Goofy comments from PAX

Flying from flat lands to a less flat landscape.
"Hmmm, it looks you have trouble keeping altitude"

On short final, engine idle.
"Where is the field?"

On short final, engine idle.
"Where is the field?"

Proper response:

"Oh, CR@P! You don't see it either?!?" :wink2:

Proper response:

"Oh, CR@P! You don't see it either?!?" :wink2:

Or, "Dang, it was here a minute ago!"

--
On a training flight at night, we headed to an unfamiliar (to me) field and I was having trouble getting the airport lights to turn on. My CFI asked, "What would you do if you couldn't turn on the runway lights?".

It had been one of those flights where I was getting frustrated and just didin't want to deal with a question like that, so like a smart-*** I said, "I'd just aim for the dark spot - everything else in town is lit up, so that means the runway must be in the one place that isn't."

Not quite the answer the CFI wanted to hear.

As have I, on a few occasions. Amusingly, we weren't actually at a mile for the majority of them.
We start out at over a mile high so there no reason for them even to get in the airplane. :goofy:

The day I got my private license my mom and dad were waiting at the airport and my dad wanted me to give them a ride in the Cessna 150. I took my dad up first, and he had a ball. We flew around for about a half hour. My mom was real nervous, but my dad told her that I would just take her around the pattern and everything would be fine, so she decided that she would go. I was climbing out and started to make my turn for the crosswind leg when my mom blurted out, "what are you doing." I told her that I was turning, and she said, "don't do that."

You're a pilot? Like airplanes???
No. Brooms.

Dude, I'm getting stoned before we go up.
Dude, no you're not.

Do I need a parachutte?
Are you sure you didn't just smoke?

How much to fly to Japan?
Obviously less than your weed bill

How high will we be flying? Please no more than 100 feet. I'm afraid of heights.

Or the awesome:

How the hell do you not wear a parachute?

not goofy, but funny to me. A few years ago, my old friend, best man, retired Navy C-2 pilot and I flew out to Cabela's in Sidney. Refueled back at home base again and he laughed as the pump clicked off at 20 gallons. "Hell, we burn more than that just starting one engine!"

Was on short final to land once on a bumpy summer day. The fuel gauges were bouncing between half and below empty, though we had about 1/3rd tank on each side. A backseat pax, his first time in a small plane, pointed at the gauges and SCREAMED in my ear "are the fuel tanks supposed to be empty like that?"

A common one for me has been - "Wait, what do you mean YOU built your airplane!?" Then, when they see it on the ramp they say "Oh, it's a REAL airplane!" What were you expecting - popsicle sticks and elmer's glue?!

A common one for me has been - "Wait, what do you mean YOU built your airplane!?" Then, when they see it on the ramp they say "Oh, it's a REAL airplane!" What were you expecting - popsicle sticks and elmer's glue?!
I've been meaning to ask you ... will you build me one, too?

The day I got my private license my mom and dad were waiting at the airport and my dad wanted me to give them a ride in the Cessna 150. I took my dad up first, and he had a ball. We flew around for about a half hour. My mom was real nervous, but my dad told her that I would just take her around the pattern and everything would be fine, so she decided that she would go. I was climbing out and started to make my turn for the crosswind leg when my mom blurted out, "what are you doing." I told her that I was turning, and she said, "don't do that."

That was a RIOT!!! " Don't do that " ROLMAO:rofl:

I am amazed how many women say to my wife " You let him fly?" or " I can't belive you let him fly"

That was a RIOT!!! " Don't do that " ROLMAO:rofl:

I am amazed how many women say to my wife " You let him fly?" or " I can't belive you let him fly"
To be fair I'm sure you get a lot of guy friends tell you
"You let her out of the kitchen?"
"I can't believe she's out of the kitchen"

Oh god I'm gonna get killed

I'm amazed by how many people say about their spouse, "I would never let him/her do [insert activity]." If someone said that to me it would be the last thing they said to me. Oh wait. Maybe that's why I'm not married... :redface:

I'm amazed by how many people say about their spouse, "I would never let him/her do [insert activity]." If someone said that to me it would be the last thing they said to me. Oh wait. Maybe that's why I'm not married... :redface:

I am married (have been for 28 years) and neither of us has "requested permission."

We've discussed, debated, and even argued, but it's not a parent-child relationship.

I am married (have been for 28 years) and neither of us has "requested permission."

We've discussed, debated, and even argued, but it's not a parent-child relationship.

Too true. My wife still rides with me (and doesn't bark about me riding) on the bike. This is even after some twit broke several traffic laws, nearly killed me, and nearly cost me my leg. She told one of her friends that I could get killed just driving to work in my car. After all you can't predict when your ticket is going to be punched.

"You mean you can just get in the plane and go where ever you like without getting anyone's permission?"

I think my answer would be, "I do have permission. Here it is," and show them my pilot certificate.

I get that one a lot from people that hear me talking about my airplane project - then when they see it, I hear "Oh, so it's a REAL airplane!"

