Got a Part 135 Flyin' Job!

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
Looks like I'm skipping the usual stint of CFI time-building and going to the right-seat of the C208B flying for Air Choice One. I absolutely love working with the awesome folks at Air Associates, but I just need to get out from behind the desk and get in the air more.

Any insight and words of wisdom from those experienced with the regionals or the C208B would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats - turbine time

Right seat in a Caravan? How do you log that?

Probably the 135 opspecs require two pilots, so Id bet he logs it as SIC. Same as he'd log any other single-pilot airplane when "the regulations under which the flight is conducted.... require two pilots".

Congrats and if you fly out of KJBR give me a holler!

Justin

Congratulations, in a minute or two someone will be along here to berate you for wanting to be a professional pilot. It's been my observation that the majority of those that do that are intensely jealous and or have already ****ed away their life in a cube farm. Oh they've got a pile of money to justify it but then again too so do high dollar prostitutes !

Thanks everybody! Even before this, the C208B has been top on my list of favorite airplanes, so it's just icing on the cake that I don't have to go through the boring time-building in a CJ... :)

Probably the 135 opspecs require two pilots, so Id bet he logs it as SIC. Same as he'd log any other single-pilot airplane when "the regulations under which the flight is conducted.... require two pilots".
As far as I understand, yup, that's it...

Congrats and if you fly out of KJBR give me a holler!
Will do! Although I don't know their specifics yet, I'm not sure they're ever stopped there for much longer than it takes to switch switch the pax...? Any insight into it from your perspective would be great!

With a pen
Same way I stay current... ;)

Congratulations, in a minute or two someone will be along here to berate you for wanting to be a professional pilot. It's been my observation that the majority of those that do that are intensely jealous and or have already ****ed away their life in a cube farm. Oh they've got a pile of money to justify it but then again too so do high dollar prostitutes !
lol, I've met a few like that... :rolleyes:

Congratulations, this opens up the exciting world of flying around little boxes at night :D

Cool. Good for you you. I really enjoy flying the Caravan. Its just such a capable a/c for what it its.

Congrats, Jim...when it comes to a dream...chase it, man, chase it.

Last edited:
What were the minimums for a Part135 SIC C208 job if you don't mind disclosing that info? I am very jealous of your job OP.

A couple of tips from someone who's got the T shirt:

I can't think of a single friend flying Part 121 who got a violation. I have several friends that got violations flying 135. Protect your certificate. 135 is the soft underbelly of professional aviation. Many cut corners. I flew for one great one (Ameriflight) and two really poor choices. The two commuters I worked for were 135, but today, they are all 121. The business is low margin and cut throat. It's common for one operation to rat out its competitor.

The FAA inspectors don't care and will turn on you on a dime. Generally, it's easier to violate a pilot than to take enforcement action against the company. Often, violating the pilots is used to get them to turn on the company.

The best protection comes from one thing. Know the regulations and your operation specifications cold. Don't expect your company to spoon feed you or to point out where they may be cutting a corner. Know the corners of both of those too. Often, I found it easier to explain to my bosses how we could operate legally instead of explaining why I couldn't go.

Grow a set, or at least find yours. Bad companies will paint you into a corner. Sometimes you just have to say no. Be firm and be ready to walk. It's tough to sit in the CP office and see a stack of resumes and tell them no. That means that you have to keep your professional contacts up to date and your finances in check.

Treat all of your follow employees with respect and curtesy. You never know where your next job is coming from. It's a small world and reputations can be made or lost. It's common to be someone's captain today and tomorrow, he's your co-pilot. This goes for other, non pilot employees. You never know who's who and sometimes it's a comment from a non pilot employee that can make the difference.

Leave with dignity. First, everyone in the business knows that good and bad operators out there. No need to explain. Think about what you're posting on social media too. Give notice and don't burn bridges, no matter how bad the company. Be a class act. That will follow you.

Last thing: Have fun! Some of the best flying and the best flying stories came from my days in the trenches. Military pilots will never understand what you have been through.

Congrats on the new job. I find new jobs always to be a good thing even if for only a short time, but good lord.. Johns post makes it sound like you're about to jump into a lions den.. heh

Is it that bad? What exactly is a part 135 job? (as someone who has no interest in flying professionally I am completely oblivious to this stuff..)

Congratulations, this opens up the exciting world of flying around little boxes at night :D
Lol. As much fun as that would be, I'll have it full of meat-bags during the day...

What were the minimums for a Part135 SIC C208 job if you don't mind disclosing that info? I am very jealous of your job OP.
Judging by what I have and what I've heard from people, SIC requirement is commercial cert with instrument rating.

I can't think of a single friend flying Part 121 who got a violation. I have several friends that got violations flying 135. Protect your certificate. 135 is the soft underbelly of professional aviation. Many cut corners. I flew for one great one (Ameriflight) and two really poor choices. The two commuters I worked for were 135, but today, they are all 121. The business is low margin and cut throat. It's common for one operation to rat out its competitor.

The FAA inspectors don't care and will turn on you on a dime. Generally, it's easier to violate a pilot than to take enforcement action against the company. Often, violating the pilots is used to get them to turn on the company.

