GoPro camera on the headset.... design 3

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Hey guys,

Here is my latest Gopro on the aviation headset design. This has the com cable attached to the Gopro. I had to modify the cable to give it a 90 degree turn. Also, the Gopro mounts and frame I bought from eBay.

You can see my touch and go video with tower comm on my facebook page:

Make sure you click the HD icon. I am about to go on my check flight in a week or two. BTW, please critique my flying!!!

Maduro

Last edited:
Cool mount! Seemed very stable in your video.
I hate the way those ND filters completely wash out the detail especially in the gauges, but the mount location is really nice.

Great video; thanks for posting it. Did you find it at all difficult to adapt to the extra weight on the side of your headset?

Nice setup! One of these days I need to get a GoPro, looks like fun!

The weight of the camera and mount is negligible. When you have the headset on your head, the weight is further from the center so the weight has lesser effect. So, the bigger the head you have, lesser the weight will be noticed. BTW, to align your camera make sure you do it in front of a mirror with the headset on your head.

Here are is the shopping list of parts:

Ebay:
Modular Frame Mount For. GoPro Go Pro HD HERO 3/3+ Black Accessory Adapter 3D
5*Mount 2-Way Pivot Arm Assembly Extension Adapter+5*Screw Knob for GoPro Hero

General hardware:
Aluminum strip and machine bolts, washers, and lock nuts

I chose to grind off the top and one side of the GoPro frame mount as you can see in the photos. The Pivots arm from GoPro will not work with the Frame mount since the ends are 90 degrees from each end so the Pivot Arm listed above is needed.

Only issue I have is the same as for a head strap. By far, most of the videos I've seen with the head strap have benn jerky since we tend to make small quick movements with our heads as wee look at various things when flying, especially as we get on an approach to landing. Otherwise I really like the idea.

Back