Gratuitous Grumman Aerobatics in this old TV show

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Starts around the 18:20 mark.
Amazing how quiet these planes were back in the day. Didn't even need headsets.

Scroll around for more flying action from these bad dudes of aviation.

Also, is that Dabney Coleman? Kinda looks like him and sounds like him.

One, Brian, does your hair blow around like that on startup? Two, that car somehow magically got out of the way. Three, that Mannix dude has caterpillars for eyebrows.

I like how the yellow barge magically moved out of the way for the Grumman to taxi straight forward, lol.

Ralph Stoner... lol.

Didn't know Grummans were approved for aerobatics

Also, for a minute there.... while they were flying out over the water... I thought they might fly under a bridge.

Whoa! From that ariticle:
"the dual-engine, single-wing, red-over-white plane"

single-wing??! Now we have pilots a.) flying under bridges and b.) doing it in aircraft that are obviously not airworthy!!!

Paging FAA... this must be stopped!!

20:03, the two most feared words in aviation.

"Watch this!"

Ralph Stoner... lol.

Didn't know Grummans were approved for aerobatics
The color of the Traveler and the ending "L" in the N-number made me do a double-take. I once owned a Traveler with the same color and paint pattern (N5965L). Never mustered up the nerve to do any rolls in it though.

Aerobatics without parachutes? I'm calling the FSDO to report them.

Also giggled when they showed inside views and they were leaning this way or that, cause that really happens.

I enjoyed the aerobatics.

Just the same, I think I’d pre-flight the plane first, especially after the mechanic tells me that the aileron is newly repaired.

I think I’d pre-flight the plane first

Or call clear prop...

But Ralph Stoner seemed to be a pretty good test pilot. Good enough to take a passenger he just met on a test flight of a pre-production aircraft.

Meh. That's nothing compared to doing them in a Warrior...

Watching an episode of Mannix would've been the very last thing I expected to be doing this morning.

I always liked his car, '66 or '67 Olds Toronado built by George Barris.

s-l1600-1.jpg

I enjoyed the aerobatics.

Just the same, I think I’d pre-flight the plane first, especially after the mechanic tells me that the aileron is newly repaired.

The other pilot told him it was full of gas and controls were free, what more do you need to know?

“We hope to sell a million of these”.......where have we heard that before LOL.

“We hope to sell a million of these”.......where have we heard that before LOL.
Need I remind you that the AA1/TR2 is based on a Jim Bede design? :D

Was uncommon to wear them back in those days (1972). I learned to fly in 1981. I didn't get headphones until 1987 or so (and even then it wasn't common).
Yeah, I blame some of my hearing issues with the 1970s "screaming" cockpit.

Back