Gps choices. G530w or GTN 650, 750?

I don't agree with that, it won't increase in value = to $ you spend, maybe not even 25%, but it will increase the value, the plane appraisal programs take it into account.
That said, I believe you should upgrade early, enjoy it, and when it comes to selling, you'll at least find it easier to sell a plane with a modern panel.

My panel raised the resale value of my plane not one cent.

The GNS 530 is great, but if you have the bucks, the GTN 750 is much superior.

We are thinking of adding another box. (Have G430 in plane.). Wanting WAAS capability. Has anyone recently added a G530w or a GTN unit lately? What price range are we seeing installed? Would say G530w should be cheapest and therefore way to go, but curious if others feel the extra cost is worth it for GTN unit. Worried about losing support / updates from Garmin in future.

Id add a MX20 MFD to your 430 and maybe have the WAAS upgrade done on your existing box if you haven't already. I've seen those MX20s going for not much at all on barnstormers and eBay.

You can put XM on them, traffic, they show VFR sectionals, IFR charts, terrain in good resolution, overlay plates and taxi diagrams once on the ground.

cf-lg.jpg

mx20-ifr-500.jpg

Not mine, but current bid $750 buy now for 2k, if you spend a little time you can do better then that too.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400737687655?nav=SEARCH

Leave the 430 in FPL mode and have this above it, that's how do it for single pilot IFR.

I've been a fan of buying last years tech when the price is right, my 530W can shoot a LPV down to 200' just like the new model, but with that extra money I can buy some gas so I can practice more then you ;)

The touch screen garmins have some cool features but the touch screen has been a issue in turbulence and not having that tactile feel, heck I can go "direct to" the nearest airport on a 430/530 by touch without even looking at it. YMMV

Last edited:
I've got an MX20 though it has limitations (it crashes with very involved NEXRAD radar plots) and can not support multiple of either FIS or TRAFFIC. So if you add ADSB you lose XM WEATEHR and MODE S TIS. If you want TRAFFIC you need to make sure you get the version that supports it. The only other non-software option is RADAR (which means airborne radar not FIS NEXRAD.

The GMX200 gets rid of many of the above.

The thing is still a glorified PC. It's running NT 4 (which you can see if you look carefully during boot).

After a couple of service nightmares with Garmin, and the fact that they killed to the only unit with a decent interface, I'm looking at Avidyne. They definitely seem to have a clue unlike the boys in Olathe.

It might not raise the value of the aircraft by any particular amount, but it will make it a lot easier to sell.

I've got an MX20 though it has limitations (it crashes with very involved NEXRAD radar plots) and can not support multiple of either FIS or TRAFFIC. So if you add ADSB you lose XM WEATEHR and MODE S TIS. If you want TRAFFIC you need to make sure you get the version that supports it. The only other non-software option is RADAR (which means airborne radar not FIS NEXRAD.

The thing is still a glorified PC. It's running NT 4 (which you can see if you look carefully during boot).

After a couple of service nightmares with Garmin, and the fact that they killed to the only unit with a decent interface, I'm looking at Avidyne. They definitely seem to have a clue unlike the boys in Olathe.

Worked fine for me flying through the LA basen, NYC and BOS airspace.

It has nothing to do with the airspace. It's a bug in the FIS code (don't know if it's tied to XM but that's what I use it with). When there's a lot of NEXRAD data (and/or possibly lightning data) the software screws up. Sometimes you get lighning bolts repeated all over the screen, but eventually it will BSOD on you (well it goes "SAFETY MONITOR SHUTDOWN" which is the same thing) and reboots. Only happens when you're on the FIS screen and there's lots of data. I suspect it's running out of memory.

I've seen funny behavior similar to that (random crashes that seem FIS-B-related) on my GMX-200 too. And you still have to choose between XM and FIS-B. The main plus to an MFD is the screen real estate when used with a small screen GPS like the 430 or 480. It displays my course, waypoints, tuned-in navaids, etc. in a lot more readable format than the 480. An iPad with Stratus and/or a Garmin handheld with XM is still a more cost-effective solution for weather and traffic. For taxi diagrams and charts? iPad all the way, ForeFlight is a lot less expensive than a Jeppesen ChartView subscription. I ditched ChartView the first year I owned my plane and haven't regretted that decision once.

I still have ChartView. At this point it's really just convenience (and it's handy to be able to look at the Jepp chart compared to the NACO ones when someone asks some trivia question in CloudBusters).

I am watching the IFD440 units. They should be close to production now...hopefully? ;)

I am watching the IFD440 units. They should be close to production now...hopefully? ;)

To be released on July 25th ;)

(they purposefully dont mention the year)

My panel raised the resale value of my plane not one cent.

Your particular airplane is not easy to sell no matter what radios are in it. ;)
A new radio won't increase the value by the cost of the radio, but it will certainly increase the value. :D
I'd pay more for an airplane with a 750 than a 530W than a KX155. :D

Lol.

At the prebuy price on the 440 unit, this could make a lot of sense for someone esp if the 430W is able to maintain value here over the next six months.

I actually just pinged the folks at Avidyne and they are still running the special prebuy price which they will continue to run till the 550 is released that is scheduled for the end of the month.

Here is the catch: They suggest that it will be 4 months for the 440 to release, and then I would be put on the 4 month prebuy wait list which puts me out to April 2015.

Sounds like a long time to wait but.... I am still seriously considering this.

Avidyne has always said the 440s will follow behind the 540s, by some several months, but I don't think there's anything more speciific than that.

When I face these decisions I try to pretend I am buying an airplane. When I look at planes one with a GTN750 stands out and I'd pay a premium for it. It says the owner wants the best. It means I don't have to worry as much about someone cutting corners elsewhere on the bird. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

750 is the answer.

