Got my ticket wet (almost literally).

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
So, as I wrote on the other thread, I passed my IR checkride a couple of days ago, and did my first flight in the system yesterday. Today was the day to really get the ticket wet. Weather was great, just above minimums with occasional LIFR. Decided to go grab brunch in Athens, GA. So filed KPDK-KAHN. I filed KPDK ATL MEGGN DCT (I wanted to fly overhead ATL...) Got simply radar vectors then direct from clearance though :(

Flight there was fine. Takeoff, in the clouds at around 500ft AGL and stayed in clouds the whole flight. AHN was using RWY 9 with only RNAV approaches (my 150 is /G but not approach capable), so asked and got ILS 27 circle to land 9. Got vectored to fly direct AHN VORTAC then heading 060 outbound, and after that vectors to final for 27. Circling mins are 1260ft (447ft AGL) and I broke out right at 1300. Circling maneuvers are fun! Flying right at the base of clouds at under 500ft AGL is cool. I don't think I would do it in anything faster than my 150 though...

Brunch at Athens was fun (and we got lucky, no wait to get in Last Resort. Locals know...), so after that went back to the airport to plan and file.

When I filed, the winds were favoring 21's in PDK, so filed KAHN GOGBE AABEE DCT. AABEE is the IAF for ILS 21L so thought it would be close to what I would fly.

Weather deteriorated rapidly and was +TSRA with red everywhere, so ended up watching Ottawa send Boston home in the NHL playoffs. Pretty much perfectly after the game ended, all the red stuff was west from AHN, so took off.
Clearance gave Radar Vectors V235 LOGEN DCT, I took off from 02 and pretty much immediately after radar contact, got direct JUDYY and told to expect VOR/DME-D at KPDK with circle to land 3R. Weather was OVC007 and the mins for that approach are 602ft AGL, so another approach right to mins.
After getting the approach clearance, a plane that just landed reported that the OVC is probably too low for the VOR approach, so I was pretty much set up to fail here.
Something I didn't know before - at 1700ft I got a "low altitude alert, check your altitude immediately" from ATC! Double-triple check everything and everything looked good, and I broke out from clouds right at 1600-1650ft, with some clouds around hanging even lower, but I had the field in sight and I was good to go.
I gave a PIREP about the base being right at mins with some clouds around being even lower, and they said they are just switching to the ILS 21L. Thanks...

I asked about the "low altitude alert", and they said if your V/S is above something and you are within x ft of the min altitude, they give it if you are on a non-precision approach. They also said 99% of them are obsolete. Good to know though. Gave a bit of a "whhaaaat?" moment, didn't know that before.

All in all, a GREAT day of flying. And definitely got my ticket wet!

Hah! I was going to ask if you did the VOR/DME-D into PDK. That's a fun approach and Ive had to go missed on it. Twice. Both times in the circle. Great (or terrible) memories of flying that one.

lol @ trying to vectors over ATL from PDK to AHN. I guess it was worth a shot. I know from personal experience that I've only ever gotten vectors over ATL in a PC-12 and a couple of jets and those were because the destinations were all in southern GA or FL. Never in a single-engine piston. Maybe it happens... but, it hasnt happened to me.

Ive had that alert on multiple occasions when shooting the VOR approach with the autopilot on and everything centered. Dont be surprised if you get it again the next time into PDK. No biggie.

Glad to hear you had a good flight. Ive been at home all day wondering which crazies were out flying.

Last edited:
Nice flight and great pictures..!!!!

I thought this was a thread about forgetting your wallet and throwing your pants in the washer. I have done that at least a dozen times....

The times it happened to me, I read my altitude and Kohlsman setting, said what leg I was on and the minimum for that segment so they had something to confirm.

Is your ias working ok? Looks like you are level flight no flaps, but it seems pretty low.

Nice report.

Hah! I was going to ask if you did the VOR/DME-D into PDK. That's a fun approach and Ive had to go missed on it. Twice. Both times in the circle. Great (or terrible) memories of flying that one.

lol @ trying to vectors over ATL from PDK to AHN. I guess it was worth a shot. I know from personal experience that I've only ever gotten vectors of ATL in a PC-12 and a couple of jets and those were because the destinations were all in southern GA or FL. Never in a single-engine piston. Maybe it happens... but, it hasnt happened to me.

Ive had that alert on multiple occasions when shooting the VOR approach with the autopilot on and everything centered. Dont be surprised if you get it again the next time into PDK. No biggie.

Glad to hesr you had a good flight. Ive been at home all day wondering which crazies were out flying.

Haha, I'm going to file over ATL every time until I get it - I want to do it just to compensate for every "remain clear of class B airspace" I've got! Next time I'll try to file KPDK-ATL-KFFC and see how they route me :)

I was a bit north (by one dot) of the final approach course when I hit mins, wind shifted more than I thought (wind was VRB03G17...), and I got pushed a bit north. It was lucky for me, because after I broke out, I actually went even further north to remain clear of the clouds. I don't think I would've been clear had I had my VOR perfectly centered.
The altitude alert was something I didn't know to expect but it's the stuff that you learn when using the rating.
Today was actually a pretty nice day to fly - hardly any turbulence, and plane got a free wash!

The times it happened to me, I read my altitude and Kohlsman setting, said what leg I was on and the minimum for that segment so they had something to confirm.

Is your ias working ok? Looks like you are level flight no flaps, but it seems pretty low.

Nice report.

IAS works fine, I slowed down to well below VFE before taking out flaps to make sure I don't balloon back to the clouds - I was right at the cloud base there.

