GPS Navigator Install in a S-LSA

bigmo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bigmo
Calling any avionics experts for help/clarification.

I have a Tecnam P2008T (factory built S-LSA). I've been having trouble with avionics companies - in my opinion, just unfamiliarity with S-LSAs. I *DO* have the factory provided Letter of Authorization (LOA) from Tecnam headquarters authorizing the specific install (in my case, the GPS175) in my specific aircraft. In the LOA, Tecnam specifies the installation can be performed by a "FAA certified LSA Repairman Maintenance - Airplane, or an A&P". They also stipulate that the installation is a "Minor Repair/Alteration". My aircraft is all Garmin (twin G3X Touch, Garmin autopilot, etc).

Of the ten shops I've contacted, three were not interested in a single piece install. Three did not return a call or email. One was booked through May 2025. Three got back to me with initial quotes, then retracted quotes for some various reasons. Those reasons:

FAA approval in the form of an STC
FAA issued Field Approved 337 or 8110-3 from a DER
Garmin needs to add the P2008 to their AML STC
We do not have LSA s on our capabilities list for the repair station

As far as I can tell, none of this applies to an S-LSA due to them having a Special Airworthiness Certificate. My A&P (also a Rotax tech) said "Let's do just it ourselves. It's mostly plug and play.

I emailed Midwest Panel Builders and asked if they'd provide a turn-key solution (they sell the Garmin too). I sent them my complete equipment list (all Garmin).

So, the question - is this just the general unfamiliarity with LSAs? Are any of the reasons above correct?

More importantly, is this an "easy" install? Garmin did send a logical diagram, technical specs, etc. on the install and interconnectivity for my panel (I needed that for my LOA application to Tecnam). Their specs details the order, cabling etc. of my G3X, the GAD 29C (ARINC 429 adapter), and the required RS232 cabling.

Thoughts?

My guess? Not enough profit for shops with a long backlog of high dollar installs.

Is there a Tecnam owners group and has someone there done this already or are you the first?

My guess? Not enough profit for shops with a long backlog of high dollar installs.

Is there a Tecnam owners group and has someone there done this already or are you the first?
There is, but I believe all the folks that have done this wound up going experimental. Tecnam was a bit stingy with LOAs, but now that they are offering GTNs as a factory option, they are doing LOAs (which allows me to keep my S-LSA airworthiness).

So, KIND of the first. But it should be no different than any experimental aircraft getting an avionics install.

Funny thing about profit - I was told this is a < 8 hour job. Lowest labor cost was $4K...so $500 an hour. Ugghhh...

Sure you don't want to go experimental?

Sure you don't want to go experimental?
I'm open to it. I'm instrument rated (and current), and there's certainly a few times I'd like to punch up or down through a layer. My Tecnam IS fully equipped (dual screen, dual ADAHRS, battery backup, current pitot static).

This was news to me, but a semi-legend in the LSA world told me that with the LOA, I could go experimental and go back to S-LSA if I wanted later. His logic was that the LOA allows me to unwind if I wanted. He is a DAR FWIW.

I was mainly hesitant as I wasn't sure of the implications on resale and was hopeful MOSAIC rules would change in the next few years. Real IMC scares the bejeezus out of my wife, so I haven't really set out to fly in IMC. I'm talking gentleman's IMC here.

So, the question - is this just the general unfamiliarity with LSAs? Are any of the reasons above correct?
From a maintenance point S-LSAs are a bit unique even though they have a Special AWC. While I'm not 100% on this, I believe if you install FAA-approved parts there are some Part 43 requirements that need to be followed. So of the 4 reasons you list, the 4th I believe is correct for the repair station capabilities list as the LSA rules state "an appropriately rated repair station" even though you have a LOA.

Now whether that means your aircraft needs to be listed on the STC AML, I don't know, but I think a 337 must be filed if applicable. Regardless, if all the shops you contacted were a CRS then its plausible they may see the work you need as falling in the proverbial gray area from a regulatory aspect. I never dealt with S-LSAs much but as I recall one of the reasons driving S-LSA owners to convert to E-LSA was to get away from those "unique" rules. I'm sure a Tecnam type club could answer these questions much better.

Last edited:
where are you located, i'm going through the same thing and have a shop willing to do the work
Midwest, but willing to go just about anywhere at this point.

Last edited:
Back