GoPro Hero4 $100 off

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Last edited:
Dick's Sporting Goods has GoPros on sale $300 for the silver and $400 for the black. Linky below. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two models?

Edit - it looks like the main difference is in the max resolution? For in-flight recording is there any reason to go for the more expensive model?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f...e_R3_C1_100OffGoProHERO4SilverandBlackCameras

They both shoot at “4K” resolution (3840 x 2160), but the silver can only provide 15 frames per second (fps) in 4K mode, whereas the black can provide 30, 25 or 24 fps. I don’t use 4K, however, because I don’t want to deal with the larger file sizes.

I’m sure that 4k would be crisper, but I choose to shoot at the “1080p” resolution (1920 x 1080), rather than 4K, because it’s plenty good enough for me. 1080p is the standard resolution of the original “high definition” TVs.

If you’re like me, the silver would be adequate since they both shoot 1080p @ 60 fps. The black can deliver 90 fps, or even 120 fps when shooting 1080p, but 60 fps seems adequate.

So, if you’re also OK with 1080p @ 60 fps, then the silver would be fine. That said, it’s only money! :)

Edit - I bought a Hero4 black in Oct. 2014 for $499, so I'm guessing that the model life is coming to an end.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I'll probably be posting some video from it at some point. I got a gopro knockoff camera for $60 on ebay. If you want to look just search "sjcam" on ebay and you'll see tons. The cool thing about this one is it is the same size/shape as a gopro and you can use gopro mounts supposedly.

Only shoots in 1080p, but for most of us that's probably ok... especially considering the price difference.

eetrojan is right on the differences. Standard videography for the casual user, the silver is more than enough.

The SJcams actually work pretty good for their price. However, you will be very disappointed in the color spectrum in post. The colors and fine details will be poor. But just fine for a toss cam or something.

The better cameras at that price point are the Mobius dash cams and these great little keychain cams:
http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365/16-Cameras-/_i.html?_fsub=4516628015&_sid=934409915

The Mobius are 1080p and the keychain cams are 720p. The colors and detail are excellent. Just pay attention to the "Lens type" and "V" number. They are the different types of lenses and angle view.

Last edited:
Back