GPU?

Kevin Ray

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
My Piper Cherokee 6 has an external GPU plug receptacle…can this be used to jumpstart when have a dead battery? How? I bought the male plug and connected it to a jump box and nothing happened. I thought jump box was fully charged, but unsure, and after turning master ON and trying to crank it, jump box tested DEAD. I am currently charging jump box. And put Battery Minder charger on the battery. Jump box has jump started my Cessna before, but not sure if enough amps for my Cherokee 6. Am I correct in thinking that that’s one of the purposes of having a GPU? For easy access jump start?

I have used the one on my Lance to jump start from a vehicle. It can not be used to charge the battery as there is a relay between it and the battery that is only energized if there is power on the port and the master is on. This is shown in my POH electrical diagram. Your dead booster box is most likely the issue, but I have never tried it with a booster box. The booster box may require that some voltage must be sensed before it activates. If so, it will not work on these aircraft as there is no voltage to sense.

I have used the one on my Lance to jump start from a vehicle. It can not be used to charge the battery as there is a relay between it and the battery that is only energized if there is power on the port and the master is on. This is shown in my POH electrical diagram. Your dead booster box is most likely the issue, but I have never tried it with a booster box. The booster box may require that some voltage must be sensed before it activates. If so, it will not work on these aircraft as there is no voltage to sense.
Ok. Thank you

There should be a procedure in the POH for starting from an external power source. It’s been a while, but my memory is that you have turn just one of master switches on…alt only? Of course you have to have the required amperage in the external power source. I remember tried it once and got almost nothing, double checked the checklist and corrected the master switch.

I have considered putting a small diode across the main terminals of the GPU relay to allow trickle charging of the battery via the GPU.

My Piper Cherokee 6 has an external GPU plug receptacle…can this be used to jumpstart when have a dead battery?
For easy access jump start?
Yes. How that is done should be explained in the POH. Each aircraft may have different process or switchology.
I bought the male plug and connected it to a jump box
Can you post a picture? I'm not following your description.
And put Battery Minder charger on the battery.
If your battery is DEAD... a battery minder will not bring it back properly. It will require a full charge sequence per the battery service manual process. FYI: some lead acid batteries can be permanently damaged if discharged below a certain level.

I have considered putting a small diode across the main terminals of the GPU relay to allow trickle charging of the battery via the GPU.
You may want to review the aircraft schematic prior. Some systems require a different approach but I've found installing a separate charging pigtail direct to the battery to be the most efficient. And some GPU plug cutouts can have enough space to mount this charge pigtail connector next to the GPU plug.

Back