Great BFR today!

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
So today was a strange but great day! I was originally going to go on an XC to Stewart airport but around an hour before the flight, I get a call telling me that my BFR is due. I checked my logbook and they are correct! I thanked them up and down for catching it and asked if they could schedule my BFR today. They said they could and it was truly a blessing.

It started off with me meeting the CFI who was going to do it and we got to chatting and we both did our private at the same place, and he asked what my experience was and my future plans in aviation. I told him and we further found out that we were both shade blind and he gave me some pointers on how to pass one of the color blind tests and a number for an eye doctor to use. That was a huge help as I've wanted to get the restriction removed for years! He asked me what I want to do and we agree I'm going to use the BFR to get checked out in short field ops. We make a plan to fly to Block Island( KBID) and take off with all the intentions of landing there. Normal takeoff and off we go. We get about 10 miles away, check the weather l and KBID is reporting 800 overcast- no going there. The CFI says, well we can try Montauk. I agreed and we made a landing there( not my best but safe.) We take back off and he says, you know Fishers Island (0B8)is right here. Now those of us in the Northeast know Fishers Island airport real well. It is an amazing location right on a small island with 2 runways that are shorter than 2,000ft. He asks if I want to give that a shot. I say, " Of course! I've always wanted to land there!" He says, ok I can definitely sign you off for short field ops if you nail this landing. Well I enter the base, airspeed pegged at 70. Turn base, airspeed right at 65. Turn final airspeed at 60, chop the throttle about 200 ft short of the runway and land right on the numbers and have the plane fully stopped before the two runways intersect! The Instructor said, "wow made the first turn off at Fishers!" I honestly felt great. We took back off and headed back to KHWV( Brookhaven) where he showed me a tip for turning base to final.

This was an amazing day in the cockpit and I really enjoyed the BFR plus I got a heck of a lot out of it and am cleared to fly alone again for 2 more years. Hope you all have a similar type of BFR experience when it comes your turn!

Last edited:
FYI it's a "Flight Review" now (someone corrected me awhile back). That all you do though, just a couple of landings on islands? No stalls, hood work, steep turns, MCA, spins? :eek: :D

Glad you enjoyed it,love those islands. Your best flight reviews are the ones you learn something,and have fun at the same time.

Had mine in November, with the CFI who taught me about Luscombes. It was fun to fly with him again. We also worked on short field technique. It was fun doing steep s-turns along a road at low altitude.

FYI it's a "Flight Review" now (someone corrected me awhile back). That all you do though, just a couple of landings on islands? No stalls, hood work, steep turns, MCA, spins? :eek: :D

Hi- no we did stalls and engine outs and steeps turns but we did those on the way out to Block Island. We did not do hood work but honestly I was thrilled with the review. As he explained, the FAA has already declared that I'm a safe pilot his job is simply to verify that I'm still safe!

Thanks for the tip on the correct title. Typical FAA move to make a semantical adjustment to a title and to believe they have altered something important!

Below I hopefully attached an image of where I stopped the plane on Fishers island!

Last edited:
Cool pic. I've been to Block Is once, back in 1982 when I was filling in for the fired FAA controllers at Quonset Tower. There was a small flight school on the field and I ended up instructing when I wasn't working the tower. Had a student who flew us out to Block Is. for breakfast at a dinner, I think, at the airport. Neat place. Always wanted to go back and check out the entire island but never have.

Wow! Your words are clearly saying that you have enjoyed lots. Thanks for sharing pic. Looks awesome. :yesnod:

All the way out to block or fishers island seems a bit excessive for a flight review. Sure this CFI wasn't hour building on your dime?

All the way out to block or fishers island seems a bit excessive for a flight review. Sure this CFI wasn't hour building on your dime?

As he said, they both agreed on it and he did maneuvers along the way. Sounds like a great way to do a Flight Review. Maybe you're thinking he departed Stewart? He said he had been planning a XC there when it was brought to his attention he needed a Flight Review.

Tom he asked what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to get checked out for short fields. He suggested we go to Block Island because it is a place I could see myself going to. It's came out to be 2.0 on the Hobbs and he made it very clear that he was combining as much as he could into the lesson. Believe me I'm not one to be giving a CFI a ride on my dime- I got plenty out of it!

