Great J3 Cub picture story

Wow, what amazing pictures! Very artistic. I'm jealous!

What a fantastic journey! When you're not in a hurry, that's the best kind of flying.

Thanks much, Gets one excited waiting for summer! What is the tubing on back pack?

Thanks for posting that Kevin. I REALLY enjoyed it,especially living in PA about 58 Nm. south of Lock Haven.
Dave G

OK, now I'm in the market for a Cub. That looks entirely too much like fun.

Wow! Kevin, thanks for that! Incredible. I feel like I've just met a kindred spirit. What a wonderful way to see America, low and slow. It makes me even more excited about our flight to California in May.

Thanks for posting. If you've never flown low and slow with the door open in the summer you don't know what you're missing. You get the sights, sounds and smells you don't get otherwise.

I want to go find and buy a Cub now, and take a year off work and go fly. :yes:

Looking at the picture of the altimeter from 8/3/06 got me curious. For those of you with Cub experience, when you fly it solo from the backseat, how does one adjust the Kollsman window when you get new altimeter settings from ATIS/AWOS/ATC? Can you reach it from the backseat?

If you liked his 2006 adventure, enjoy the photos from his 2007 trip:

http://www.vintageflying.com/page10.html

The Cub's version of a kneeboard (all you need is a dry-erase marker and a window):

_DSC4603_(Small).JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. If you've never flown low and slow with the door open in the summer you don't know what you're missing. You get the sights, sounds and smells you don't get otherwise.

That's the first thing I noticed, when riding my motorcycle home from purchasing it. I imagine flying in a Cub with the windows open is the same way. I smelled every backyard BBQ, field of flowers, felt the change in temp/dewpoint as I crossed bridges over lakes (air conditioning!) in ways I never experienced driving the same roads in cars... gotta get a Cub!

Looking at the picture of the altimeter from 8/3/06 got me curious. For those of you with Cub experience, when you fly it solo from the backseat, how does one adjust the Kollsman window when you get new altimeter settings from ATIS/AWOS/ATC? Can you reach it from the backseat?
That's seat of the pants flying at it's best. You fly these airplanes by feel. No instruments neccessary.:)

Many of you may have already seen this but here's another website that has some nice pictorial trip reports.
http://vintageair.net/MauleBros/index.html

Back