GPSS Benefits?

182Q

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
182Q
My 182 has two Garmin 430Ws, STEC 60-2 autopilot with auto trim, and Aspen PFD Pro with GPSS. I fly transition RNAV approaches with the 60-2 in HDG and ALT modes and the Aspen in GPSS. When established on final I switch the 60-2 to NAV mode well outside the FAF to arm glideslope capture. However, the setup is equally effective at flying a transition approach if I just leave the 60-2 in NAV and ALT modes and then tap NAV again well outside the FAF to arm capture. Is there supposed to be a performance or accuracy difference between these two arrangements?

Que Doug in three, two....

Well, Doug tellef WAS reading this, but it looks like he chose not to answer......:dunno:

Well, Doug tellef WAS reading this, but it looks like he chose not to answer......:dunno:
Maybe he will later. Any help would be appreciated. I was expecting a difference between the two modes.

Good Afternoon, sorry about the delayed response, I had left the office yesterday when this posted. There is a difference in the way the track is calculated. In heading mode the autopilot is following GPSS commands from your GPS passed through the heading channel. In nav mode the autopilot is looking at left/right deviation on the CDI and calculates it's own intercept. Depending on the route followed, the intercepts, and when the specific modes are engaged you may notice a difference, depending on the different methods of calculating the intercept.

Thanks Doug. Is it reasonable to say that the HDG/GPSS mode is most always an improvement over NAV mode until you are ready to arm glideslope capture?

I have found with various autopilots that in NAV mode with a decent crosswind, they will take some time and some amount of weaving to get the course centered up. GPSS doesn't have this problem.

Also, holding. NAV mode won't fly hands-off holding patterns. GPSS will.

Who has installed the new garmin 375 in Cessna 182 got questions about glide slope fron 6o-2 auto polit what do you need to follow it down with the slpo

Thanks so much for the feedback about the 375 how do you like what other instrument did you put with it I have 155a 2 of them 1 with obs glide slope works good the a bk hsi with heading bug an gps work good my screen going out on klm94 it work good but you the rest of that want to up date

Back