GoPro and flight recording

Thoughts... Ok. I think its good to go as long as it is not attached to a control surface.

I have been thinking about getting one and recording takeoffs and landings. Never know when it might be a useful tool.

I'd be afraid of losing a camera if I hung it outside... Those things aren't cheap.

Just make a safe, secure and rigid bracket like this...

Attachments

• DSCN0875.JPG
    DSCN0875.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0868.JPG
    DSCN0868.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0873.JPG
    DSCN0873.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0872.JPG
    DSCN0872.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
Quit "churning butter" with the stick in the flare. Once you pull it to a certain point, don't let it come forward.

Overall, pretty good. Some comments to improve: The view looks claustrophobic to me. More view out the front would be good.

What GoPro and mode are you using? A wide-ratio view would take up the full screen and be much better.

Overall, pretty good. Some comments to improve: The view looks claustrophobic to me. More view out the front would be good.

What GoPro and mode are you using? A wide-ratio view would take up the full screen and be much better.

Session. I'd mount it somewhere in between the two of you. Mounting outside is cool, just don't get caught.

I have recorded my flights since day one. I always learn something from reviewing them. I try to shoot as many angles as I can so I can get different perspectives. At least two outside. For some reason, I am not as confident in the suction cup as I am with the adhesive mounts. Those things stick like crazy, as long as the surface is clean. Since it is not my plane(s) I always get permission and it has never caused any damage but, be prepared to use patience getting them off. Here are a couple of my latest, just for camera perspective. Remember, I create them for me and I am sure most would do it differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFpxbi_KI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdV91mHQNYc

Never noticed this, thanks for the advice!
Nice editing PilotMan! Not familiar with the roofline of the Cirrus but, I always have one mounted center there so I can see instruments, speeds, etc.... I know you have to deal with CAPS there so may not be an option for you.
For the most part I shoot for my own review to see what I do right vs wrong(I have alot of work) so mine are pretty boring but, it allows me to learn. I guess you have to figure out if it is to entertain or is it for you to learn from. Either way it is cool!:thumbsup:

I've been meaning to buy a refurb gopro and a handlebar mount and mounting a gopro to my tail stinger facing forwards, just haven't gotten around it it. Probably the only way I'd mount one to the exterior of my plane.

Can someone elaborate on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
When I researched it before I started mounting them outside, the FAA did not have any commentary on it. It is not illegal however, if it they fall off and you damage property or injure someone, you are liable. As long as it is not on a control surface the airflow is minimally disturbed.

One of the dangers of recording is what is captured could be used against you if you post it. There are tons of examples of videos showing clear violations that I wouldn't be caught dead posting (pun intended)

...Mounting outside is cool, just don't get caught.

Can someone elaborate on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There’s a recent FAA memorandum floating around the interwebs on this very topic. It’s dated March 13, 2014 and the subject is "Request for Clarification: External Camera Mounts.”

Here’s a link to my PDF copy:

It essentially says that “suction cups, or other temporary methods attachment (not including permanent mechanical attachments…)" do not count as a “modification” or an “alteration” of an aircraft, so the FAA doesn’t have any regulatory means of stopping you from using temporary methods of attachment, but the FAA does NOT support it, and the FAA may pursue an enforcement action for “careless operations” if you hurt somebody.

So, you can use a temporary mount, but if you do use one, don’t be careless because you bear the risk of liability to others and enforcement for being careless. This is only as I read it. Make sure you agree.

In the context of SoCal, I'm personally OK with the temporary attachment of an external mount that uses threaded fasteners (e.g. a thumb screw), but I would regard a suction cup on the outside of an aircraft as being careless.

On a side note, I cannot find an official link to this memo on the actual FAA site. Maybe somebody higher up in the FAA food chain is unhappy with its content, but so far as I know, they have not formally walked it back.

Last edited:
I record most of my flights This is the most recent video I've made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-yC7ydqLG0

• What is your set up if you record flights?
  • How do people overcome the lowlight issues of filming at night?
  • Would you ever attach one outside the aircraft?

1. HD hero 4 black
2. Hero 4 black... has a bigger sensor than the other gopros.
3. Prolly not

I record most of my flights This is the most recent video I've made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-yC7ydqLG0

• What is your set up if you record flights?
  • How do people overcome the lowlight issues of filming at night?
  • Would you ever attach one outside the aircraft?

Setup is a Garmin VIRB with a mount on the dash. I do this for a few reasons:
  1. I'm not a professional or a trainer and I don't need to show people how to do anything inside of my plane.
  2. My audience (family/friends) are mostly interested in stuff OUTSIDE of the plane, no one cares that my speed was 10 knots fast or slow.
  3. If I included a camera inside at the instruments I would invite comments on point #2 from people outside of my intended audience.

I tried filming at night with and without the prop filter, got nothing useful out of it so I don't do it anymore.
  • Also, nothing is less interesting to me then watching someone flying a black hole. Might as well park in a dark hangar and record an hour of that, save on avgas.

I considered mounting one outside, mostly for landing practice when I was first learning, but now that I have a feel for things, don't need it.
  • Also, note to those of you who do that: The most useless camera position is the one on the wing pointing back at the cockpit. Unless you're in a constant left or right back, I might as well be a passenger sitting on the wing staring at your face the whole trip. Boring...Save the video and post a picture of that angle, I doubt the two would differ much.

Ah, but excellent positioning to record panel responses.

