Gotta phone call today..

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
34,740
Display Name
Tom-D
the letter is in the mail.. bummer.:(
 

Not yet but it is going to be close.

Rare aircraft are submitting a bid to repair, I talked to them today, and they say around 30k with out a engine IRAN included.

include the engine inspection at 25-30k we are totaled.
 
Tom, I know several people who have had to do a check ride with the FAA. All have said it was fair and reasonable. No big deal.
 
Man, I wish I could total my aircraft, not get hurt and get the insurance money. :D Sorry to hear about your situation though Tom. Hope it works out.
 
I'd forgotten about the possible checkride. You should do fine. Are they making you find a tailwheel to do it in?

Seems obvious if they're willing retest 700 pilots in Vegas with zero documentation of what they allegedly don't know, after flying safely for two years, there's no way they'd let someone not do checkride who's had an accident.

The Vegas thing wasn't out yet when you crunched though so in hindsight it was a foregone deal, but we didn't know.
 
Not yet but it is going to be close.

Rare aircraft are submitting a bid to repair, I talked to them today, and they say around 30k with out a engine IRAN included.

include the engine inspection at 25-30k we are totaled.

I just got off the phone with my insurance adjuster, he believes the estimated cost of repair is above the totaled cut off point, but will entertain the idea of me submitting an e-mail that I will settle for $30K in damage repair costs and allow me to keep the 24.

WE still wait... other estimates still fourth coming from other repair facilities.
 
Tom, I know several people who have had to do a check ride with the FAA. All have said it was fair and reasonable. No big deal.
More than that, the ones I know have said it was a good learning experience, too. Only problem for Tom, I guess, will be finding another TW airplane in which to take the ride. I know someone who had that dilemma, and chose to do the ride in a 172 that was available so he could keep most privileges, deferring the TW ride until he put the one in which he'd crashed back together.

And don't take the FAA's decision personally, Tom -- it's virtually automatic in these situations.
 
More than that, the ones I know have said it was a good learning experience, too. Only problem for Tom, I guess, will be finding another TW airplane in which to take the ride. I know someone who had that dilemma, and chose to do the ride in a 172 that was available so he could keep most privileges, deferring the TW ride until he put the one in which he'd crashed back together.

And don't take the FAA's decision personally, Tom -- it's virtually automatic in these situations.

I realize that Ron , But I was hoping against hope to avoid it.

I have use of a 170-B and the CFI who owns it to get ready for the ride. that's not the problem for me.

the problem is after I take the ride, I have a decision to make, keep flying or not, as You know I'm pretty much retired and only fly for fun and the cost of the habit is off setting the fun part pretty fast.

next, If I grab the check from the insurance company and allow the fairchild to go away, why would I need the PPL? so why take the ride?

The only thing in that case the ride will extend the time required to the decision making process.

If I do the ride, and repair the 24 and keep it, I'm where I was on the 27th of Sept, out of currency, and low proficiency again, and I do not want to start the cycle again.
 
I just got off the phone with my insurance adjuster, he believes the estimated cost of repair is above the totaled cut off point, but will entertain the idea of me submitting an e-mail that I will settle for $30K in damage repair costs and allow me to keep the 24.

WE still wait... other estimates still fourth coming from other repair facilities.


What calculations are used to determine the "totaled cut off point":dunno:
 
What calculations are used to determine the "totaled cut off point":dunno:

they take an estimate of what they believe they can sell the wreck for, and add the lowest cost to repair estimate.

and see if it is higher or lower than the insured value.

that is where it is right now, at the line.

It will be my call as to if I will except a lower $ value to repair, If not, it will go salvage.
 
If I do the ride, and repair the 24 and keep it, I'm where I was on the 27th of Sept, out of currency, and low proficiency again, and I do not want to start the cycle again.

Wouldn't the ride put you back in currency? Just a thought.
 
they take an estimate of what they believe they can sell the wreck for, and add the lowest cost to repair estimate.

and see if it is higher or lower than the insured value.

that is where it is right now, at the line.

It will be my call as to if I will except a lower $ value to repair, If not, it will go salvage.


Did you have a stated value policy ? or did they use some 'blue book " kinda thingie ? I don't know prices on planes like yours but as nice as it looked I figured it was a 150,000 + ride.
 
Did you have a stated value policy ? or did they use some 'blue book " kinda thingie ? I don't know prices on planes like yours but as nice as it looked I figured it was a 150,000 + ride.

No I have not stated the insured value believe me it was not full coverage. It was based on what we thought was the market value.

No there is no blue book on antique aircraft.

here is the dilemma

Allow it go salvage, hope it doesn't get parted out, the engine is a highly sought after Warner 165 with 4.3 SMOH. If the engine is sold separate, the aircraft isn't worth hauling away. Then turning the hangar back to the port, save the 400 a month. and retire.

Taking the lower repair estimate, and sell the project to some one that will restore it again. there are several for sale now at very low prices.

Repair it, and re-try to selling it as a flyer. It is approaching 13 year old restoration. We know we will never get more than it was insured for. and the economy has a big part in what it will sell for in the future.

It's decision time for both my ticket and the Fairchild.
 
