Good plane, no logbooks….

Hangontight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
South Paw
Question: how much of a price penalty would you place on Cub, Champ, or similar if it had no log books but was in excellent shape otherwise with current annual, registration, & flown regularly. Although important, I’m thinking an older simpler plane would be less affected by missing logs as opposed to something more modern. What say ye?

Question: how much of a price penalty would you place on Cub, Champ, or similar if it had no log books but was in excellent shape otherwise with current annual, registration, & flown regularly. Although important, I’m thinking an older simpler plane would be less affected by missing logs as opposed to something more modern. What say ye?

Where is this current annual documented?

To the original question, yes, missing logs are bad and there should be a price hit expected but it won't be as bad on a simpler plane where overall condition is the main thing and ADs are few or simple to verify.

Many old tube and fabric airplanes like Cubs and Champs have been resurrected with paperwork missing prior to the last rebuild. It has been my observation that there is often little or no penalty for the absence of historic paperwork that the owner was not obligated to retain. The current aircraft condition and status is where the most emphasis is placed.

Newer aircraft, particularly those with time limited components, will suffer a much greater impact on their valuation when documentation is missing.

Well, that is a good start. Did the IA also verify compliance with all applicable ADs? Are all major repairs and alterations documented with 337s? I know they may be missing as well so you need to get the records CD from OKC. If you are able to build a decent basic file, you will not take much if any loss on aircraft value on older simple planes like a Cub or Champ. More complex planes would likely pose more of a problem.

Back