grateful for the NAS

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
The NAS rocks.

1000nm flown today in single engine piston (Lancair 360). N07-3M7-KADF.

No fees to speak of, easily located cheapest gas for the whole way. Nice encounter at a family-run FBO, free snacks, drinks, wifi, etc.

VFR for first leg, flight following all the way, no hassles. Did my part to help out a heli pilot who couldn't reach Potomac Approach, offered to relay messages, controller and pilot very grateful. Karma established for flight.

Fuel stop at 3M7, service just as friendly as could be. Can't get IPad connected to their wifi (even though my phone got on), so I took them up on the offer to use their computer, jumped on DUATS and filed IFR from 3M7 to KADF, ETD 15 mins. Restroom, cold bottle of water, headed out. Taxi out, in the air a few minutes later....check in on the approach frequency, controller is busy as all get out. Squawk assigned, radar contact, cleared to KADF via direct, c/m 6000. Doesn't get any simpler.

Next controller sees precip 45 miles away (I'd seen it back at the FBO), offers me a slight re-route (20 degrees off course), then an updated route 5 minutes later after he sees the weather moving away a little bit, now I'm just 10 degrees off the direct course. The next two controllers keep me abreast of the weather situation, life is good. What amazes me is how much work they're putting into helping minimize my exposure to the potentially rough stuff, but also minimize the deviation.

Arrive at KADF, 9 minutes ahead of my ETA for the 1000nm flight. Client meets me on ramp, we're in the meeting room less than 10 minutes later, getting to work.

Every time I do one of these trips, I'm just blown away at the staggering utility of GA aircraft. And, almost every time I fly commercially, I'm reminded of how much I love to fly GA.

Airlines. PFFFT :) 1000nm or less, my door to door is faster and more flexible with GA.

Now the goal is finish up my work here in Arkansas by lunch time, then try to be home for dinner back in NJ! C'mon tailwinds!

I tell ya, after commuting on a 160nm milk run during spring and summer, it sure is nice to let the plane stretch its legs, I'm lovin' it.

Last edited:
I'm not one to say America is always number one, or often number one.

HOWEVER when it comes to aviation, we are number one world wide by a LARGE margin.

Here's to hoping our fearless leaders don't screw that up, or turn our system into some euro cluster fark.

I'm not one to say America is always number one, or often number one.

HOWEVER when it comes to aviation, we are number one world wide by a LARGE margin.

Here's to hoping our fearless leaders don't screw that up, or turn our system into some euro cluster fark.
If there's anything the U.S. got right, it's aviation.

I was thinking the same thing the other day when I was flying the glider over McConnell AFB's airspace yesterday in the glider.

I have nothing but love for our controllers and the assistance they professionally provide for us.

great story!

I think the only thing that could have possibly made that trip better is if you would have taken Rampersad Haribhai Spoonilal Victor Muckerjee along with you as your copilot! :goofy:

but seriously, how was it going over the appalachian 'mtns'?

Sounds like you are not so much grateful for the NAS in particular as GA in general.

I agree. :)

Having flown GA in the UK and Europe as well as the US, the US is far superior.

I hope you enjoyed your stay here in Arkansas, Coma24. I, like you, am impressed with the utility and convenience of GA. I wish more people in the U.S. knew and understood just what we have here (especially our politicians!). Thanks for the uplifting post.

My big takeaway from my dual and solo xc's was that there is an amazing support network out there. On my dual I was off course, my cfi knew it and hinted, but I stubbornly kept going. Pretty soon center calls up "hey 34u, where are you going? Medford is 10 miles to your 9 o'clock." Cfi thought that was hilarious.

On the solo, weather at the destination didn't do what it was supposed to, and once again center was very helpful looking for a way around and then getting me to an alternate. There (McPherson) I found a very friendly and welcoming fbo. Called flight services for a new weather briefing, the briefer asked if I was on a student xc, and suggested a route with clear weather all the way and long enough to meet requirements.

I never have to feel like I'm completely alone in the plane.

Did the 1000nm return trip the following day. (KADF-3M7-N07)

Washington Center controller offered me a simple IFR clearance when it was becoming inconvenient to maintain VFR over the top.

Had a great experience at every airport and with every controller.

Back