Well I enter the right base, airspeed pegged at 70. Turn base, airspeed right at 65. Turn final airspeed at 60, chop the throttle about 200 ft short of the runway and land right on the numbers and have the plane fully stopped before the two runways intersect! The Instructor said, "wow made the first turn off at Fishers!" I honestly felt great. We took back off and headed back to KHWV( Brookhaven) where he showed me a tip for turning base to final.

This was an amazing day in the cockpit and I really enjoyed the BFR plus I got a heck of a lot out of it and am cleared to fly alone again for 2 more years. Hope you all have a similar type of BFR experience when it comes your turn!

Aren't all runways at Fishers left traffic ?

Slight tangent, but what were the tips on the color vision test?

Aren't all runways at Fishers left traffic ?

Sure but when no one else is around and you are approaching from the south, at that place I'll take the traffic pattern that gives me the best chance to land safely.

Right traffic put us over the water the entire time. It was not like I was buzzing some rich guys house!

Not related to your question but the post above, the tip to pass the color vision was that there are plenty of other tests beside the one the DME gives that if you can pass any of those you are in and have the restriction lifted. I knew that but he said he would get me the name of a local eye doctor who has a few tests. If I can pass that, I'll take it along with me to my medical and I don't need to take the standard test. Apparently the standard test( the one where they ask you to read what number is in the book) is by far the hardest to see and therefore hardest to pass.

Sure but when no one else is around and you are approaching from the south, at that place I'll take the traffic pattern that gives me the best chance to land safely.

Right traffic put us over the water the entire time. It was not like I was buzzing some rich guys house

A flight review requires at the minimum a review of part 91 rules.

You may wish to review 91.126 and 91.127

You do not get to choose. A right pattern is not an option here.
In the very unlikely event of an inspector being there, you and the instructor would have had a problem.
More importantly, it is dangerous and not expected.
One doesn't need a radio at Fishers, and they would not expect you in that position.

Perhaps you can learn a little more from that review. :D

Last edited:

Right traffic put us over the water the entire time. It was not like I was buzzing some rich guys house

A flight review requires at the minimum a review of part 91 rules.

You may wish to review 91.126 and 91.127

You do not get to choose. A right pattern is not an option here.
In the very unlikely event of an inspector being there, you and the instructor would have had a problem.
More importantly, it is dangerous and not expected.
One doesn't need a radio at Fishers, and they would not expect you in that position.

Perhaps you can learn a little more from that review. :D

I got to be honest, I don't know why you are thinking it required to be regulation police in a thread I created to celebrate a successful and great BFR. Anyone who's flown for any length of time knows that pilots violate these unnessacary regulation every day and, simply put, these regulations should not exist. Believe me when I say, there was no one around, we looked, we made radio calls, we made all the required observations.

Sure I could have overflown the field, entered left down wind, made the base turn in the other direction and guess what, the result would have been the same. My number one regulation is fly the plane to a successful conclusion. If the pattern was full and this was a different scenario I could see your point but honestly let's get real.

I got to be honest, I don't know why you are thinking it required to be regulation police in a thread I created to celebrate a successful and great BFR. Anyone who's flown for any length of time knows that pilots violate these unnessacary regulation every day and, simply put, these regulations should not exist. Believe me when I say, there was no one around, we looked, we made radio calls, we made all the required observations.

Sure I could have overflown the field, entered left down wind, made the base turn in the other direction and guess what, the result would have been the same. My number one regulation is fly the plane to a successful conclusion. If the pattern was full and this was a different scenario I could see your point but honestly let's get real.

Don't let the armchair pilots be a buzzkill. Happy to hear you enjoyed your BFR, stay safe!

As a CFI I teach one should fly the pattern established by that airport. I'm guessing they don't want you flying over the mansions after locals complained of airplane noise. Many airport administrations go thru a bunch of meetings trying to reach an agreement with the locals so that there still can be an airport and "get along" with the locals as a good neighbor. Not saying I agree with it but that's the way it is. My home airport has RT to one end of the runway because of homes NW of the airport. Will anyone say anything to you if you just fly what you want? Probably not but you could jeopardize relations with the local community with the closure of the airport eventually. Extreme thought yeah, but it has happened.

Last edited:

I tried to soften things with the smiley. I really hoped there was a further opportunity to learn something as you stated that you enjoyed your review and got a lot out of it.
I thought there was opportunity to get more.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you honestly know of the rule before? Did your cfi discuss it with you ?
Did he even know the rule ?

