Great lesson last night

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I had my second (and first meaningful) lesson in the Mooney last night, and I had a blast.

Normal departure from CHA, then to the practice area for slow flght and stalls in various configurations. I'll never understand how the old wives tales start, but there is simply no drama to stalling a Mooney. About the same break as a 172, yes, a wing is more likely to drop, but a little forward pressure and top rudder, and all is well. No where near the thrill ride you get with two beefy guys in a 152.

Steep turns, then some landings in Cleveland, TN (HDI). First two were high, resulting in idle power the whole way to the threashold, and fairly decent landings. All takeoffs after this were practiced as short/high perf, rotate at 63, climb 69. I was very impressed with the way the 201 gets off the field on a short, really popping above tree level quickly.

We then asked for vectors to ILS02 at CHA, and were sent on the downwind. Wanting time to set up, and being in no hurry, I put in what I thought to be pokey power settings. About 19 or 20", prop 2500, cowl flaps 1/2 open, leaned a little, at 3000msl. Set up the radios, look at the GPS groundspeed, and gadzooks, we're making 137kts over the ground into a quartering headwind. Pokey indeed. NOT!

Did the ILS, this thing goes down the ILS like it is on rails, very minimal control inputs needed once you have it tracking. Nice!

After the missed at DH, we headed to our new home, 1A0. 3000 x 50, with 300 displaced one direction, 700 displaced the other. Did two landings to the north, and if at the desired speed of 65-70kts, landings are a total non-event. Mucho room to spare coming into 2700ft.

Really, 65kts is a perfect short final speed, and results in a nice landing with minimal float.

Next lesson Wednesday night, I can't wait!

Really, 65kts is a perfect short final speed, and results in a nice landing with minimal float.

Exactly what Ed G had said in Arkansas. 78mph, 78 mph, 78 mph, And you pretty much hit your spot. So we'll see you in a couple weeks right? :)

When your getting used to the 201 you really have to watch the speed. It's a new bird and your busy setting up the approach and before you know it your going about 20kts to fast. More than once I have heard my CFI say "Now would be a good time to slow down".

My partner went up to Makinaw Island this past weekend. On his return trip he was cruising (GS) at 183kts. Gotta love tail winds.

My partner went up to Makinaw Island this past weekend. On his return trip he was cruising (GS) at 183kts. Gotta love tail winds.

Shut up. :mad:

Best I ever got was 167kts in the Cherokee.

Last fall on a trip from CRE to CAK I saw a GS of 110kts all the way home. It added an hour to the trip. I was glad I was in the 201 and not my 172. I was watching my 396 and almost didn't make it past some storms coming across WVA. Off to my right was an airmet for turb and I was solid IMC. That's a trip I would not have made without the 396.

I've seen everthing from 45 to 218 knots GS in cruise in my Tiger (that's about 85 knots wind in each direction).

Good descriptions Bill. Yep, 20" is going to give you a pretty hot approach. With these hot OATs I personally am not going to be doing any high performance climbs. I'll think you'll notice they're especially tough on the oil temps and somewhat on the CHTs.

With these hot OATs I personally am not going to be doing any high performance climbs. I'll think you'll notice they're especially tough on the oil temps and somewhat on the CHTs.

We just did the normal short field, once we cleared the treetops, we nosed over to 85kts or so, then brought up the gear/flaps, then accelerated to 90kts or so. Temps seemed to stay reasonable given the conditions, we kept an eye on the JPI to be surre.

I did some landings at different airports, and between each we cruised at 3000msl, and I kept the power back to 23"/2500, slightly leaned, and kept the cowl flaps half open to help keep her cool.

It was bloody hot, on my last downwind of the night, at about 8:45pm, the OAT was still reading 99F. Ugh.

This is a WONDERFUL airplane, it really flys well, and again, the 65kts short final makes for good landings.

Back