Gps choices. G530w or GTN 650, 750?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
We are thinking of adding another box. (Have G430 in plane.). Wanting WAAS capability. Has anyone recently added a G530w or a GTN unit lately? What price range are we seeing installed? Would say G530w should be cheapest and therefore way to go, but curious if others feel the extra cost is worth it for GTN unit. Worried about losing support / updates from Garmin in future.

If you can find a good price on a used 530W, you may be able to beat the installed price on a GTN750, but probably not a 650. So it's more a question on how much you want the bigger screen versus the newer features. And yes, it's almost certain the GTN's will be supported longer than the GNS's, but with 100,000 GNS units in the field, Garmin would probably be shooting themselves in the foot for future sales if they dropped GNS support any time in the foreseeable future.

I have a 530 currently being upgraded to a 530W, if I were starting from scratch, I'd get a GTN. The GNS line is getting old. I'm hoping to squeeze 10-15 years out of this. If the investment is long term, go GTN.

We are thinking of adding another box. (Have G430 in plane.). Wanting WAAS capability. Has anyone recently added a G530w or a GTN unit lately? What price range are we seeing installed? Would say G530w should be cheapest and therefore way to go, but curious if others feel the extra cost is worth it for GTN unit. Worried about losing support / updates from Garmin in future.

The cost of the GTN 750 is definitely worth it IMO. The architecture is so much better than the 530, with the big screen, rubber banding clearance amendments is doable.

If you add a 750/650, will it talk to the 430? I assume you can/will used the 430 as a com2/nav2, but any GPS stuff (GPSS/HSI) will be driven by GTN?

Does the extra screen space really matter much? I had a 430 in the aircraft I trained in. I didn't really feel like I needed any additional screen, but I also wasn't really using it that much. Now I have been using a Redbird with a simulated 530. I guess it's nice to have a little extra screen space, but it doesn't really seem that much more helpful.

Does the extra screen space really matter much? I had a 430 in the aircraft I trained in. I didn't really feel like I needed any additional screen, but I also wasn't really using it that much. Now I have been using a Redbird with a simulated 530. I guess it's nice to have a little extra screen space, but it doesn't really seem that much more helpful.

Yes, because the GTN series is touch screen and allows rubber banding.

Does the extra screen space really matter much?
Yes. So does the so-called HSI display the 530 and 750 have but the 430 and 650 do not. Cost me like $4K extra for the 530 over the 430 when I installed in seven years ago, and I've not regretted that decision for a second. OTOH, every time I get in a plane with a 430, I miss my 530.

Yes. So does the so-called HSI display the 530 and 750 have but the 430 and 650 do not. Cost me like $4K extra for the 530 over the 430 when I installed in seven years ago, and I've not regretted that decision for a second. OTOH, every time I get in a plane with a 430, I miss my 530.

430 OTOH works well with a G-500 to display it, but had the GTN series been available at the time, I would have gone with the 750 because you actually work on the screen. Luckily I have enough spare stack space to accept the 750 when upgrade time comes.

430 OTOH works well with a G-500 to display it,
Sure, but the G500 costs twice as much as the 430, and half again what the 530 costs -- and that's on top of buying the GNS/GTN to drive it. And I didn't see anything about spending that sort of money just to get that glass panel with SVT that so sets your heart aflutter.

Sure, but the G500 costs twice as much as the 430, and half again what the 530 costs -- and that's on top of buying the GNS/GTN to drive it. And I didn't see anything about spending that sort of money just to get that glass panel with SVT that so sets your heart aflutter.

Was just pointing out that the screen size on the GTN series is more important than just for display factors than the GNS.

Was just pointing out that the screen size on the GTN series is more important than just for display factors than the GNS.
Get some sleep and re-read that sentence in the morning -- I have no idea what you were trying to say.

The screen on the GTN can be used for more functions - ie audio panel control, etc, so more screen is helpful. Plus if you're trying to view weather data, you'll want the screen as well.

Get some sleep and re-read that sentence in the morning -- I have no idea what you were trying to say.

The screen on a GTN is not just a display, it is a working touch screen, integral to its 'buttonology'.

The screen on a GTN is not just a display, it is a working touch screen, integral to its 'buttonology'.
Yes, it is. But the buttons are just as big on the 650 as the are on the 750 -- just less space around them or fewer buttons at a time. But I still recommend the 750 because of the additional and larger displays.

I agree that the larger screen for panel mounted displays is better. With smaller size screen you have to keep scrolling or zooming in. However for portables or yoke mounted I think smaller is more practical.

As far as having multiple functions like on the 750 (audio & txpdr) I do not see the advantage unless there is limited panel space.

José

Has anyone done an upgrade lately? Garmin web site lists 750 at $15k. What has everyone experienced as a final installed price (no trade-in)?

If you add a 750/650, will it talk to the 430? I assume you can/will used the 430 as a com2/nav2, but any GPS stuff (GPSS/HSI) will be driven by GTN?

A GTN will cross fill to a GNSxxxW, but not to a GNSxxx. The software in the GTN and GNS need to be at the appropriate levels.

430 OTOH works well with a G-500 to display it, but had the GTN series been available at the time, I would have gone with the 750 because you actually work on the screen. Luckily I have enough spare stack space to accept the 750 when upgrade time comes.