For some reason, I am not as confident in the suction cup as I am with the adhesive mounts.

Don't they sell mounts (for outside) with screw fittings that provide the ability to screw them into the tie-down ring locations?
I'd be more likely to use something like that over stick-um

For those who do video their flights I just wonder who watches them? Do you watch them yourself? What do you really get out of watching it back? I know many people say they get something from it but do I really want to watch back my whole boring flight? Nope. It was boring enough while I was up there I sure don't want to see it again. :D

I can't imagine anyone I know wanting to watch a flight even if I edited it - which I don't think I would enjoy. Yes GoPro makes it easy enough to add stupid overdriven guitar licks to your video. Does that make it epic? lol

I guess I could post to YT since I do watch vids posted by others when I'm curious about a particular airport or airplane or whatever.

I keep thinking I want to get a GoPro or a Virb but then I go... why? What am I really going to do with all that video.

My neighbors scuba dive and bring back videos of that stuff but most of the time they say "oh I haven't had a chance to edit it." Yeah that's my point. I don't like to edit video. Seems sucky and time consuming.

Guess I'm on the fence about it.

I watched a really good IFR video the other day, done in a Bonanza to minimums. The controller actually wished the pilot good luck as he established, which I thought was interesting, but I'd still like to get my ticket, so I doubt a non-pilot would have thought it was all that entertaining. I also think it's kind of difficult to make GA videos generally fun, maybe due to the limited camera angles and vantage points available.

For those of you recording whole flights or even long segments, how are you dealing with the massive file sizes from the videos? I did one trip around the pattern and the video was almost a gig. Not having a super fast computer or an easy way to compress the video down before transferring it I haven't been able to do much with the videos once I take them.

Keith

I watched a really good IFR video the other day, done in a Bonanza to minimums. The controller actually wished the pilot good luck as he established, which I thought was interesting, but I'd still like to get my ticket, so I doubt a non-pilot would have thought it was all that entertaining. I also think it's kind of difficult to make GA videos generally fun, maybe due to the limited camera angles and vantage points available.

I think this is the main reason I'd do it... for other pilots out there. Post to YT for the good of mankind or whatever.

For those of you recording whole flights or even long segments, how are you dealing with the massive file sizes from the videos? I did one trip around the pattern and the video was almost a gig. Not having a super fast computer or an easy way to compress the video down before transferring it I haven't been able to do much with the videos once I take them.

Keith

Get a faster computer. You don't want to compress, because it will look like crap

The one you see from was a GoPro 4 Black recording in 2.7k at 60fps. The camera on the windshield is a GoPro Session recording in 1080p but the memory card messed up and I didn't get any footage from it. I agree it look claustrophobic, but thats because it is haha. Im trying to figure out a mount that gives a view of the instruments without that issue or obstruction my view or motion. The issue with the ratio is I had imported and edited a potion of the film in the wrong setting and was too lazy to redo all of it, better next time.

Nice editing PilotMan! Not familiar with the roofline of the Cirrus but, I always have one mounted center there so I can see instruments, speeds, etc.... I know you have to deal with CAPS there so may not be an option for you.
For the most part I shoot for my own review to see what I do right vs wrong(I have alot of work) so mine are pretty boring but, it allows me to learn. I guess you have to figure out if it is to entertain or is it for you to learn from. Either way it is cool!:thumbsup:

I cant mount it there on the Cirrus because of CAPS, I was disappointed about that. Its both for me, I watch them after unedited and break down the flight but then I figure I can make something entertaining for others with some editing. Thanks for the compliment!

For those who do video their flights I just wonder who watches them? Do you watch them yourself? What do you really get out of watching it back? I know many people say they get something from it but do I really want to watch back my whole boring flight? Nope. It was boring enough while I was up there I sure don't want to see it again. :D

I can't imagine anyone I know wanting to watch a flight even if I edited it - which I don't think I would enjoy. Yes GoPro makes it easy enough to add stupid overdriven guitar licks to your video. Does that make it epic? lol

I guess I could post to YT since I do watch vids posted by others when I'm curious about a particular airport or airplane or whatever.

I keep thinking I want to get a GoPro or a Virb but then I go... why? What am I really going to do with all that video.

My neighbors scuba dive and bring back videos of that stuff but most of the time they say "oh I haven't had a chance to edit it." Yeah that's my point. I don't like to edit video. Seems sucky and time consuming.

Personally I enjoy editing it. Its also memories. Bottom line is its for some and not for others I guess

Keith

Dont take this the wrong way, if your computer cant handle a gig you need a new computer :D

A few other Zenith 801 builders were claiming the nose gear leg actually bends.... I argued that it was thick wall tubing and there is NO way..

So, I set up my Go Pro and pointed it at the nose gear..

First video the cam was set to ultra wide angle and that didn't really show any data..:redface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Second video I set it to narrow and sure as siht.... The gear leg does actually bend...:yikes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiz79dr2d64ay7n/GOPR0105.MP4?dl=0

I was kinda amazed it bends,, All the other guys were amazed I got in 15 take off and landings in 5 minutes...:D

Petro, to each his own. I am a new pilot and yes, I still watch my videos. I learn a ton of what I do right and what I do wrong. The object is to learn from the last flightand the video reinforces that, at least for me. It doesn't work for everybody but, it does for me. For the most part, no one looks at my videos, which is cool with me, since I do it for me.

Back