GRAND CANYON this Thursday.

amoel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
amoel
Hello guys,

I'm planning on flying to the Grand Canyon (KGCN) this Thursday and would like to have feedback from other pilots. First of all, I'm flying from San Diego and before landing I would like to fly the Dragon Corridor at 11,500 northbound and then the Zuni Point Corridor at 10,500 southbound.

Two questions, first, it says to MONITOR 120.05 on that sector, but it does not say that I need to be making positions reports, are we supposed to be doing those reports or just monitoring that frequency?

Second, winds are expected to be light bellow 8 knots on the ground, has anyone flown the area and can tell me if I should expect any bumpiness up there?

Last but not least, any good tips on what to do once on the ground?

Thanks!

For whatever is worth, I will be flying an SR22 Cirrus.

Ever seen Antelope Canyon?

USA_10096-7-8_HDR_Antelope_Canyon_Luca_Galuzzi_2007.jpg

There is an airport IN the canyon (upstream from the park). Marble canyon, L41. Right next to a restaurant that was really historic and amazing, burned down and is now rebuilt! Be careful, down in a canyon and fairly short.

Last edited:
You might find a few bumps over the trees during approach/climb out. In the corridors you should not encounter anything to be concerned with. You don't have to broadcast your positions on 120.05 but it doesn't hurt to do so either. Should be a pretty slow day in the air over the canyon.

In November I refueled in Vegas then flew over lake Mead and followed the Grand Canyon all the way to KGCN at 8500. Very smooth flight. I monitored 120.05 and heard all the Tour Flights calling their positions but with the Grand Canyon Sectional I could not tell where they were. Heard one guy say " i am going up the WALL now" where is that on the sectional!! I have ADS-B-IN and could see their location on my iPad. Big help!!! We stayed the night next to the south rim of the canyon at the El Tovar hotel. Very nice place. Great food. Take lots of photos and hike around. Lots to see. Oh yea if you can give the FBO a 20 min. Heads up you need a ride to the Village. That is how long it takes to get a ride.

Last edited:
My thought on any corridor with a "monitor frequency" is this. If everyone is simply monitoring and not giving position reports nobody knows where anyone is. Kind of defeats the purpose of a common frequency. If everyone except you is giving reports you know where they are, but they dont know where you are. Better than nothing, but I'd rather everyone be talking to everyone. Mandatory reporting or not, it's the safest way IMHO.

BTW, where do you fly out of? I'm based at Palomar and there are a bunch of people on here from MYF as well.

Hello guys,

I'm planning on flying to the Grand Canyon (KGCN) this Thursday and would like to have feedback from other pilots. First of all, I'm flying from San Diego and before landing I would like to fly the Dragon Corridor at 11,500 northbound and then the Zuni Point Corridor at 10,500 southbound.

Two questions, first, it says to MONITOR 120.05 on that sector, but it does not say that I need to be making positions reports, are we supposed to be doing those reports or just monitoring that frequency?

Second, winds are expected to be light bellow 8 knots on the ground, has anyone flown the area and can tell me if I should expect any bumpiness up there?

Last but not least, any good tips on what to do once on the ground?

Thanks!

For whatever is worth, I will be flying an SR22 Cirrus.

Like someone said, maybe a few bumps, but shouldn't be bad.

Note that there is often a crosswind at GCN.

If you go into the park on the ground, I recommend going to "Mather point". It's only a couple miles from the main visitor center (you can take the bus or drive). The view from there is _much_ better than what you can see at the visitor center area.

Also, last time I was there, they had no tiedowns, or chocks. You may want to bring your own chocks.

Thanks to all! Will be leaving tomorrow, couple of days in Vegas and Friday flying to GC. I am based at MYF (answer for Dallas). Will definitely be reporting my position...

Take lots of pictures for us. Also keep an eye on the cool places to fly forum, a group of us got together at Casa Machado a while back and keep talking about doing it again. Maybe it'll happen someday soon!

The red rock area around Sedona is not to be missed, and you don't have to be 2 miles above. You can ridge soar and get close to the formations. Land at Sedona, refuel, take a crew car in town for lunch.

Here are my GPS way points coming from the Phoenix area.

Grand_Canyon_GPS__Medium_.jpg

Shot of the Grand Canyon.

Arizona_Trip_023__Medium_.jpg

This is a shot of the Sedona red rock area. I am flying below the plateau.

Arizona_Trip_012__Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
Back