The best protection comes from one thing. Know the regulations and your operation specifications cold. Don't expect your company to spoon feed you or to point out where they may be cutting a corner. Know the corners of both of those too. Often, I found it easier to explain to my bosses how we could operate legally instead of explaining why I couldn't go.

Grow a set, or at least find yours. Bad companies will paint you into a corner. Sometimes you just have to say no. Be firm and be ready to walk. It's tough to sit in the CP office and see a stack of resumes and tell them no. That means that you have to keep your professional contacts up to date and your finances in check.

Treat all of your follow employees with respect and curtesy. You never know where your next job is coming from. It's a small world and reputations can be made or lost. It's common to be someone's captain today and tomorrow, he's your co-pilot. This goes for other, non pilot employees. You never know who's who and sometimes it's a comment from a non pilot employee that can make the difference.

Leave with dignity. First, everyone in the business knows that good and bad operators out there. No need to explain. Think about what you're posting on social media too. Give notice and don't burn bridges, no matter how bad the company. Be a class act. That will follow you.

Last thing: Have fun! Some of the best flying and the best flying stories came from my days in the trenches. Military pilots will never understand what you have been through.
Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely be sure to get really solid on my FAR knowledge. Definitely with you on leaving without burning bridges; I was actually offered to start on Dec. 9th, but I told them no way I would just jump ship from Air Associates.

Congrats on the new job. I find new jobs always to be a good thing even if for only a short time, but good lord.. Johns post makes it sound like you're about to jump into a lions den.. heh

Is it that bad? What exactly is a part 135 job? (as someone who has no interest in flying professionally I am completely oblivious to this stuff..)
135 is commuter and on-demand operations.

Last edited:

:yeahthat:

Based on my experience the SIC minimums mainly depend on the company, the most common thought that you will find it 500 hours total time. Companies may wave that requirement if your close to the 500 and if they like you. PIC minimums per FAA are 1200 total hours minimum. If you want to fly on a twin in addition to the above they will want at least 100hrs multi. If you want a jet the insurance will want 2500 hours total time and I think around 500 hours multi.

Based on my experience the SIC minimums mainly depend on the company, the most common thought that you will find it 500 hours total time. Companies may wave that requirement if your close to the 500 and if they like you. PIC minimums per FAA are 1200 total hours minimum. If you want to fly on a twin in addition to the above they will want at least 100hrs multi. If you want a jet the insurance will want 2500 hours total time and I think around 500 hours multi.

Thanks. I would love an opportunity to get some "real" flight experience doing something like this. The only problem is, that in Arizona everyone is a pilot. So I don't really stand out on a application locally. I was trying to avoid the CFI route for gaining experience but I am prepping for the checkride now. I'm always looking at job boards though.

Will do! Although I don't know their specifics yet, I'm not sure they're ever stopped there for much longer than it takes to switch switch the pax...? Any insight into it from your perspective would be great!

They fly between KJBR and StL twice a day. I think the flight that lands around 8pm or so spends the night here. Prices are great and they are usually full. I hear that they plan to upgrade from the 208 to something larger.

Thanks. I would love an opportunity to get some "real" flight experience doing something like this. The only problem is, that in Arizona everyone is a pilot. So I don't really stand out on a application locally. I was trying to avoid the CFI route for gaining experience but I am prepping for the checkride now. I'm always looking at job boards though.

Everyone is a pilot? I lived there for a few years, haven't noticed.

The problem you will face however is the fact that there aren't too many charter companies in the area, especially the once with twins and turboprops. You might want to try looking at the tour guys around grand canyon and sedona, those guys will probably be needing pilots closer to the summer.

Looks like I'm skipping the usual stint of CFI time-building and going to the right-seat of the C208B flying for Air Choice One. I absolutely love working with the awesome folks at Air Associates, but I just need to get out from behind the desk and get in the air more.

Any insight and words of wisdom from those experienced with the regionals or the C208B would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations!

Hi,

I was wondering how you like flying for air choice one. I was considering going to them and flying SIC, however I've heard a lot of bad reviews on other blogs. Do you have any insight? I know you are new but any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering how you like flying for air choice one. I was considering going to them and flying SIC, however I've heard a lot of bad reviews on other blogs. Do you have any insight? I know you are new but any advice would be great.

Thanks!
I havn't actually flown with them yet; Just finished ground, do flight training next week, and start flying the line on the 11th. But talking with people around the office and my instructor, it's a blast.

:thumbsup:

Wow! Excellent post!! A lot of useful, wise and obviously well thought out information...and I'm sure hard won experience.

I just looked at their site. Out of curiosity, how do these companies make money? at 8 passengers per plane, even a full plane brings in only $400 in revenue for a 1:20hr flight.

Congrats! and good luck and keep your nose clean... if your flying out of STL/Lambert PM me when your ready to apply to G7, we also have a base there.

I just looked at their site. Out of curiosity, how do these companies make money? at 8 passengers per plane, even a full plane brings in only $400 in revenue for a 1:20hr flight.

Goverment cheese.

Back