Got to take a short flight in a gyro this past weekend

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
Got to take a ride in one of these last weekend:
calidus1.jpg

Just a short flight, but I did get to fly for a bit, and the pilot demonstrated how gyroplanes don't really stall.. Just fly along at like 15mph and sink.

Was a really cool experience. I'd love to get some more time in one. Apparently these are really popular in Europe, but there are few (none?) certified in the us, they have to be experimental (owner built). Would be really cool to get a 3 or 4 place one.

Anyone on here have gyro experience?

That looks like a pretty slick rig! No experience here, but I've been tempted to get an rc version from time to time.

I went for a short flight in one (the side-by-side Cavalon model) at Sun N Fun this past year and it was indeed a blast. Completely different flying, yet very similar to fixed-wing (how's that for an oxymoron?)

Great fun. Decently short takeoffs, almost vertical landings.

The "zero airspeed then 180 degree pivot turn" (kind of the gyroplane version of a wingover, I suppose) caught me by surprise the first time and I wasn't comfortable with it. So I asked him to do it again. Fun!

Did vibrate a little more than I expected, though.

The AutoGyro Calidus (the picture above) can now be ordered "Type Certified" built to order in Germany and delivered ready to fly.

I took my first lesson a couple of weeks ago, plan on finishing up after the first of the year. Really fun to fly and the open cockpit was a cool experience. Think it'll be fun to have for short little hops around and to use a plane for the longer x/c's. The first lesson was a basic overview of the flight controls and we practiced vertical descents and turns, it's very impressive what they're capable of. I noticed myself getting nervous when the airspeed dropped so low just being used to an airplane and its stall characteristics. The instructor told me he's flown his from Dallas, to LA and back up to New York and flew it to OshKosh this year.

That's on my list,will probably look for a flight at LSA Sebring.

I have a couple of friends who fly gyros. They're pretty cool and capable of some insane performance, but they scare me a little... it's not at all difficult to put it into a flight condition from which recovery is impossible (push the stick forward hard and slow the rotor too much). It's easy to say "don't do that", but it's very difficult (not impossible, I admit, but very difficult for most airplanes) to put an airplane in an unrecoverable situation, as long as you have enough altitude.

I flew in one a couple weeks ago. Very interesting and amazed how sharp of a turn they could make. Just a little slow climbing and crusing for me.

POA member Vance Breese is a very experienced Gyro CFI, who (I believe) can sell you a Gyro and teach you to fly it, if you wish.

I've been flying gyros since 1986. 1985 if you count the unpowered one we used to tow in a field behind a station wagon !

Got to take a ride in one of these last weekend.

Was a really cool experience. I'd love to get some more time in one. Apparently these are really popular in Europe, but there are few (none?) certified in the us, they have to be experimental (owner built). Would be really cool to get a 3 or 4 place one.

Anyone on here have gyro experience?

Where did you do you flight? I took some training with Jim Logan in his RAF 2000 out on Long Island a number of years ago. It was one of my favorite aviation experiences, second only to getting my seaplane rating. Gyro's are really cool aircraft with a fascinating history.

There are a few certified in the US. Notably the McCulloch J2 and the Air & Space 18A. They're few and far between, but there are a few of each model flying. I've always loved the look of the J2. And the 18A has jump take-off capability.

As for larger ones, Groen Brothers was working on the Hawk 4, but I think that effort pretty much died out.

Back