GoPro questions

Redneckpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Redneckpilot
Seriously considering a GoPro 10 to mount on the strut of my 182.
My biggest question is can the NflightCam prop filter for the Hero 10 camera be used externally?
If not, does someone make a a prop filter that is suitable for external use?

Any tips or tricks to this?
Total newbie on this.

I've got a hero 9 and have been surprised that I can shoot through the prop and not need a filter (unlike my other older GoPros).
I've also found it is only really needed on my older cameras if filming from directly behind the prop. Out on the strut I don't use one even if the prop is in the frame.

I can shoot through the prop and not need a filter

Hi.
What settings are you using?
I am testing a GP10 Black and the prop is still showing up.
Did you find a way to get external sound in?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I was always curious about what rules (if any) there are about mounting cameras externally. Are they so small that they can be mounted pretty much anywhere?

Are they so small that they can be mounted pretty much anywhere?
Hi.
Yes they are small. GP10 is about 2x3x1 in. the older models are a little smaller. The problem with the newer ones, GP10 seems to be in a need of adapters to get any sound. The GP5, 6, 7 are much easier to handle.
FAA rules do not allow mounting them permanently and if you can mount them temporarily where the strut / chain ring is, in the case o 172 / cessnas.. you can easily remove them without changing anything structurally, there is not much they care about.
DO NOT mount suction / glue / spring loaded clamps anything externally, use a screw, it's easy to make your own mount.

I was always curious about what rules (if any) there are about mounting cameras externally. Are they so small that they can be mounted pretty much anywhere?
If you use a search engine you'll find this was a hot topic when GoPros first came out. All sorts of weird distinctions. Permanent vs temporary. Is it "maintenance" that needs to be logged? "Preventive maintenance" or mechanic required. Even down to whether it requires a too or not. I don't know if they still are, but the folks from the popular MyPilotPro clamp on mount originally advertised it as legal because it included a tightening lever so you didn't need a screwdriver.

I guess it's technically a grey area. But with time and experience it's become ubiquitous. AFAIK, unless it drops and hits someone, it's a practical non-issue.

I will not buy another gopro. Junk. When you need it to perform it let's you down.

Others are out there. The dji osmo works well.

I will not buy another gopro. Junk. When you need it to perform it let's you down.

Others are out there. The dji osmo works well.
I use "others" too. I have a used GoPro that loves to overheat and shut down and an Apeman that won't quit. But I thought the question about mounting was pretty generic.

I use "others" too. I have a used GoPro that loves to overheat and shut down and an Apeman that won't quit. But I thought the question about mounting was pretty generic.

It is, but it seems like he hasn't bought the go pro yet so I figured I'd let him know about the issues. I wish someone had let me know. My understanding is that they still haven't fixed it. Lots of hacks to make them a little more reliable, but they have consistently disappointed me.

Here are some ideas from someone who ought to know:

Back