Got a tiny amount of actual IMC

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
With an instructor (not instrument rated).

Went up for some air work and inland landings, but the departure airport (Oakland) had marine layer at 900.

Expected SALAD TWO departure. Got vectors on a completely different heading. Hand flew it through about 1000 feet of smooth-as-glass clouds. Virtually no delay in getting the clearance -- reported "holding for IFR clearance at 28R" after run-up, and got the clearance right away.

Made sure to keep my head down until I saw some shadows. Kept it within 5 deg of assigned heading and blue side up (pretty close to level) all the way through the clouds, kept going until clear of Class B at 4000, then canceled IFR and did the air work.

It was nerve-wracking, but smooth and easy. I'm sure it would have been harder with some wind or turbulence. The hard part was getting the clearance right and remembering to set up the panel appropriately (heading bug on the vector, altitude bug on assigned altitude, flight plan to assigned route.

Everyone should try this. With an instructor of course.

Glad you enjoyed it. Always fun when you know your going to break out,after going through a layer.

I absolutely love flying in the clouds.. When i was training for my IR, we did a bunch of x/c's in the socal area.. One of my favorites was MYF ->SNA to pick up my first wife -> SMO for dinner. On the way back, the marine layer moved in, departed IFR out of SMO, shot the ILS into SNA, and then the RNAV into MYF

Next time, you really should use and instructor who's instrument rated!

:)

Cloud flying is great! I almost like it better than being VFR. The best is breaking out on top, best sight in the world! Go get that IR!

Sometimes just chugging along in the clouds is nice, too. I took off into clouds at FXE, multiple layers to 9000', and flew out the top around Orlando.

Then there was my 2-hour flight to BNA, at 4000' one way in the morning and back at 5000 since a spring cold front had freezing levels starting at 6000'. The flying is nice, and I don't miss not having scenery. But pax get bored after an hour of gray nothingness.

It gets to be a lot of fun. You may prefer it after a while too because there is so much more information on the instruments. Remember in The Matrtix when the guy was looking at the screen with l the green letters running down it and he said somethingg like "i see a beautiful woman in a red dress"?

Back