Great deal on plane

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Texas 10 percent of the single engine planes listed in trade-a-plane are in Texas. If you want a plane that is the place to shop by taking advantage of a depressed oil industry and people out of work. Sorry about their suffering but it's hard to feel sorry about your loss when I remember paying close to $5 a gallon for gas for my car.

Our economy is not hurting in Texas. We probably have 10 percent of the planes, thus 10 percent of the used market. Check out fly-ins and you'll see we're the most active GA state in the country. And if you think we're the cause of our high gas prices, you need to read up. We were trying to drill to put more people to work when OPEC decided to stop us by lowering their prices. Either way, you have us to thank for the cheap prices you're paying now.

Our economy is not hurting in Texas. We probably have 10 percent of the planes, thus 10 percent of the used market. Check out fly-ins and you'll see we're the most active GA state in the country. And if you think we're the cause of our high gas prices, you need to read up. We were trying to drill to put more people to work when OPEC decided to stop us by lowering their prices. Either way, you have us to thank for the cheap prices you're paying now.
So everything I hear on the news about drilling rigs stacked up like cord wood and the oil industry on the skids is just not true.:rofl:

A state with 40% of the freedom is bound to have at least 10% of the airplanes.

Funny I am looking out of state for possible upgrade...much cheaper out West or Midwest....no one is hurting that much yet...let me know if you found it though I might be interested. There is more than oil production in Texas...

I'm glad you think it's funny. Yes, we're shutting down drilling, but what drilling typically does is give guys who have low-dollar jobs high paying, dangerous jobs.

We have a lot of high-tech jobs in Texas, one of the fastest growing states for this. Something about no state income tax!

So everything I hear on the news about drilling rigs stacked up like cord wood and the oil industry on the skids is just not true.:rofl:

There is so much fail...

I live in CA so I don't have a dog in this fight... But

Tx pop:27.5 mil
USA pop: 318 mil

For tx to have 10% of the listings is easily within a standard deviation of straight population percentage.

Also tx had nothing to do with high gas prices... That has everything to do with supply and demand and thank goodness Texas was drilling as best they could because if they weren't gas prices would have easily gone to 6 or 7 $/gal it's what happens when demand outstrips supply.

Have to say I don't really get the Texas hate.

Level of education is a weird thing too. Never forget credentials != education != intelligence != ability.

There is so much fail...

I live in CA so I don't have a dog in this fight... But

Tx pop:27.5 mil
USA pop: 318 mil

For tx to have 10% of the listings is easily within a standard deviation of straight population percentage.

Also tx had nothing to do with high gas prices... That has everything to do with supply and demand and thank goodness Texas was drilling as best they could because if they weren't gas prices would have easily gone to 6 or 7 $/gal it's what happens when demand outstrips supply.

Have to say I don't really get the Texas hate.

Level of education is a weird thing too. Never forget credentials != education != intelligence != ability.

Sorry about the rant I got a little off the track and do not have any hate for Texas. The OP was just that their are some good deals in Texas now, the other was a little off base.

Sorry about the rant I got a little off the track and do not have any hate for Texas. The OP was just that their are some good deals in Texas now, the other was a little off base.

All good! :)

Find Texas to be a great state,bought a twin from Texas years ago,prices on AV gas where great. Hope to fly through the state this summer.

I live in Texas, and bought my plane in Vermont, of all places.

As for Texas hurting, yes, there is an arc from Houston to San Antonio that is very depressed by the oil bust -- 80,000 guys out of high paying jobs hits hard -- but Texas is enormous. There is so much more here than oil that a temporary lull in petroleum prices won't make much of an impact on airplane sales.

Austin is chock full of high paid government types, and all of the businesses that depend on them. Those jobs are recession-proof.

Last edited:
Want real deals, look in Canada, the CD is at .724 to one USD.
That means for every $10,000 Canadian prices we'll spend $7240.00.
All mandatory service bulletins are required maintenance up there, so there is no problem in getting the AD's converted.

There are places a lot more depressed than Texas right now. I got my latest bird in New Mexico. It's a bad time of year to sell, though.

Yeah but you make up for it in Property tax.

