Got a Part 135 Flyin' Job!

Much like Farm Subsidies that no one seems to get too upset over. That and Foriegn Aid.

Foreign aid is a rounding error in the US budget, farm welfare, defense welfare and energy welfare are big ticket items. Essential air service is a small number, I can see the justification for subsidizing it in a few isolated communities in Alaska or the rural west. If the federal goverment already built a US highway or interstate to your doorstep, driving 51 miles to the next air-carrier airport is not a hardship that justifies the expenditure of goverment money for subsidized flights.

Foreign aid is a rounding error in the US budget, farm welfare, defense welfare and energy welfare are big ticket items. Essential air service is a small number, I can see the justification for subsidizing it in a few isolated communities in Alaska or the rural west. If the federal goverment already built a US highway or interstate to your doorstep, driving 51 miles to the next air-carrier airport is not a hardship that justifies the expenditure of goverment money for subsidized flights.

Well I'm glad we agree that those are all wastes of money.

Quick update for ya'll:

I was a bit delayed in training due to some bad weather that just had to show up the only time the instructor was available. So after flight training being pushed back a week, I then had to wait another week for the examiner to be available again. :mad: But after all the delays, finally got the checkride completed on the 15th.

Since then I've flown 40 hours, and am scheduled for 80 in March (Only to go up, I'm told). I have to say, the CE208B is an awesomely capable plane. We can slow it down to 80kts or keep it up at 175kts (Vne/mo) over the numbers to stay with the fast-movers, and land in a couple thousand feet, regardless. The other day going into KORD, I was asked to slow 40kts for spacing with the Dreamliner I was following. :D

Congrats! Are you guys flying single seat? Just wondering if your flights are all solo now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats! Are you guys flying single seat? Just wondering if your flights are all solo now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His original post talks about sitting right seat, and IIRC, Air Choice One operates 2 crew.

Yeah, as KSCessnaDriver said, I am the FO in the right seat. We do charters and the JBR route single-pilot (CA only, obviously), but recently, they've been putting us on the JBR route to help build time and experience quicker.

We do charters and the JBR route single-pilot (CA only, obviously), but recently, they've been putting us on the JBR route to help build time and experience quicker.

Out of curiosity, how are you doing that legally? The route apparently does not require the SIC according to the feds, or there would be one on there. And the airplane certainly doesn't need one. Is there something in your OpSpecs that allow for the company to assign an SIC at their option?

Out of curiosity, how are you doing that legally? The route apparently does not require the SIC according to the feds, or there would be one on there. And the airplane certainly doesn't need one. Is there something in your OpSpecs that allow for the company to assign an SIC at their option?
Yeah. I don't know the legal specifics, but we're authorized by the FAA to operate two-pilot crews in the Caravan and Navajo. And apparently a few of the EAS route contracts require two-pilot crews. :dunno: And I don't know if it's a universal rule or specific to the operations, but there are other restrictions for single-pilot ops such as a working AP.

Probably the same opspec that allows for commercial first officers to log time (aka PFT, like EagleJet)

Update: A few days ago I learned how to count to 4 by completing my checkride and IOE for the upgrade to captain. Still absolutely loving it and look forward to at least the next year with Air Choice One, just from a slightly different viewpoint.

Congrats on the upgrade. I have been flying left side of the 208 since August and its awesome.

Congrats! Just curious, are you looking to go into the airlines? Have you built up your multi time or you just have SEL time?

Congrats! Just curious, are you looking to go into the airlines? Have you built up your multi time or you just have SEL time?
It is a scheduled airline gig now, but I'm still open to other options. We're working on expanding and looking into some Jetstreams and Q400s, so that may be an easy step-up in a year or two.

Congrats, now you have someone to fetch you some coffee :)
Lol. We're still trying to fit a Keurig up front...

It is a scheduled airline gig now, but I'm still open to other options. We're working on expanding and looking into some Jetstreams and Q400s, so that may be an easy step-up in a year or two.

Lol. We're still trying to fit a Keurig up front...

The Jetstream is not an easy step up. The Jetstream is probably the squirreliest and complex to operate plane in airline service and has no autopilot. It was built to bring aboard carriers though, so it's tough.

The Jetstream is not an easy step up. The Jetstream is probably the squirreliest and complex to operate plane in airline service and has no autopilot. It was built to bring aboard carriers though, so it's tough.
Hmm, interesting... I don't know a lick about 'em, just that one or two of our long-timers used to fly them, so it wouldn't be as difficult to get a 121 cert. with them since we'd have some prior experience. Either way, I don't have a preference or a say in it, so I'm just gonna focus on the 'Van for now and not worry about it...

Yup..... But there's NOTHING better to be flying if you're planning on doing some pre employment sim rides.....

If it doesn't kill you first! :yikes:

Flying that thing IFR was like trying to read a newspaper while standing on a bowling ball.

Oh, and congrats OP!

Nothing like flying with your favorite Captain ALL the time!

Last edited:
Back