Great Editorial in USAToday

kkoran

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kent
USAToday gets it! Today's editorial denounces the the concern about the threat GA aircraft present.

An approximately 250-pound gyrocopter flying at about 50 mph, carrying a single pilot and maybe five gallons of gasoline ? not so much. Most likely, it would bounce off a structure as robust as the U.S. Capitol or the White House.

So why are Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and many of her colleagues all worked up about the Florida mailman who flew low through some of the most restricted airspace in the world Wednesday and landed his tiny one-man copter on the lawn of Congress? "The exposure is stunning," Pelosi said about the gyrocopter's ability to get close to her workplace. "We certainly need answers."

Actually, we need to take a deep breath.

Yes, airliners can destroy buildings and kill thousands of people. But small general aviation airplanes can smash into buildings and usually kill no one but the pilot. A gyrocopter is even less of a threat, and the drone that a man accidentally flew over a fence at the White House one night in January was still less of a menace. But because these are aircraft, they consistently provoke fear way out of proportion to the actual threat.
They explain the minimal damage caused by the few aircraft that have hit buildings (Lidle, the kid in Florida, the guy who flew into the IRS in Austin), then go on to say...
If authorities spooked by drones and gyrocopters really want something to worry about, think about this: Sunday, April 19, marks the 20th anniversary of the day Timothy McVeigh drove an innocuous-looking Ryder truck containing a fertilizer bomb up to a federal building in Oklahoma City and set off a blast that gutted the nine-story, reinforced concrete structure, killing at least 168 people.

Last edited:
USA TODAY's editorial opinions are decided by its Editorial Board, separate from the news staff. Most editorials are coupled with an opposing view — a unique USA TODAY feature.

Aparently. You'll never see Tom Frank and gang publish an article that would even remotely defend general aviation. I wonder if there'll be an opposing view editorial on this one.

Aparently. You'll never see Tom Frank and gang publish an article that would even remotely defend general aviation. I wonder if there'll be an opposing view editorial on this one.
Usually the opposing view is published simultaneously. Maybe they couldn't find anyone who wanted to admit they are afraid of their own shadow to write one.:D

Wow, I'm impressed!

Wow, that's probably the first sensible article I've ever seen in USA Today. Good for them.

Back