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill- it's important

The local noise is an issue, but the increased chance of collision is, I believe much more important.

The rules are established for a reason.
Yes we should have our head on a swivel, but you tend to look out at final, as someone is allowed a straight in, along the proper base and downwind, and at the runway to gauge your approach. You can only look so many places, and I'm sure you were concentrating even more on the runway, due to its length, or lack thereof.
If you are doing 70 knots on base and someone ahead of you is doing 60 knots, you are closing on him at 10 knots.
If he is coming from the other way on base, you are closing at 130 knots.
It is difficult to see someone coming right at you at a high rate of closure especially as he is not supposed to be there, so you probably don't concentrate there.
Please have an open mind as I'm trying to help-really

The Internet tone is hard to get past. I used to live on Long Island.
I suspect if we sat down to a civil conversation over a cup of coffee, we could reason this out better.

At my safety seminars, I am always surprised how many pilots don't know it is a hard and fast rule at pilot controlled airports
I have had many civil conversations about it in person, sometimes having to pull the rule out on my iPad to convince someone it is even indeed a rule.

Again, someone does not need a radio. They may have a radio, but be on the wrong frequency. Have you ever done that ?
I have forgotten to throw the switch; anyone that tells you they never did that hasn't flown much or is stretching the truth
Someone coming from Groton would be on Fishers in a heartbeat and could easily miss your call.
122.8 as you know is hard enough to hear on anyway, especially there.
I think it's a rule that should be followed. By far and away, most mid airs occur in the pattern.
If you respect that cfi, i would call him and ask him how he feels about this conversation. If it's Mid Island, I guarantee his bosses won't think kindly of a right pattern at a left pattern airport.

I'm glad you enjoyed your review- it just strikes me as an important point, and I hope you will reconsider your attitude as to picking and choosing which rules you think are good and which ones can be ignored, regardless of how many people pat you on the back.

Last edited:
Tom he asked what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to get checked out for short fields. He suggested we go to Block Island because it is a place I could see myself going to. It's came out to be 2.0 on the Hobbs and he made it very clear that he was combining as much as he could into the lesson. Believe me I'm not one to be giving a CFI a ride on my dime- I got plenty out of it!

Ok good. I have just been hearing too much lately of CFIs doing unnecessary long flight to get thier hours up.

Now if you want short field, give mattiuck a try, nice pucker factor there. Also spadaro is a nice short one to practice at.

I have always assumed right-hand traffic patterns and preferred calm-wind runways were established for some reason, and, even without knowing the reason, I assumed they should be followed.

Most I assume are due to neighborhood "issues", and I, as a transient, don't want to cause issues for the local guys in their relations with neighbors.

I tried to soften things with the smiley. I really hoped there was a further opportunity to learn something as you stated that you enjoyed your review and got a lot out of it.
I thought there was opportunity to get more.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you honestly know of the rule before? Did your cfi discuss it with you ?
Did he even know the rule ?

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill- it's important

The local noise is an issue, but the increased chance of collision is, I believe much more important.

The rules are established for a reason.
Yes we should have our head on a swivel, but you tend to look out at final, as someone is allowed a straight in, along the proper base and downwind, and at the runway to gauge your approach. You can only look so many places, and I'm sure you were concentrating even more on the runway, due to its length, or lack thereof.
If you are doing 70 knots on base and someone ahead of you is doing 60 knots, you are closing on him at 10 knots.
If he is coming from the other way on base, you are closing at 130 knots.
It is difficult to see someone coming right at you at a high rate of closure especially as he is not supposed to be there, so you probably don't concentrate there.
Please have an open mind as I'm trying to help-really

The Internet tone is hard to get past. I used to live on Long Island.
I suspect if we sat down to a civil conversation over a cup of coffee, we could reason this out better.

At my safety seminars, I am always surprised how many pilots don't know it is a hard and fast rule at pilot controlled airports
I have had many civil conversations about it in person, sometimes having to pull the rule out on my iPad to convince someone it is even indeed a rule.

