GPS database out of date.. are you slant Golf?

Ok so as usual, you guys sent me down a time sucking rabbit hole :D It isn't perfectly clear what regulatory requirements are, but the practical requirements are somewhat more clear. Here's a good thread on the minutia.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...gps-with-an-out-of-date-database-in-lieu-of-d
I’d say it’s the other way around...the regulatory requirements are clear (verify the waypoints). What’s not clear is how the FAA expects that to actually be done.

I’d say it’s the other way around...the regulatory requirements are clear (verify the waypoints). What’s not clear is how the FAA expects that to actually be done.

I think I disagree with you there. The FAA gives pretty clear guidance on that (see link).

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/#q8c

"Navigation databases are expected to be current for the duration of the flight. If the AIRAC cycle will change during flight, operators and pilots should establish procedures to ensure the accuracy of navigation data, including suitability of navigation facilities used to define the routes and procedures for flight. Traditionally, this has been accomplished by verifying electronic data against paper products. "

Interesting discussion. It makes me think about the 4000 hours of flying I did with paper charts and VOR's back in the 80's 90's. All those envelopes of chart updates Jeppesen used to send out. PITA
Now we have EFB's and updates are automatic and easy.
And here we are arguing about how to make sure the electronic data matches the electronic data....

so....what is legal?

my understanding is the following:
1.) It is ok to file /G for "enroute" using an outdated 530 or 530W
2.) It is ok to accept an approach using an outdated database provided the current approach plate is dated "older" than the installed database.

1) no it isn't, unless you hand verified the position of each fix you intend to fly using another official source (hard, and hard to ensure accuracy)
2) No, not ever

If allowed by the 530 or 530W AFM supplement, my take is as follows:

Based on Note 2 of AIM Table 1-1-6, I agree with George Mohr on #1.
Based on Note 3 of AIM Table 1-1-6, I agree with Checkout_my_Six on #2.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/

Attachments

• AIM Table 1-1-6 (as of 2-28-19).pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
....and we know that a simple handheld gps unit can be used for enroute situational awareness.... ;)

I think I disagree with you there. The FAA gives pretty clear guidance on that (see link).

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/#q8c

"Navigation databases are expected to be current for the duration of the flight. If the AIRAC cycle will change during flight, operators and pilots should establish procedures to ensure the accuracy of navigation data, including suitability of navigation facilities used to define the routes and procedures for flight. Traditionally, this has been accomplished by verifying electronic data against paper products. "
But did you notice that we were 60 posts into this discussion before anybody came up with a good method?

operators and pilots should establish procedures to ensure the accuracy of navigation data, including suitability of navigation facilities used to define the routes and procedures for flight. Traditionally, this has been accomplished by verifying electronic data against paper products
So not to be hopelessly pedantic or pedantically hopeless.. but, is it safe to infer from this two postulates then, that

(A) "pilots should establish procedures to ensure accuracy of navigation data" - gives me latitude to determine that accuracy on my own volition. If that is @Somedudeintn method or some other method, I have the authority to ensure that on my own. Now if I crash into a mountain sure, the NTSB could say "pilot failure to adequately ensure his expired nav data base had consistently accurate waypoints" but that may not make it illegal since I was following my own procedure.. just maybe not well or accurately enough

(B) "verifying electronic data against paper products" - those paper products may be as simple as a current sectional and, if my procedure in (A) was a visual comparison of it's map point on the GTN to what the paper product says.. then I have effectively done so

I honestly wish that said "paper products" was highlighting what it actually is, and I find it peculiar that there isn't some readily available giant index somewhere or reference of every naviational waypoint and its lattitude and longitude

In theory, if either your iPad or Garmin go out of date you can use the Mohr link above and validate the waypoint