I bought my plane in Texas last year. And Im originally from Texas too, just throwing that out there. :D

Varies by county, pick your location carefully. I pay almost nothing in property tax.

Want real deals, look in Canada, the CD is at .724 to one USD.
That means for every $10,000 Canadian prices we'll spend $7240.00.
All mandatory service bulletins are required maintenance up there, so there is no problem in getting the AD's converted.

Yep. A buddy of mine just picked up another Super Cub from up there, taking advantage of the difference in the exchange rate. He can easily pay to have the plane imported and still have a better deal than could be bought here.

Did you not read what he wrote, or did you just not understand it? :dunno:

Austin is chock full of high paid government types, and all of the businesses that depend on them. Those jobs are recession-proof.

Isn't it amazing how those tend to be the ultra-Liberal areas? It's basically a Peoples Republic of Austin!

Thankfully TX has plenty of other productive areas.

Austin is a strange city for sure with plenty of characters. I work for a company that builds the Apple Mac Pro as well as products for Cisco, and a lot of other large companies. Apple has a site here in town, as does Ebay, Google, GM, AMD, IBM, etc. We're not all hipsters!

Isn't it amazing how those tend to be the ultra-Liberal areas? It's basically a Peoples Republic of Austin!

Austin is the most liberal, for sure, but it's interesting that all five of Texas largest cities went for Obama. And demographics mean that it will be a blue state before too much longer, changing US politics forever.

LOL busted.
Here's a better renditon. It's not quite as big as Europe, but our 14 days in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Lichtenstein last fall covered less ground than a Texas vacation. :)

f64a98ce540d263a774c735aa2bf35c1.jpg

LOL busted.

It's not quite as big as Europe

Well that's the understatement of the century.

Landmass of Texas is: 268,820 square miles
Landmass of Europe is: 3,931,000 square miles

You could literally fit 14.6 Texas's into Europe.

Maybe it's just the ego of Texas that's that big.
:rolleyes:

Belgium fits into Texas 26 times....just a a little Texas fact...

Here's a better renditon. It's not quite as big as Europe, but our 14 days in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Lichtenstein last fall covered less ground than a Texas vacation. :)

f64a98ce540d263a774c735aa2bf35c1.jpg

You cut off a lot of Europe in that map. Where's Scandinavia? Spain and Portugal? The European part of Russia?

Austin is a strange city for sure with plenty of characters. I work for a company that builds the Apple Mac Pro as well as products for Cisco, and a lot of other large companies. Apple has a site here in town, as does Ebay, Google, GM, AMD, IBM, etc. We're not all hipsters!

I was born and raised in Austin. I was there when Austin had 328,000 people. I left in 1989 and returned there for a few months in 1994.

Most of the folks who moved here are and vote liberal. I say that because as a boy who was raised a conservative Democrat, I found out that most of the people who moved there were wanted to bring with them the problems that they were moving away from. I will not live there. Not on a bet.

Matt's El Rancho still has great margaritas. So does Baby A's, El Gallo, and the original Chuy's. I love to visit, but to pay for the retarded policies being lived out there is too much for me.

Barton Springs, Zilker Park, and many other points that make Austin great are still great, but the people are crap.

Back to the topic......

Nobody "vacations" in ALL of Texas. There's only a few small areas that are worth seeing. :)

Texas (268,820 sq miles) is slightly larger than France (248,573 sq mi) .

Europe is roughly the size of the entire lower 48 USA (depends on where you define europe to be). Scandanavia is to europe as Canada is to USA. Africa is to europe as South America is to USA, VERY roughly.

Texas (268,820 sq miles) is slightly larger than France (248,573 sq mi) .

Europe is roughly the size of the entire lower 48 USA (depends on where you define europe to be). Scandanavia is to europe as Canada is to USA. Africa is to europe as South America is to USA, VERY roughly.

What Jay meant was, "Texas is bigger than France, and the French know that France is the only part of Europe that matters; hence, Texas is larger than Relevant Europe." :D

---

And Nate, watch yourself, there- I don't desire to have my impression of you as an educated person dashed to pieces! :nono:

So what you're saying is that the French are Europe's Texans? :)

Well, something sorta like that.

They *think* they're that awesome, like Texans do; the difference is, the Texans are right, while the French are... French! :yes:

Back