system is is user fee free... Use it GD!

2) On the way back west was heading along the shoreline that would take me south of JFK so I called up the designated frequency on the charts. They just responded to call them up on the main tower frequency in use so did that. Was quickly given a squawk and clearance for the 'at or below 500' transition along the shoreline.

Yup, NY controllers are usually great.

One thing, though: you didn't need or receive a "clearance" for the shoreline transition. At or below 500', you weren't in Class B, or even Class E. You were in Class G and didn't need to be talking to ATC at all, though it was certainly a good idea.

I've flown in NY airspace my entire time as a pilot. The controllers are fantastic. However, they have no patience for any incompetence. Just be on your game and they will love you. Screw up, and you will not be a favorite. I once heard a controller tell a guy who asked 5 times for verification on heading that he needed to " maintain radio silence acknowledge with an ident!" That was classic.

Yup, NY controllers are usually great.

One thing, though: you didn't need or receive a "clearance" for the shoreline transition. At or below 500', you weren't in Class B, or even Class E. You were in Class G and didn't need to be talking to ATC at all, though it was certainly a good idea.

Yes... aware that I don't need to talk to JFK on that route but personally would never fly that route without calling them up (poor choice of the word 'clearance' on my initial post). On a nice day it seems there can be a ton of traffic along there, which can be hard to see at such low altitude. Tower is a big help in knowing what to look for.

Plus airplanes on final cross just a few hundred feet above so I'm sure the JFK tower feels a lot more comfortable knowing they're talking to that dot on the screen and can advise landing traffic better as to type and such.

On the day I went through there were a ton of banner towing airplanes along the beach and it seems like they don't talk to anyone. Overheard the tower at Republic moaning about them too since there was a whole bunch of them turning around right at the edge of Republic's Class D right in line with the active landing runway. When Republic is busy traffic can get extended to just past the edge of the Delta so now you've got some banner tow that's incommunicado passing through the pattern. (Yes I know legally they can do that and legally they don't need to talk to anyone if they are just outside the Delta, but common sense and situational awareness would dictate that it's not terribly intelligent to hug a known busy airspace and pull stunts like that without talking to anyone).

I've flown in NY airspace my entire time as a pilot. The controllers are fantastic. However, they have no patience for any incompetence. Just be on your game and they will love you. Screw up, and you will not be a favorite. I once heard a controller tell a guy who asked 5 times for verification on heading that he needed to " maintain radio silence acknowledge with an ident!" That was classic.

Agreed. They are on their A-game and expect you to be too. If you're not they'll let you know! (as they should)

Last edited:
The controllers are fantastic. However, they have no patience for any incompetence. Just be on your game and they will love you. Screw up, and you will not be a favorite.
Back in the early 80s I flew into White Plains to pick up my Dad and give him the Hudson River tour. I had been flying off and on for over 10 years but had just earned by PP-ASEL at Essex Co and had rented a C172. I wasn't using a headset and missed a call from NY Approach.

They roasted me! I was told in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't be flying here unless I had my **** together. I was totally shaken but tried to put it behind me as I pulled up to the airline terminal to pick up my Dad who had flown in from Pittsburgh for a conference.

It was great jumping out of the plane and casually walking into the terminal to pick up his bag and take it out to my little plane. Unfortunately in my shaken state I had somehow managed to lock myself out of the plane!

Oh the embarrassment!! I found a mechanic with a coat hanger to help me get back in the plane. While it's nice to be able to pull up to an airline gate to get a passenger, it's not so nice when a coat hanger is required to pull out before 30 curious travelers.

We made the flight and landed at Essex. I returned to my gliders for the next 10+ years until I got a Maule and a headset.

Back