This argument has gone on for a long time. When Garmin released its AFMS in late 2007 for the GNS530W it followed the wording used in the GNS480 AFMS and it allowed for both enroute/terminal operations and approaches with an expired database. Here is the AFMS wording in section 2.3 of the Limitations for the GNS500W series:
a) IFR enroute and terminal navigation is prohibited unless the pilot verifies the currency of the database or verifies each selected waypoint for accuracy by reference to current approved data.
b) GPS instrument approaches using the 500W Series units are prohibited, unless the 500W Series unit’s approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current. Instrument approaches must be accomplished in accordance with an approved instrument approach procedure that is loaded from the 500W Series unit database Instrument approaches must be accomplished in accordance with an approved instrument approach procedure that is loaded from the 500W Series unit database

It deliberately says that "unless the 500W Series unit’s approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current" and does not say "The 500W Series unit's database must be current, only that the approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current. Subsequent versions of the AFMS were rewritten, but there is no requirement that AFMS be updated. So if you still are using the older AFMS, its limitations are still in effect.

Enroute and terminal operations required that waypoints need to be verified with a current source, usually a paper chart or now a days in the case of ForeFlight a current IFR Low chart. Approaches could also be verified by loading the procedure from the database and determining the procedure thus loaded is current. This is accomplished by comparing the effective date of the database with the effective date of the chart. As long as the chart effective date was the same or earlier than the expired database effective date, the approach data is verified. Subsequently, in August of 2010, the AIM wording was changed to officially support this. Note 3 which applies to the use of an expired database for a RNAV(GPS) approach operations in TBL 1-1-6 was changed to read as "Requires current database." to now read as "Requires current database or verification that the procedure has not been amended since the expiration of the database."

So as a technical matter, it all depends. If your installation uses the AFMS wording above, RNAV(GPS) approaches may be conducted using an expired database subject to the verification of the approach data. If the later wording is used, it has provisions for using an expired database if the flight transitions into the next AIRAC cycle. The wording in the AIM has not been changed in TBL 1-1-6 and although it technically can't override what is in an AFMS, it is completely safe to do so. So what do you do if you are caught away on a flight and the database changes and can't get updated until you return home? I would follow the AIM guidance.

As far as verifying enroute and terminal points, most are easy to do as the VOR all chart the lat-long on the low altitude enroute charts. Airports don't usually move and their locations are easily verified. Many waypoints have the lat-long also shown on the approach charts and if airways are used, one can cross reference the distance and radial information to the nearest VOR, which in addition to the lat-long is shown in the Waypoint page. Also, SIDs and STAR's can use the same technique as approaches, by comparing dates. This will cover all the data in the SID/STAR. Most of my flights are direct or I just file to a VOR to VOR along the route. If the route is an airway, the VOR and turn points can be verified. It only takes a very few minutes to verify everything on a typical flight, including what approaches I can use or will need to avoid.

Do you know where to find the criteria to determine when an Amendment must be done?

@midlifeflyer is broadly correct, but for the truly interested, the full list is contained in FAAO 8260.19H, para 8-3-4b:
https://www.google.com/search?q=faa...rome..69i57.2639j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

