GoPro and available cables

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
I currently have a cable for connecting the GoPro to the audio\headset. Does anyone know if there's a cable available that splits so that I can connect to audio and be able to charge the camera at the same time?

Thanks

I currently have a cable for connecting the GoPro to the audio\headset. Does anyone know if there's a cable available that splits so that I can connect to audio and be able to charge the camera at the same time?

Thanks

Just for clarity, what GoPro model and what cable model do you currently have?

It is a HERO 3 Black. I do not have the cable with me so I do not know which one it is.

I don't think that combo cable will help. Because the GoPro Hero3 adapter would not be able to connect to the 3.5mm female input on the combo cable. That cable runs to mini-usb male. Now if you have a standard 3.5 digital recording splitter adapter cable like this, then you can use that combo cable just fine!
HERO3_Combo_Cable_683x426c_zpsbf374c7c.jpg

But if you have the Hero3 Adapter cable, then you would have to find a way to convert the mini usb male to a 3.5mm male to input into the TRS female connector on that combo cable. That is getting too complicated.

As I understand it, you are looking to split the headset hero3 adapter cable, like we sell here: but you want to be able to split the mini usb input into the camera so that you can record the audio from the headset AND have the camera plugged into power. Is that correct? Basically 1 male mini-usb split into 2 female mini-usb.

If so, I will have my guys look into this right now, and see if we can come up with a solution. There are 2 issues that I see that we'll have to check. The first is that because the intercom system feeds power to the headset and that is plugged into the cable adapter, we need to make sure that the 5 volts that you will be feeding into the camera from the split power supply won't cause an issue, or any power problems for the camera or the mic in the headset. The second is making sure that there won't be any interference in your camera's audio because of the added forward voltage being pushed through the single mini usb. The reason is, because the mini usb has dedicated pins for power, data, etc. So we have to split that and need to make sure.

I'll get back to you

Last edited:
I don't think that combo cable will help. Because the GoPro Hero3 adapter would not be able to connect to the 3.5mm female input on the combo cable. That cable runs to mini-usb male. Now if you have a standard 3.5 digital recording splitter adapter cable like this, then you can use that combo cable just fine!
HERO3_Combo_Cable_683x426c_zpsbf374c7c.jpg

But if you have the Hero3 Adapter cable, then you would have to find a way to convert the mini usb male to a 3.5mm male to input into the TRS female connector on that combo cable. That is getting too complicated.

As I understand it, you are looking to split the headset hero3 adapter cable, like we sell here: but you want to be able to split the mini usb input into the camera so that you can record the audio from the headset AND have the camera plugged into power. Is that correct? Basically 1 male mini-usb split into 2 female mini-usb.

If so, I will have my guys look into this right now, and see if we can come up with a solution. There are 2 issues that I see that we'll have to check. The first is that because the intercom system feeds power to the headset and that is plugged into the cable adapter, we need to make sure that the 5 volts that you will be feeding into the camera from the split power supply won't cause an issue, or any power problems for the camera or the mic in the headset. The second is making sure that there won't be any interference in your camera's audio because of the added forward voltage being pushed through the single mini usb. The reason is, because the mini usb has dedicated pins for power, data, etc. So we have to split that and need to make sure.

I'll get back to you

That is correct. I want to be able to use the cable for the audio transmission and to charge at the same time. Thanks for your help.

the HTC adapter plug is not a standard Mini USB. It needs some grinding in order to work. So be careful there.

That is correct. I want to be able to use the cable for the audio transmission and to charge at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Don't worry Andy, we didn't forget about you. We needed to mock one up and see how it worked, and it's great! Going to get something together for you early next week, with some photos, and see if it'll work for your needs.

Talk to you soon!

Don't worry Andy, we didn't forget about you. We needed to mock one up and see how it worked, and it's great! Going to get something together for you early next week, with some photos, and see if it'll work for your needs.

Talk to you soon!

+1. Count me in pls. I am looking for this splitter as well.

Very cool - I'd be interested in knowing more about this as well!

Talk to you soon!

Thanks, can't wait.

Guess what is ready? OH ya, that's right, the cable is. Sorry it took us a few days longer than we expected, but we needed to test everything that we thought might cause a problem.

We did a long full USB power connection for you, that way you don't have to mess with multiple cables.

Give us about 30 minutes and we'll have them available for order on our site. Now just be aware that because we're ramping up that it may take several days to ship out, so because ya'll are the first one's, be a little patient. I'll edit this post with a link to the cable here shortly.

Ok, it's ready! Here is the link: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/products/aviation-headset-audio-adapter-cable

Last edited:
Nice. Just ordered it and looking forward to giving it a try!

Just sent the link to my dad so that it can be ordered. Thanks again for taking this on.

Back