Grant assurances; history of penalization

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Regarding the grant assurances - and specifically the part about hangar um ...oh what's the euphemism they use, in which they steal your hangars after so many years?
Anyway, I am wondering - has the FAA ever denied airport facility funding because an airport authority failed to make claim to existing hangars on their property?

Some make the claim that such actions (acquiring hangars in this manner ie legal action without compensation) is an over-interpretation of the FAA grant assurances. Even if it is not an over-interpretation, I want to know what is really happening in the wild.

I'm sure this will lead to a lot of off-topic discussion; that's cool but I want to drill down to real world experiences of "The FAA stopped runway maintenance at KXYZ in 2020 because the airport authority refused to take/steal/acquire all the hangars on the property" or "There are no such instances known" sort of responses.
Thanks.

I’m not quite following your question. You’re asking if the FAA has ever revoked funding to an airport for failing to do what?

My second inquiry would be whether or not the airport in question receives federal funding?

I'm confused by the question too. I think you're asking if airport sponsors are obligated to take over the structure on a ground lease after the lease expired, and if not, did the FAA cut off funding? The answer is no, the airport is not required to do so, and no the FAA won't cut off funding if they don't.

... they steal your hangars after so many years?
When one leases a car, at the end of the lease term, the dealership expects to get the car back. In your opinion, did the dealership steal the car?

I've owned a few hangars subjected to a ground lease. The closing documents clearly spell out the terms of the ground lease.
The buyer is well aware what to expect at the termination of the ground lease.
Usually they get renewed for another term.
Sometimes the structures become property of the airport.
Occasionally the lessee is responsible to remove the structure and return a clean lot back to the airport.

The hangar is never "stolen".
Don't like the terms of the ground lease? Don't sign.
So far, I've only sold hangars for more than I paid.

Count me as another who doesn't understand what you are asking. Maybe the problem is using the word stealing for something the hangar lessee agreed to. Are you in essence asking, "has the FAA ever gone after an airport for extending a lease instead of terminating it?"

Last edited:
Back