...Amendment of a procedure is required when:
(1)The airport/heliport identifier and/or name is changed.
(2)The associated city name/state is changed.
(3)The name, facility type, and/or identifier of any NAVAID is changed, including those mentioned in the “Additional Flight Data” and “Missed Approach” blocks of the 8260-series form.
(4)Any NAVAID or marker beacons used in the procedure are decommissioned.
(5)The runway numbering is changed.
(6)A secondary equipment requirement is added to or deleted from the procedure and the procedure ID does not change; e.g., adding “DME Required” Note.
(7)The Procedure ID changes; e.g., from “GPS” to “RNAV (GPS)”; “VOR/DME to VOR;” “VOR” to “VOR or TACAN”; “ILS” to “ILS or LOC.” This includes the addition/deletion/modification of any straight-in procedure suffix; e.g., from “RNAV (GPS) RWY 36” to “RNAV (GPS) Z RWY 36.”
(8)Adding a segment to an instrument procedure [see paragraph 8-3-4.c].
(9)Deleting a segment of an instrument procedure.
(10)Changing runway threshold/end location and/or any published fix location or makeup[see paragraph 8-3-4.c].
(11)Changing any published fix name only.
(12)Changing a charted “magnetic” course/bearing/heading that does not alter the existing ground track.
(13)Changing a charted course/bearing/heading that would alter the existing ground track[see paragraph 8-3-4.c].
(14)Increasing an altitude.
(15)Lowering an altitude [see paragraph 8-3-4.c].
(16)Any published distance is changed which:
(a)Requires a change to the time/distance table.
(b)Is 0.1 NM or greater for distances inside the FAF.
(c)Is 0.5 NM or greater for distances outside the FAF.
Note: For non-RNAV procedures only, when any published distance is changed which is less than 0.5 NM for distances outside the FAF, or less than 0.1 NM for distances inside the FAF, the change may be delayed until the procedure is next amended.
(17)Any minimums change to include adding another line of minimums (including CATII/III and SA CAT II), deleting minimums, increasing minimums, lowering minimums, and returning minimums to their previous value after a temporary condition. An amendment is also required when adding SA CAT I minimums to a runway where standard CAT II minimums have not been established [see paragraph 8-3-4.c].
(18)The airport elevation or touchdown zone elevation is changed and minimums are affected. When published minimums are not affected, include these changes in the next amendment [see paragraph 8-3-4.e(2)].
(19)Frequencies are changed in notes on the Forms 8260-3/4/5/7A, or military equivalent.
(20)Lighting changes occur that affect published visibility and/or renders a procedure unusable at night.
(21)Changes to plan view, profile view, or briefing strip chart notes [this includes adding the chart note specified in paragraph 8-6-11.k(1)].
(22)Changes to charted obstacles that are identified on the 8260-series form, in the“Additional Flight Data” block.

Filing /G does not mean the aircraft is capable of doing approaches. I know of no regulation that requires that a database be current in order to list the aircraft is equipped with a GPS in a flight plan. 91.205 requires that the aircraft "navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown". If your database is expired, don't file or accept a clearance for a route that you have not verified all of the waypoints you will use.

@midlifeflyer is broadly correct, but for the truly interested, the full list is contained in FAAO 8260.19H, para 8-3-4b:
https://www.google.com/search?q=faa...rome..69i57.2639j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks for finding that. (16) answers some of whats been discussed here about verifying the 'exact' location of a fix. Outside the FAF, distance changes of less than 0.5 mile do not require Amendment as long as the Ground Track doesn't change. 0.1 miles inside the FAF. And sometimes it can wait until the Chart is Amended for some other reason. If I'm reading it right.

But Cap'n Ron assured me that filing /G on a VFR flight plan was not allowed without an IFR GPS! ;)

But doesn't filing /G verify that you have on board TSO c129, c145 or c146 (aka "IFR") GPS? That is, the ability to navigate with GPS as the primary means of navigation (as in flying T-routes, for example)?

On the other hand, there is no reason you can't ask for a very specific VFR vector to fly direct to your destination using non-TSO ("VFR") GPS for positional awareness. Done it many times before I owned a GNS-430W. I never filed /G with only a VFR GPS on board, though. ATC is very happy to accept a suggestion for a VFR vector of 037 degrees direct destination, wink, wink, nod, nod. They know what is going on, and as a VFR flight you are responsible for your own terrain clearance anyway, GPS or not.

But doesn't filing /G verify that you have on board TSO c129, c145 or c146 (aka "IFR") GPS? That is, the ability to navigate with GPS as the primary means of navigation (as in flying T-routes, for example)?