When I face these decisions I try to pretend I am buying an airplane. When I look at planes one with a GTN750 stands out and I'd pay a premium for it. It says the owner wants the best. It means I don't have to worry as much about someone cutting corners elsewhere on the bird. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

A good example of the 'halo effect' first described by Thorndike.

A good example of the 'halo effect' first described by Thorndike.

Well I had to look that one up, I'm along ways from my psychology classes in college. This is a physical machine not a person with, emotions, behaviors, etc. So I don't believe the halo effect applies, although I probably don't understand it very well either. For example I've purchased a lot of cars, the first thing I do when evaluating a used car is look at the tires. Matched set of Michelins, probably means an owner that takes care of their car and wants the best care. By the same token a cheap set of bald chinese radials, means they're trying to dump it or they just don't care. I found this to be consistent the vast majority of the time, but who knows.:dunno:

It has nothing to do with the airspace. It's a bug in the FIS code (don't know if it's tied to XM but that's what I use it with). When there's a lot of NEXRAD data (and/or possibly lightning data) the software screws up. Sometimes you get lighning bolts repeated all over the screen, but eventually it will BSOD on you (well it goes "SAFETY MONITOR SHUTDOWN" which is the same thing) and reboots. Only happens when you're on the FIS screen and there's lots of data. I suspect it's running out of memory.

I've seen funny behavior similar to that (random crashes that seem FIS-B-related) on my GMX-200 too. And you still have to choose between XM and FIS-B. The main plus to an MFD is the screen real estate when used with a small screen GPS like the 430 or 480. It displays my course, waypoints, tuned-in navaids, etc. in a lot more readable format than the 480. An iPad with Stratus and/or a Garmin handheld with XM is still a more cost-effective solution for weather and traffic. For taxi diagrams and charts? iPad all the way, ForeFlight is a lot less expensive than a Jeppesen ChartView subscription. I ditched ChartView the first year I owned my plane and haven't regretted that decision once.

And we hear all these stories about how "certification" is worth it...

And we hear all these stories about how "certification" is worth it...
It depends on what you're talking about. For situational awareness aids, I agree. But if you want to have the tools to get into fields where there's only a GPS approach, then it's a no-brainer, isn't it?

750 is the answer.

And yet for far too many airplanes out there, I see the 750 and wonder where the owner cut corners in order to afford the 750.

It depends on what you're talking about. For situational awareness aids, I agree. But if you want to have the tools to get into fields where there's only a GPS approach, then it's a no-brainer, isn't it?

I was talking about the crappy software engineering causing full resets of Ron's "certified" avionics. That's utterly unacceptable.

I was talking about the crappy software engineering causing full resets of Ron's "certified" avionics. That's utterly unacceptable.
If you mean the MX-20, I'm not 100% sure but I believe it actually runs on Windoze. The GMX-200 certainly does.

So part of the blame goes to Micro$oft.

If you mean the MX-20, I'm not 100% sure but I believe it actually runs on Windoze. The GMX-200 certainly does.

Don't care. FAA "Certified" it.

Costs ten times what the hardware is worth for having gone through some magic pixie dust process that apparently sucks money out of manufacturers better than Monica in the Oval so they have to "pass along costs" to us.

If the damn thing can't even stay operating when multiple layers are selected for display, what good is this uber-expensive "certification" process again?

Of course the way to "fix" it, isn't to fix the certification process. Just issue an AD that they're not certified for use until the crashing is fixed by Garmin.

[Edit: If it's not clear, that's sarcasm.]

Basically what I'm saying here is, the certification process is apparently crap, judging by the finished product that's been through it. Crashing under load instead of shedding load gracefully is unacceptable in modern avionics.

And frankly, don't get me started on Garmin choosing MSFT as a display engine. Who hasn't seen displays doing nothing but showing the burger menu, crashed?

Or unlicensed in this case...

uqahemav.jpg

And frankly, don't get me started on Garmin choosing MSFT as a display engine. Who hasn't seen displays doing nothing but showing the burger menu, crashed?

UPS designed the MX20 and the GMX200 was an evolutionary design done by the same engineers. I don't think Garmin chose this course of action.

The GTN650 plus GDL88 or GTX330ES costs around $20k installed. That's a lot of coin to put in the panel of an airplane that may not be worth much more, but it will bring some value in capability. On the other hand, substituting a 750 does nothing but add substantial cost without a material increase in capability in most cases.

No doubt some people would pay a "premium" for high-end avionics, but they're likely the same people who are looking for someone else to absorb the depreciation on that panel--the "buy an airplane that's already upgraded" crowd. I'm not arguing that's bad advice, but for most single piston owners, I doubt the investment in a 750 over a 650 will pay off at resale, especially in a time where many pilots prefer the high value, low cost capabilities of tablet computers. Any "premium" being offered would likely pale in comparison to the initial investment.

JKG

No it won't. Ease of utility and access of information will increase, and that is the value that counts for people, not resale.

You mean to tell me that the same aircraft with a 430W would have the same Vref as one with a GTN 750? :no:

As a recent aircraft buyer I can assure you that the GTN raises the price of the airplane. Of course the "value" is whatever someone will pay for it, blah blah. But the Vref his certainly higher with the GTN 750 than the 430 all else being equal.

Last edited:

It runs on Windows NT. You remember NT, from 1995? Yeah me neither. :D

I hate MFDs because they don't actually do anything but display. My panel space is very limited so I want the thing to be a multitasker: GPS/Nav/Comm/ILS or at least a couple of those things.

Back