GoPros and Part 135 Ops

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
Hi ya'll,

I'm starting to fly for a part 135 operator on a DC-3. Question... What rules, if any, are there for temporarily mounting a GoPro on the belly of the aircraft? I'm talking about one of those "3M" adhesive mounts? It's not permanently fixing it to the fuselage, so it wouldn't require a 337 or an STC, to my knowledge.

I dug into the 135 regs a little and really only found stuff close to what I'm needing in §135.144 Portable electronic devices...

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating under this part.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the part 119 certificate holder has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c). The determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that part 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used.

Thoughts?

Seems like they had them on all sorts of flight on flying wild Alaska

The bigger question is where are you flying a DC3 part 135?

I did some research on this in a past thread, doesn't affected weight and balance, doesn't interfere with anything, not permanently affixed, you're good to go.

What I would recommend is when you mount it try to clean the surface as thoroughly as possible and press hard on the mount so the adhesive properly adheres, and don't use it for about 24hrs. After that you're good to go.

What does the operator think about you mounting something on the outside of their airplane?

You mount that GoPro and enjoy some great footage! Don't let people's horrible "interpretation" propaganda influence you either. I assure you, it's all hogwash.

What I would recommend is when you mount it try to clean the surface as thoroughly as possible and press hard on the mount so the adhesive properly adheres, and don't use it for about 24hrs. After that you're good to go.

This is perfect advice, and using the sticky clip is your best choice. I would only add to make sure it's on a rib, not in the soft spot of the metal sheeting as you will get excessive vibrations, especially in a radial twin like a DC-3.
When you decide to take it off, just use a hair dryer to soften the glue and slowly peel it back.
Make yourself an ND filter for it so that it takes the jello-ing out of the footage.

What does the operator think about you mounting something on the outside of their airplane?
:facepalm:

Oh and congrats on a kickass op with a spectacular aircraft!

Last edited:
Hi ya'll,

I'm starting to fly for a part 135 operator on a DC-3. Question... What rules, if any, are there for temporarily mounting a GoPro on the belly of the aircraft? ...
Thoughts?

My thought is this'll really endear you to the Director of Operations, Chief Pilot and Chief of Maintenance. :rolleyes:

dtuuri

Seems like they had them on all sorts of flight on flying wild Alaska

The bigger question is where are you flying a DC3 part 135?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Alaska. Still a few 135 DC-3s running up there.

Hey there is one addition to this though to consider. I would advise against publishing any footage with the unknowing public included as they haven't given permission. So no shots of pax (unaware public) if you publish the footage.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Alaska. Still a few 135 DC-3s running up there.

I figured that one, just wasn't sure there were really DC3s still flying around up there, sounds like a hell of a plane to fly and can't imagine jobs like this will be available for that much longer.

....and along those lines, for the most part the FAA isn't really your concern, it's going to be, as the others said, your CP, DOM, OPSPEC and GOM, I'd wager if you do this, it gets noticed and you didn't clear it with at least your CP first, you're not going to be flying that DC3 for long, might even get a PRIA hit off of it. I'd just ask, worst they can do is say no.

This is perfect advice, and using the sticky clip is your best choice. I would only add to make sure it's on a rib, not in the soft spot of the metal sheeting as you will get excessive vibrations, especially in a radial twin like a DC-3.

Make yourself an ND filter for it so that it takes the jello-ing out of the footage.

Yeah, like Shane said, find a solid spot. Where we disagree is on using an ND filter. If you need to use one for jello, then you don't have a good mount and adding an ND filter will just change the jello to all-around blur in the image. ND is fine for prop blur, but using it for jello doesn't lead to good video, just video that's bad for a different reason.

Sticking to a solid spot on the aircraft is one important part. Another part is to use as few of the pieces of plastic between the airplane and the camera as possible. Combine the two and you might find yourself compromising on mounting location in order to reduce the plastic needed to aim the camera.

Also, consider shooting at 60fps. That's good for jello, good for prop and useful if you ever need to do slo-mo.

Dont glue a GOPRO to the outside of an airplane. They fall off! Maybe not ALL of them, and maybe not right away. But they do. They really do. Besides, its a 135 op and someone elses plane. What gives you the right to modify it? If someone did that to my plan without my permission, he'd be gone in a NY second!

how about asking the POI? he is the one that will yank the 135 cert and yours if he sees it and does not like it.

I would guess the MX POI would have a lot to say, mods, even minor, have a whole different paperwork trail under 135.

bob

how about asking the POI? he is the one that will yank the 135 cert and yours if he sees it and does not like it.

I would guess the MX POI would have a lot to say, mods, even minor, have a whole different paperwork trail under 135.

bob

Uh, you're gonna go around your new boss like you own the company?

dtuuri

Dont glue a GOPRO to the outside of an airplane. They fall off! Maybe not ALL of them, and maybe not right away. But they do. They really do.

Call it a cost of getting the shot to lose a camera once every thousand flights (or ten thousand, it's a very, very rare occurrence in any case).

Call it a cost of getting the shot to lose a camera once every thousand flights (or ten thousand, it's a very, very rare occurrence in any case).

Will it stick to oil? It's a Douglas Racer y'know.

dtuuri

Thanks for the advice, guys... Yeah, I'm up north.

First off, I would never just throw it on without permission. Still have to ask the boss, don't think he would mind... But, if gives me the NEGATIVE... I won't sneak it... Not worth my job.

Here are a couple shots I'm thinking about... Cockpit action with audio, right wing, belly forward of the flaps (DC-3 flaps are underneath fuselage too)... and a timelapse inside the cargo door when we load it.

Thoughts?

I'm jealous, very cool.

I know a guy... that had good luck with the factory sticky mounts on a C208B, things held on just fine all the way to near VNE, I'd imagine if you're not in the path of the oil or exhaust streaks you'd be fine going that route for the go pros.

Uh, you're gonna go around your new boss like you own the company?

dtuuri

i would not even do it to begin with, but isn't sticking a camera on someone's airplane the same thing. I have heard of guy's in the 135 121 world fired for posting a cockpit vid taken on a rev flight.

bob

Seems like they had them on all sorts of flight on flying wild Alaska...

Yea but that's Alaska which I believe is the only state where it's legal to strap 4x8 sheets of plywood to you wing struts so they probably don't give a hoot about no little ol' GoPro's

Hi ya'll,

I'm starting to fly for a part 135 operator on a DC-3. Question... What rules, if any, are there for temporarily mounting a GoPro on the belly of the aircraft? I'm talking about one of those "3M" adhesive mounts? It's not permanently fixing it to the fuselage, so it wouldn't require a 337 or an STC, to my knowledge.

I dug into the 135 regs a little and really only found stuff close to what I'm needing in §135.144 Portable electronic devices...

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating under this part.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the part 119 certificate holder has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c). The determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that part 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used.

Thoughts?

You flying with Bush Air cargo?

Back