GPS Direct to fix, homing vs track

How about a slightly different situation in the same vein: you're flying from FIXXA to FIXXB and vectored off course for a bit for weather, traffic, whatever. Then the controller comes back with just "resume own navigation". Do you rejoin your original course or go direct from present position to FIXXB? In the ancient world of VORs you'd probably need to rejoin a known radial to get back on course but in the modern GPS world it could always be a direct-to.
I would choose something reasonable and tell the controller what I was doing. BTDT.

He's not going to say "resume own navigation".

When you request the deviation, he'll say, "[left/right] deviations approved, direct [FIXXB] when able (and advise)"
I agree with you for a requested deviation.

The poster said VECTORED off course. In that case, I would expect either a Resume Own Nav or a Direct to the Next fix.

For Resume, I would see how far I was from the next fix and decide whether it makes sense to rejoin my previous track or go direct.

I agree with you for a requested deviation.

The poster said VECTORED off course. In that case, I would expect either a Resume Own Nav or a Direct to the Next fix.
If you are IFR, they aren't going to give you a non-specific, "Resume own navigation " if you are off your filed course. They are going to give you some specific way to get back on course, either direct to a fix (usually) or a heading to re-join the airway/route (less often).

Back