Got a new camera

Pretty cool. I love seeing the landing gear retract/extend. What kind of camera did you get?

Nice video. How'd you mount the cameras?

Does your nose strut need a shot of nitrogen?

Nice video. How'd you mount the cameras?

RAM suction mount.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001447JYG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-RAM-B-238-2-43-Diamond/dp/B002KO5XVU/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_y

Does your nose strut need a shot of nitrogen?

It just might, I'll check it out. I'm more concerned about the left main. If you notice it looks like it stops spininning a lot quicker than the nose does.

Last edited:
Cool video! I've been thinking about getting Contour Roam as well. Maybe I should pull the trigger. Oh and excellent landing. :thumbsup:

That was really cool! And I really love going to Ocracoke too. Now I am daydreaming about duplicating your trip for my birthday in a few weeks.
Sorry if I ask too many dumb questions, but ...

What was the purpose of the ball mount? Was it part of your mount for the video or was that for another function?
How did you manage the dual shots? Did you have two cameras?
Does it have any remote capability so you can start/stop/aim while in flight (without wingwalking)? Or do you turn it on and then climb in and let it run?
Did you have to edit the footage? How?

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

What was the purpose of the ball mount? Was it part of your mount for the video or was that for another function?
Ball mount is part of the mounting system. There are two other items to make the complete mounting system.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CMNXTI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TUPRQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may find this setup cheaper as a complete package.

How did you manage the dual shots? Did you have two cameras?
Did you have to edit the footage? How?

Two cameras I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 you can find it for around $70.

Does it have any remote capability so you can start/stop/aim while in flight (without wingwalking)? Or do you turn it on and then climb in and let it run?

No remote with the Roam, cut it on, climb in and go. It will run for about 3 hours on a charge. I've got a Sony HDR-AS15 with remote, I kept that one inside since it costs 3X as much as the Roam.:D

Sounds like a cool day trip from the Hampton Roads area. Did you eat at Howard's Pub? How was it?

Just so I understand the setup, you attach suction cup on the wing, bolt the ball mount with diamond base to the suction cup, use double socket arm so you can swivel the camera, and at the other end of the double socket arm you use another ball with thread that screws to the bottom of the camera?

Nice video and I rather enjoyed the music...

Just so I understand the setup, you attach suction cup on the wing, bolt the ball mount with diamond base to the suction cup, use double socket arm so you can swivel the camera, and at the other end of the double socket arm you use another ball with thread that screws to the bottom of the camera?

Correct

Sounds like a cool day trip from the Hampton Roads area. Did you eat at Howard's Pub? How was it?
Yes, we got a ride into town from a guy who was down in a Cherokee Six. We rented a cart and went to Howard's Pub. It was OK, but I'm kind of spoiled since KTGI is only a 20 min hop (via JAMIE) from W75.

Yes, we got a ride into town from a guy who was down in a Cherokee Six. We rented a cart and went to Howard's Pub. It was OK, but I'm kind of spoiled since KTGI is only a 20 min hop (via JAMIE) from W75.

Nice to hear Howard's is still there. We flew there in '03, coming down from Kitty Hawk after the 100th Anniversary of Flight.

That was the first barrier island I had ever seen or landed on. Now, I live on one! lol

I walked into a Sony shop going out of business and picked up an 18MP DSLR camera with a telephoto lens for half price. Takes damn nice photos too. It'll probably do better once I figure out how to use it.

I walked into a Sony shop going out of business and picked up an 18MP DSLR camera with a telephoto lens for half price. Takes damn nice photos too. It'll probably do better once I figure out how to use it.

Did you start by reading the manual? :D I know I'm guilty of pushing buttons without reading the directions. I've had technicians remind me that the difference between engineers and technicians is that when you get a new piece of instrumentation the engineers start pushing buttons while the techs read the manual first. :D:D

Did you start by reading the manual? :D I know I'm guilty of pushing buttons without reading the directions. I've had technicians remind me that the difference between engineers and technicians is that when you get a new piece of instrumentation the engineers start pushing buttons while the techs read the manual first. :D:D

Actually, I started by reading the manual, which was obviously written in another language and translated into something else before it was translated into English. Not to most helpful document I've ever encountered.

Unusual for me. Usually I start pushing buttons. Scientists start by pushing buttons, but care clever enough to quickly figure out the right ones to press.

Actually, I started by reading the manual, which was obviously written in another language and translated into something else before it was translated into English. Not to most helpful document I've ever encountered.

Unusual for me. Usually I start pushing buttons. Scientists start by pushing buttons, but care clever enough to quickly figure out the right ones to press.

Gotta love those manuals and the translators that create the "English" version. :D

Nice video, looks like a good approach into Ocracoke.

I flew into w75 today. Cub is on the ramp.

yhury5ad.jpg

Great video. At what height do you retract the landing gear?

Normally I retract when I can't land in the remaining runway. However this time I had some other things going on and I missed that on the checklist until I went back and reviewed it.:rolleyes:

I've never flown a Retract, so my question was not to 2nd guess you. It was more to learn....

I picked up last years Contour Roam. Amazon has them for $99.95.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GLFSYQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not much difference between the new model and the old model.

Biggest difference is 60fps on 720p on the Roam2
That being said, it appears that the Roam and Roam2 are identical as far as the video hardware is concerned.
So-o-o-o, stick the Roam2 firmware into Roam - and you just got yourself a $200 camera.
Done it, works.

Biggest difference is 60fps on 720p on the Roam2
That being said, it appears that the Roam and Roam2 are identical as far as the video hardware is concerned.
So-o-o-o, stick the Roam2 firmware into Roam - and you just got yourself a $200 camera.
Done it, works.

Have you run across any instructions? I've done a google search, but if you have some that you used successfully I would feel more comfortable.

Back