Wow. Some great experience after just getting your rating. Good job.

IAS works fine, I slowed down to well below VFE before taking out flaps to make sure I don't balloon back to the clouds - I was right at the cloud base there.
Please don't take photos during a CTL. It's dangerous enough without the photos. Think of all the things that can go wrong in that few seconds of inattention.

IMC flight must be respected, as many of your margins are substantially smaller than VFR.

Please don't take photos during a CTL. It's dangerous enough without the photos. Think of all the things that can go wrong in that few seconds of inattention.

IMC flight must be respected, as many of your margins are substantially smaller than VFR.

Pics were taken by my wife, I wouldn't touch my camera then!

Must be young and invincible. I would not have chosen yesterday as a day to take my wife on a lunch flight, rating or not.

Visibility looked pretty good. Now go and try any approach with 1 mile visibility...a lot different. I have always felt the visibility was more critical than the height of the clouds, as long as you had above minimum height AGL bases.

A) Agreed, no photos by pilot in or around IMC. I usually either ask the pax to take pictures or I snap a few only if George is keeping my level and steady.

B) Congrats on getting your ticket wet, must have felt a little weird on your own, without a CFII, am I right? :)

C) I was comfortable down to mins right after I got my instrument ticket, provided that the forecast was for lifting deck (and great vis). I wouldn't come in for an approach at night when the forecast shows close to mins because I might be in for a surprise. And even with ILS nextdoor, I would be questioning my trip even before starting it. But everyone has different personal minima and courage levels. We're not all the same.

D) I've gotten "low altitude alert" twice in the past and inquired with our tower controllers (inside their warm cab) and was told that it's just an automated projection system that calculates your projected path at current altitude and RoD and if your calculated little airplane comes up short of the rwy, the alert sounds and they let you know. It happens usually only on non-precision approaches but I could not get a 100% answer since we don't have ILS at our home field. I can ask my TRACON guy who has ILS at their place.

Must be young and invincible. I would not have chosen yesterday as a day to take my wife on a lunch flight, rating or not.

It wasn't a bad day to fly at all. Visibility was fine and there was plenty of MVFR within a 15 minute flight. Zero turbulence and nice low clouds.

Visibility looked pretty good. Now go and try any approach with 1 mile visibility...a lot different. I have always felt the visibility was more critical than the height of the clouds, as long as you had above minimum height AGL bases.

Yep I think so too - Low clouds aren't bad, I haven't found poor visibility yet, but will keep looking to find some :)

Got the low altitude alert thing last year while IMC on an approach. Certainly freaks you out when IMC but just checked everything and saw I was on target and continued... confirmed afterwards that's it's from a high decent rate (not a nose dive but if you come in steeper than 3 degrees or so (totally normal on a non-precision approach) the radar computer freaks out).

How did I know you'd go out flying?
Glad you're using that rating right away. That's the way to do it. Good work and nice write up.

How did I know you'd go out flying?
Glad you're using that rating right away. That's the way to do it. Good work and nice write up.

It's just the top quality instruction I've received! :)
Looks like VMC tomorrow. I think I'll stay home :(

Last edited:
lol @ trying to vectors over ATL from PDK to AHN. I guess it was worth a shot. I know from personal experience that I've only ever gotten vectors over ATL in a PC-12 and a couple of jets and those were because the destinations were all in southern GA or FL. Never in a single-engine piston. Maybe it happens... but, it hasnt happened to me.

8)

20170425_140346 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/125913631@N03/, on Flickr

Haha! Glad to see they approved your request!

Filed KPDK-KFFC with ATL DCT as route, when I got "as filed" I thought score, this might work out well. Ended up being vectored all the way but got the perfect vantage point. Cool flight!
(now, don't ask me how much longer that flight took flying IFR instead of just flying under B, but that wasn't the point :) )

Filed KPDK-KFFC with ATL DCT as route, when I got "as filed" I thought score, this might work out well. Ended up being vectored all the way but got the perfect vantage point. Cool flight!
(now, don't ask me how much longer that flight took flying IFR instead of just flying under B, but that wasn't the point :) )
How high were you? We were either 5,000 or 6,000 MSL.

Seems you get around the country in that airplane. I'm a bit jealous. I think a 150 would be a lot of fun to fly around everywhere.

How high were you? We were either 5,000 or 6,000 MSL.

Seems you get around the country in that airplane. I'm a bit jealous. I think a 150 would be a lot of fun to fly around everywhere.

We were at 5k.
Unfortunately this was my last flight in my 150. Meeting the new owner tomorrow morning at her bank to do the paperwork. It was an amazing plane. I bought it from Tucson, AZ. Flew it to San Francisco where I had it for a few months and flew up and down California in it. Then flew it cross country to Atlanta, and did a few longer cross countries from PDK in it. I flew it for about 350 hours in 6 months.
I will miss that plane.

We were at 5k.
Unfortunately this was my last flight in my 150. Meeting the new owner tomorrow morning at her bank to do the paperwork. It was an amazing plane. I bought it from Tucson, AZ. Flew it to San Francisco where I had it for a few months and flew up and down California in it. Then flew it cross country to Atlanta, and did a few longer cross countries from PDK in it. I flew it for about 350 hours in 6 months.
I will miss that plane.

Getting something to replace it?

We were at 5k.
I will miss that plane.
That's a lot of flying for sure. Funny enough, I was looking at your sale thread just a few minutes ago. Glad to see you have a buyer.

As @BrianNC asked, what's the 4-place you're moving into?

Nice telephoto lens! LOL! :)

Back