I have a CHL and commonly carry a 9mm with me. One day I was taking a friend of a friend to a small airport in West Texas to meet up with another group. This guy was pretty paranoid about "getting permission" and asked me several times about checking his bags, X-ray machines, security procedures etc. It started to get annoying so I decided to have some fun at his expense. I quietly emptied my sidearm and returned it to the holster without him seeing it. As we were taxiing out to the runup area he's obviously fidgeting and still questioning whether or not it's OK, if this is all legal to do this without clearing security first. I was right at the hold-short line so I jabbed on the brakes, looked at him in an alarmed way and asked him "You don't have a gun with you, do you?" He got really scared and said "No! Of course not!" at which point I drew my Glock and handed it to him and said "Here, you can borrow mine!" as I shoved the throttle in.

Last edited:
"Umm, isn't that where the pilot is supposed to sit?"

"Oh look, we got one of them there stewardesses on our flight!"

"So if the engine quits on a helicopter does it fall out of the sky?"

Ok, guess the last one isn't so goofy, it kinda does.

:thumbsup:

Rare to find, but it is awfully nice when you do!

When I take new Pax up I'm usually in Discovery FLight mode so there are lots of "goofy" questions I have pat answers for.

A consistent question is "what if the engine quits?"

"Then we land in the field over there, climb out, avoiding stepping in cow poop, and call a tow truck."

. I was right at the hold-short line so I jabbed on the brakes, looked at him in an alarmed way and asked him "You don't have a gun with you, do you?" He got really scared and said "No! Of course not!" at which point I drew my Glock and handed it to him and said "Here, you can borrow mine!" as I shoved the throttle in.
:goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy:

I LIKE it!

38 years for us. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. And she flies with me, not because she enjoys it, but because a 2 hour flight trumps a 5 1/2 hour drive.

38 years for us. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. And she flies with me, not because she enjoys it, but because a 2 hour flight trumps a 5 1/2 hour drive.

My wife doesn't enjoy flying, but I've taken her on some long trips.

I just have to be extra careful about turbulence.

What funny sometimes is when a Pax complements you but dosen't know that you really screwed something up.

Once I was flying a friend back from where ever and I came into the pattern with a bit too much speed and a tail wind on base. I totally overshot final. I mean it was just ugly and was ready to do a go around but when I turned back toward the upwind I now had a stiff quatering headwind that slowed me down quite a bit and as it turned out I was able to line up recover and salvage the landing with gentle turns. I was really ticked at myself because the pattern looked more like a teardrop approach entry than a proper pattern.
I landed smoothly and as I was about to apologize for what I felt was just an embarrassing pattern my pax said "Wow that was really nice, It was so cool how you flew past the airport and curved around back to the runway to set up the landing. Is it hard to learn that?"

I just decided to thank him and leave it at that.:D

I landed smoothly and as I was about to apologize for what I felt was just an embarrassing pattern my pax said "Wow that was really nice, It was so cool how you flew past the airport and curved around back to the runway to set up the landing. Is it hard to learn that?"

I just decided to thank him and leave it at that.:D

Less is more, curt -- less is more...

Last edited:
What funny sometimes is when a Pax complements you but dosen't know that you really screwed something up.

That's for sure. Non-pilot passengers are always complimenting me on my landings, even when I think they're too rough. Of course, then I fly on a 737 and am reminded what their standard is.

Oh, comments from passengers:

"Bark!"
*Whimper...*
"WOOF!"
"GRRRRR......"
*Panting....*

:D

That's for sure. Non-pilot passengers are always complimenting me on my landings, even when I think they're too rough. Of course, then I fly on a 737 and am reminded what their standard is.

"Bark!"
*Whimper...*
"WOOF!"
"GRRRRR......"
*Panting....*

:D

But you don't want: "pfffffffffft" or "blaaaaaaah"

"Bark!"
*Whimper...*
"WOOF!"
"GRRRRR......"
*Panting....*
speaking of the public and 737s, how ****ed off do you get when your entire flight is measured by how smooth your landing was?

I would probably punch passengers in the face

But you don't want: "pfffffffffft" or "blaaaaaaah"

We get those sometimes, too.

speaking of the public and 737s, how ****ed off do you get when your entire flight is measured by how smooth your landing was?

I would probably punch passengers in the face

Why? The passenger is uneducated as to the realities of what you have to deal with. Either educate the passenger or accept it.

I have had people sitting next to me on commercial flights have the following conversation:

Passenger: "That was a terrible landing!"
Me: "Have you ever tried to land an airplane?"
Passenger: "...no..."
Me: "Try it sometime, see how you do, tell me how terrible a landing that was."

Why? The passenger is uneducated as to the realities of what you have to deal with. Either educate the passenger or accept it.

I have had people sitting next to me on commercial flights have the following conversation:

Passenger: "That was a terrible landing!"
Me: "Have you ever tried to land an airplane?"
Passenger: "...no..."
Me: "Try it sometime, see how you do, tell me how terrible a landing that was."

LOL. It's all a matter of perspective.

I can remember one time flying commercial with my sister to visit our parents for some holiday. This must've been about 15 years ago. My mom met us at the gate and asked us, "how was the flight?"

My sister said, "Terrible! There was so much turbulence!"

I looked over at her and asked, "Were we on the same flight? I didn't notice a thing?"

Of course, at the time, I was taking flying lessons and was quite used to being beaten about the sky in the mighty 152! :D

Back