On the other hand, there is no reason you can't ask for a very specific VFR vector to fly direct to your destination using non-TSO ("VFR") GPS for positional awareness. Done it many times before I owned a GNS-430W. I never filed /G with only a VFR GPS on board, though. ATC is very happy to accept a suggestion for a VFR vector of 037 degrees direct destination, wink, wink, nod, nod. They know what is going on, and as a VFR flight you are responsible for your own terrain clearance anyway, GPS or not.

Yup. G tells them you can fly T-routes and go Direct to a Intersection/Fix/Waypoint or Navaid outside it's Service Volume. If you're VFR, why would you do that wink wink heading wink wink thing? Just go Direct. Controller could give a Rats Azz how yer doin it.

FWIW it's worth, I wonder how much weight the whole "slant Golf" thing really carries in the eyes of a controller... I've been asked 3 different times now if I am RNAV capable, but only when being given an arrival procedure into some place busy, say for example Oakland. I've also heard them over the radio give slant Alpha people "direct-to" instructions for GPS fixes.. when the slant Alpha guy came back "unable, slant alpha" it took the guy a minute "ah, ok, hang on then.. fly heading XX" and eventually just gave him a victor airway to stay on

geez people.....don't any of you file and fly? You file and then you work out what works according to your capabilities.

Thanks for finding that. (16) answers some of whats been discussed here about verifying the 'exact' location of a fix. Outside the FAF, distance changes of less than 0.5 mile do not require Amendment as long as the Ground Track doesn't change. 0.1 miles inside the FAF. And sometimes it can wait until the Chart is Amended for some other reason. If I'm reading it right.

In practice, any fix moves will generate an amendment due to requiring database changes that are only processed if there is an amendment. Also, there is the Note: unless #16 that mentions non-RNAV procedures.

Yup. G tells them you can fly T-routes and go Direct to a Intersection/Fix/Waypoint or Navaid outside it's Service Volume. If you're VFR, why would you do that wink wink heading wink wink thing? Just go Direct. Controller could give a Rats Azz how yer doin it.

I was talking about VFR flight plans. Isn't it true that under normal circumstances, those only go to Flight Service and not to ATC? If so, then /G on a VFR flight plan tells ATC nothing whatsoever.

I was talking about VFR flight plans. Isn't it true that under normal circumstances, those only go to Flight Service and not to ATC? If so, then /G on a VFR flight plan tells ATC nothing whatsoever.
That’s correct.

Yes. But when you call ATC and request Flight Following they have to enter a Suffix Code into their Radar computer so it will generate a discrete beacon code to assign you. It does not have to match what you put in a VFR Flight Plan, if any. There are exceptions to this but they are uncommon. Some controllers ask you for the Suffix Code. Some just pick one and put it in.

No. C129 GPS is not approved for navigation as the primary means, just supplementary means. T routes require RNAV 2 capability. Most but not all GPS are RNAV 2 capable. To get the FAA automation to assign an RNAV 2 route, one needs to file with ICAO format and indicate the ICAO equipment is G, R with PBN/C2 or D2 specified in field 18.

In practice, any fix moves will generate an amendment due to requiring database changes that are only processed if there is an amendment. Also, there is the Note: unless #16 that mentions non-RNAV procedures.

There’s a distance limit that forces a fix name change. It was mentioned above. They CAN move a small distance and not be renamed.

No. C129 GPS is not approved for navigation as the primary means, just supplementary means. T routes require RNAV 2 capability. Most but not all GPS are RNAV 2 capable. To get the FAA automation to assign an RNAV 2 route, one needs to file with ICAO format and indicate the ICAO equipment is G, R with PBN/C2 or D2 specified in field 18.

So yet another reason to go WAAS.

There’s a distance limit that forces a fix name change. It was mentioned above. They CAN move a small distance and not be renamed.

Yes, the limit is 1 nm unless ATC deems it operationally necessary to keep the name.

But even if it's not renamed, any fix movement results in new fix coordinates that will require a change to the ARINC record that your GPS uses when you load the procedure. So, in effect, any fix movement results in an amendment to the procedure.

Back