Google Fi vs FirstNet

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience comparing both cell providers?

Currently I’m on google Fi with my iPhone but I just learned about firstnet, most of my usage is in the US and Canada, though in do travel a little and do like the WiFi calling using google hangouts, draw backs is since I’m normally using a little bit of data I’m normally around the $80cap, since I’m on a iPhone I’m only on the T-Mobile part of the network, benifits would be the global text and data at normal rates vs firstnet appears to just be US, Canada and Mexico.

Anyone have experience with both?

https://www.firstnet.com/

https://fi.google.com/about/

Interesting.

The Google Fi page suggests only Android phones are allowed - how is it your iPhone is on it?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Interesting.

The Google Fi page suggests only Android phones are allowed - how is it your iPhone is on it?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Activated on a pixel, swapped the sim into my iPhone, tweaked a few settings, only issue is I get iPhone messages on the message app, but non iPhone picture messages go through the google hangouts app, as does WiFi calling.

Thing is my bill is normally like $80 on Fi, would be $50 on firstnet and I’d have priority over all other phones and better reception indoors, but I’d loose my global service, in countries where I have to pay by the minute to talk (from Canada to India) I can just call through my unlimited data on the google hangouts app.

No thanks - both AT&T and T-Mobile are awful in Nebraska - often times zero coverage in decently populated areas. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen less than perfect LTE on Verizon in this state at least.

With Verizon I pay a fairly expensive cell phone bill, about $200, for two iPhones and an IPad, with 22GB of data per device (not shared). After the 22GB, speeds slow.

Not cheap, but lots of data, and in my experience gives me the best chance of having great coverage while traveling in the lower 48. Important to my job, so I pay, and honestly I’ve been a happy Verizon customer for 15 years or so.

Worked great in Canada last month but my plan only gives me 512mb of Canada data per device per day then slows. Was fine for my case - I goto Canada about once a decade and I’ve never stayed overnight.

Last edited:
VZW is great, but I spend a good amount of time in Canada

No thanks - both AT&T and T-Mobile are awful in Nebraska - often times zero coverage in decently populated areas. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen less than perfect LTE on Verizon in this state at least.

T-Mobile is still bringing up band 66 and band 71, which are supposed to have long reach. I wouldn't write them completely off just yet.

Since Google Fi is a Sprint/T-Mobile mashup and Sprint/T-Mobile are supposed to merge soon, I wonder how that will affect Fi?

Well I’m going on a “test drive” I got a temp number for now and forwarded my number and I’ll see how I like it, only thing I can’t get a good grasp on is if a iPhone X works on firstnets band 14?

1_B563_EF8-85_DE-4386-_B66_D-365009836988.png

Last edited:
Back