Again, someone does not need a radio. They may have a radio, but be on the wrong frequency. Have you ever done that ?
I have forgotten to throw the switch; anyone that tells you they never did that hasn't flown much or is stretching the truth
Someone coming from Groton would be on Fishers in a heartbeat and could easily miss your call.
122.8 as you know is hard enough to hear on anyway, especially there.
I think it's a rule that should be followed. By far and away, most mid airs occur in the pattern.
If you respect that cfi, i would call him and ask him how he feels about this conversation. If it's Mid Island, I guarantee his bosses won't think kindly of a right pattern at a left pattern airport.

I'm glad you enjoyed your review- it just strikes me as an important point, and I hope you will reconsider your attitude as to picking and choosing which rules you think are good and which ones can be ignored, regardless of how many people pat you on the back.

I really agree that tone is key on the Internet and I don't mean to be a jerk- I was just really happy after the review and was not thrilled to read a knock- this site is getting pretty negative in tone far too often.

Now to answer your question, I'm very aware that the standard pattern is left traffic unless otherwise stated and your points about why that is are very valid. I will say this, I follow that advice virtually all the time but in this case, I bent the rules a bit. I see these kinds of things all the time from other pilots but I respect that that does not make it right. To say I knew it was a hard and fast rule would be questionable because I assumed it was a rule but since the rule is broken all the time I figured it was not always followed. The other thing to note is I did not train out of an uncontrolled field so I'm kind of of the mindset that, if no one is around, the pilot should be in control and fly the plane safely. However, now knowing it is a hard set rule, I will consider that more each flight. I honestly chose to enter on the base because I felt that less turns in the pattern would lead to a safer outcome on such a short field. If I saw anyone or heard anyone in the pattern I would never just enter the pattern however I felt.

I do appreciate the input and further learning chances.

Last edited:
Its not 'advice' it's the law. You broke the law on a BFR and got signed off anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The CFI says, well we can try Montauk. We take back off and he says, you know Fishers Island (0B8)is right here. Now those of us in the Northeast know Fishers Island airport real well.

Wait until you get the bill for landing at Montauk and Fishers Island.
But I agree that both are fun places to fly into.

I really agree that tone is key on the Internet and I don't mean to be a jerk- I was just really happy after the review and was not thrilled to read a knock- this site is getting pretty negative in tone far too often.

Now to answer your question, I'm very aware that the standard pattern is left traffic unless otherwise stated and your points about why that is are very valid. I will say this, I follow that advice virtually all the time but in this case, I bent the rules a bit. I see these kinds of things all the time from other pilots but I respect that that does not make it right. To say I knew it was a hard and fast rule would be questionable because I assumed it was a rule but since the rule is broken all the time I figured it was not always followed. The other thing to note is I did not train out of an uncontrolled field so I'm kind of of the mindset that, if no one is around, the pilot should be in control and fly the plane safely. However, now knowing it is a hard set rule, I will consider that more each flight. I honestly chose to enter on the base because I felt that less turns in the pattern would lead to a safer outcome on such a short field. If I saw anyone or heard anyone in the pattern I would never just enter the pattern however I felt.

I do appreciate the input and further learning chances.

I think that in addition to the safety reasons mentioned, there is another good reason to follow the mandated turns in the traffic pattern -- your hard-earned ticket.
There was at least one case that I recall where an FAA inspector was on the field, noticed that a pilot turned the "wrong way", and subsequently yanked his certificate. This was followed by a long (and likely costly) legal back-and-forth, at the end of which the ruling went against the pilot, IIRC.
So bear that in mind if you decide to play "Wrong Way Corrigan". :)

Last edited:
Guys I get it. I also get that the next time I post I won't be specific at all. We've beaten me up enough.

Guys I get it. I also get that the next time I post I won't be specific at all. We've beaten me up enough.

The ironic thing most of these FAR preachers will probably say how they never break laws on the ground either.

I think that in addition to the safety reasons mentioned, there is another good reason to follow the mandated turns in the traffic pattern -- your hard-earned ticket.
There was at least one case that I recall where an FAA inspector was on the field, noticed that a pilot turned the "wrong way", and subsequently yanked his certificate. This was followed by a long (and likely costly) legal back-and-forth, at the end of which the ruling went against the pilot, IIRC.
So bear that in mind if you decide to play "Wrong Way Corrigan". :)
You'd think that'd just be a 709 ride.

To the original OP: why not go to the FSDO and take the light gun signal test. Pretty easy to pass and then you get a waiver that you carry and it removes the restriction from your certificate. Plus you never need to do another color vision test during your medical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back