Got my Shirttail cut today.

brian109

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I started this morning at DKX at about 08:30. Met with my CFI and we did some pattern work and I finally got the the kinks out. I had the day off so I hung around did some work around the hangar and just talked aviation.

About 3:00 my Instructor asked me if I wanted to go up again. He had a cancellation on a cross country flight due to weather so of course I wanted to go up again. Went up did some more pattern work and landed then he says "Whelp I cant do anymore good in the plane let me out". It didn't dawn on me what was happening till he said "If you crash, just throw my headset out the window first its expensive."

As I took off I remember thinking how odd it was not to have him over in the right seat. And how much lighter the aircraft was. I wished I could say I had four perfect touch and goes but that didnt happen. I got the plane down first two were pretty last two were a bit bumpy. Think I am still in shock that I soloed the aircraft. But my shirttail is cut and I will keep that damn shirt forever. :D

Last edited:
Congrats! I really enjoyed flying into DKX earlier in the year. It's a fun little airport on the river! Congrats on the solo!

Congrats! Just did my solo on Sunday, so I'm right there with you. :)

glad to see some places still cut.
I never thought to keep mine. Still have the photo though. Hell maybe I'll scan it.

Woo-hoo!

My shirt tail is still hanging on the wall of my hangar, 21 years later, right next to my wife's. (We sent our son's to him, after he bought a house...)

You will NEVER forget this day. Savor it!

Nice. I soloed at a field about 10 miles away from where the plane/school was based. My CFI didn't mention his headset, but did ask me not to break the plane since we needed it to get home. :)

You'll never forget this day.

One of the most rewarding things I ever did as a CFI was taking a student that was as pliable as a bunch of mud and form him or her into a pilot. Congratulations!

Congrats!

I remember thinking as I climbed out on my first solo, "If I never fly again, I can at least say that I flew an airplane all by myself."

I happened to be wearing just about my favorite shirt that day (with a plain white T-shirt underneath), so I argued with the CFI. He wanted to cut my good shirt, but I preferred to cut the cheap white T-shirt. I won the argument, of course.

Mine still cuts. They even have a "rule" that you are allowed to reclaim in once you get your PPL. Despite the fact I got my ticket I like it hanging in the FBO. I actually bought a cheap white t-shirt for the day. He had given me a big hint it was coming.

Try and get your instructor to cut two tails. One for you, one for your FBO. I started doing this and it is great for moral. My old school had a room covered in photos and shirt tails.

About the only thing I remember of my first solo was looking in the back to see if anyone was there....

....and forgetting to pick up my instructor...

About the only thing I remember of my first solo was looking in the back to see if anyone was there....

....and forgetting to pick up my instructor...

Same here...

My instructor got out at the end of the runway in Leesburg Fla,, Told me to make 3 T&G's... As I taxied away, I looked over at the EMPTY seat where he usually sat and said to my self... " DON'T screw up", there ain't nobody their so save your ass on their flight...:yikes::eek::hairraise:.

Probably three of my best T&G's up to that date...:):);)

I will NEVER forget that day...

I did my first solo at KVQQ, a controlled airfield in Florida. I cleared myself to land... :D:rolleyes: Other than rhat , it went very well and I did three very nice landings - the controller even gave me compliments for my landings... :redface::redface:

Back