The problem is after I take the ride, I have a decision to make, keep flying or not, as You know I'm pretty much retired and only fly for fun and the cost of the habit is off setting the fun part pretty fast.

next, If I grab the check from the insurance company and allow the fairchild to go away, why would I need the PPL? so why take the ride?

The only thing in that case the ride will extend the time required to the decision making process.

If I do the ride, and repair the 24 and keep it, I'm where I was on the 27th of Sept, out of currency, and low proficiency again, and I do not want to start the cycle again.


Get rid of the 24, screw the ride, get an Eiper MX-II that you can haul around with the motor home.
 
No matter what you do with the airplane, take the ride. Don't have that hanging over you if you do decide to start flying again in 6 months or a year. :mad2: You don't want your last flight as a private pilot to be a crash, do you? :dunno: That would be like on a quarterback's last play he throws and interception for a touchdown that loses the game for his team! :mad2:
 
On the roof or shared trailer, the things don't weigh f-all.
On the roof? that roof is 12' now, max is 14'6".
shared trailer? loading and unloading the jeep becomes a real hassle.
 
On the roof? that roof is 12' now, max is 14'6".
shared trailer? loading and unloading the jeep becomes a real hassle.

How long of a trailer can you have? The wings will fit on the roof with no problem, or you can have a rack over the vehicles on trailer. With a 24' full width trailer you can roll both the Jeep and fuselage on the trailer.
 
Wouldn't the ride put you back in currency? Just a thought.
I'm not sure if a 44709 reexamination, which may not even include flying, or may consist of only one task, is considered a "practical test for a pilot certificate or rating" in the context of 14 CFR 61.56. I'll do some research.
 
Let them give you a check for the Fairchild, and use to to buy something else. Do the ride and keep flying. Seems simple to yours truly.
 
Thought about taking the check and becoming a co-owner in the 170B or a named/authorized renter/leasee etc?
 
How long of a trailer can you have? The wings will fit on the roof with no problem, or you can have a rack over the vehicles on trailer. With a 24' full width trailer you can roll both the Jeep and fuselage on the trailer.

Get real, can you picture a 72 year old man trying to put aircraft wings on a motorhome 12 feet in the air?

The real trailer length is what I would want to tow, and contend with in a RV park, not the legal length. most if the time we tow the jeep 4 down.
 
Thought about taking the check and becoming a co-owner in the 170B or a named/authorized renter/leasee etc?

no, he is based too far away. and uses the -B too much to contend with scheduling.
 
I'm not sure if a 44709 reexamination, which may not even include flying, or may consist of only one task, is considered a "practical test for a pilot certificate or rating" in the context of 14 CFR 61.56. I'll do some research.

this letter says
"The re-examination will consist of appropriate private pilot airplane practical test standards tasks with emphasis on area of operations IV task B,and L "

it rambles on about how to take the test in another FSDO but that is of no interest here.

So it looks like I could be required to do a complete PPL practical, but talking to the examiner he says we'll do a take offs and landings and se how well you do.

I have 10 days to reply to the number given and set up the re-test, or arrange something as the letter addresses.
 
this letter says
"The re-examination will consist of appropriate private pilot airplane practical test standards tasks with emphasis on area of operations IV task B,and L "

it rambles on about how to take the test in another FSDO but that is of no interest here.

So it looks like I could be required to do a complete PPL practical, but talking to the examiner he says we'll do a take offs and landings and se how well you do.
What I expected. Of course, you can ask the inspector to sign off a flight review, too, but that might require additional work. Better, I think, to just do what they want and get a more comprehensive flight review with a CFI later.
 
What I expected. Of course, you can ask the inspector to sign off a flight review, too, but that might require additional work. Better, I think, to just do what they want and get a more comprehensive flight review with a CFI later.

We waited to see, now we know.

It appears to be a standard form letter from a computer with the name added as required.

I'm not due for a BFR until next July.

I'll do the minimum to get the feds to go away, then make more decisions as to what to do.
 
Tom,

Does the letter say you HAVE to use a tailwheel airplane?
The letter I signed for today does not, because it was not made out for me, I was called and told to ignore it and they have another letter in the main that I should get Friday/monday..

that one will say conventional gear aircraft.
 
Get real, can you picture a 72 year old man trying to put aircraft wings on a motorhome 12 feet in the air?

The real trailer length is what I would want to tow, and contend with in a RV park, not the legal length. most if the time we tow the jeep 4 down.

Get a M/C or CanAm Spyder to go on a trailer with a fold wing model that still fits SP rules, my choice would be on floats or phibs, then do the 709 ride and do an LSA seaplane; 72 year old men who know how to make machines work operate Kitfox, Avid and Highlander aircraft. You take that pair on trips where you'd rather fly or have boat access than fourwheel....

Don't know where eles you have to go but square up the 709 ride and retire into the rental reserve. If you question your ability, it's typically best to keep one's own counsel. If it ever came down to it you know that there are 100s of ramp queens out there you can just walk up in the middle of the night, fill the tires and oil, put a couple cans of fresh fuel in it and be gone if needed.
 
Back
Top