The G-500 interfaces to a GNSxxxW not to a GNSxxx.

Has anyone done an upgrade lately? Garmin web site lists 750 at $15k. What has everyone experienced as a final installed price (no trade-in)?

I think that is a full Garmin 750/650 panel with 2 CDI heads and transponder and audio panel. A single 750 with one CDI would be much less.

I think that is a full Garmin 750/650 panel with 2 CDI heads and transponder and audio panel. A single 750 with one CDI would be much less.

I would expect an installed price for your description of equipment to run well north of $30,000.

Internet advertised prices for a from-scratch GTN750 installation are about $16-18K. GTN650's are about $4-5K less.

Another consideration is that a 530 will have the same operating logic as your 430. The 650/750 will have a different operating logic. IMO, having 2 separate radios with differing operating logic is a setup for problems, especially in emergency or other situations when your focus may not be 100%.

Another consideration is that a 530 will have the same operating logic as your 430. The 650/750 will have a different operating logic. IMO, having 2 separate radios with differing operating logic is a setup for problems, especially in emergency or other situations when your focus may not be 100%.

It is definitely different to operate the GTN vs GNS series, I don't know that I would want them both in the same airplane, also having double the database costs is a biggie! :yikes:
I like them both, I prefer the 750/650 over the 530/430, but if budget is a factor, which I assume it is, I'd go for a used 530W. If you are replacing the 430, I'd probably go with the 750. The difference in the display is huge, the clarity and detail are pretty amazing. Of course, the charts are nice as well.:D

Depends on how old you are. :D At age 49 11/12ths, it really helps to see things in a larger screen, plus it does add a few things like VOR radial/DME. If you have weather, it displays nicely on the 530 and it's great on the 750!:yes:

Are you using the GPS to display something ? Weather data from XM or FIS-B ? A WX500 lightning sensor ?
The larger screen turns the GPS into a poor mans MFD. Have the 530W and like it but if I had to spend money today it would be a 750.

Consider trading your 430 on a SL30, you would save yourself a database subscription and it has this nifty channeling feature. Now if you are one of the people who gets sweaty palms if they have less than 3 GPS in front of them, you may want to keep it.

I just installed a GTN 650 in my arrow. I was concerned as well with future support from Garmin on their GNS line so I opted for new with the GTN. I am very happy with the GTN 650. I didn't go with the 750 because of the real estate that it required and I was a little concerned about a single point of failure if I had integrated the audio panel and transponder to make it fit.

I got a quote for a gtn 650, a second nav/com, transponder, two CDIs, antennas and wiring for right around 30k installed.

GTN 750 installed June 2013 for about $19-20k. Also put in a GPSS unit from STEC to feed GPSS heading inputs to my non-GPSS STEC 55 (no 'X'). That brought the total install to $23k.

I had the same dilemma - 430/530W or go new. I chose new because of future proofing plus I love the touch screen and larger useful area. It is also far faster than the knob-entry method. And yes it works in turbulence - I have done it many times. Requires concentration, but so does setting the altimeter. I would wager that data entry on a GTN is no slower than knobbers in bumps and it is far faster in smooth air.

I did all my IFR training on the GTN 750 and flew all of it in afternoon thermals after work. There was barely any smooth flying. Anyway.

It is expensive so should be considered a capital upgrade. Your A/C value will increase.

GTN 750 installed June 2013 for about $19-20k. Also put in a GPSS unit from STEC to feed GPSS heading inputs to my non-GPSS STEC 55 (no 'X'). That brought the total install to $23k.

I had the same dilemma - 430/530W or go new. I chose new because of future proofing plus I love the touch screen and larger useful area. It is also far faster than the knob-entry method. And yes it works in turbulence - I have done it many times. Requires concentration, but so does setting the altimeter. I would wager that data entry on a GTN is no slower than knobbers in bumps and it is far faster in smooth air.

I did all my IFR training on the GTN 750 and flew all of it in afternoon thermals after work. There was barely any smooth flying. Anyway.

It is expensive so should be considered a capital upgrade. Your A/C value will increase.

No it won't. Ease of utility and access of information will increase, and that is the value that counts for people, not resale.

I got a quote for a gtn 650, a second nav/com, transponder, two CDIs, antennas and wiring for right around 30k installed.
Which is just a bit under what my entire airplane is worth. There's a point at which the latest & greatest avionics doesn't make sense.

Which is just a bit under what my entire airplane is worth. There's a point at which the latest & greatest avionics doesn't make sense.

especially if you plan to sell the plan anytime soon. For some, it's about getting the plane the way they want it knowing that they'll get fleeced at selling time.

Last fall - GTN 650, new CDI/Glideslope, new audio panel, new mic/phone jacks, remove ALL existing wiring and replace with new was right around $20k.

No it won't.
I don't agree with that, it won't increase in value = to $ you spend, maybe not even 25%, but it will increase the value, the plane appraisal programs take it into account.
That said, I believe you should upgrade early, enjoy it, and when it comes to selling, you'll at least find it easier to sell a plane with a modern panel.

If you want the avionics capability and service, and are happy with the aircraft you own, then there is no way that it doesn't make sense. Your airplane is worth the use that you get from it. There is no cheaper way to get the technology than to put it in the plane you own unless the plane you own needs replacing already.

Back