good places to stop Nashville and Atlanta area

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
going to be commuting my off hitch in the boss's arrow for probably most of the summer till we start contracts in the South again. Will be flying from Indianpolis area to Orlando to drop off co-worker then up to Daytona every couple weeks.

looking for recommended FBO's in Nashville area, looking to make 2 1/2 hour legs or so.

was rough planning to stop at KM33 and KCSG(usually hit ABY as its quick in/out but fuel is high there and little longer leg than I wanted). looking for quick in/out, decent fuel prices and clean bathrooms - in that order.

thanks for any recommendations

Last edited:
I go into Lebanon (TN) because I've got friends in Mt. Juliet. Tune is a good place too and the SS fuel is cheaper there.

not sure if this is helpful but I recently flew into KDKX, downtown Knoxville. the airport is only a couple of miles from a few decent looking places to have lunch right on the river and the FBO has a crew car.

If your heart is set on the Nashville area, go to MQY. Otherwise, I like Tullahoma. Cheap fuel and nice service. You can grab the crew car and get food.

For the Atlanta area, I'd go a little further south to Thomaston (OPN).

I flew into FTY this weekend.....wasn't impressed.

Yea I used to hop helicopter rides out of Charlie Brown at one point in time, the controller was kind of a.... anyhow, Signature was always nice there though at Fulton

guess I should have said Columbus area instead of Atlanta, Columbus put me right at 2:30 leg.

MQY is a great option for Nashville, I did my training there. I'll second the Tullahoma recommendation. Beech has a really nice museum there if you wanted to kill some time.

Yep, another vote for OPN. No congestion, clean facilities, and cheap gas. Just watch out for skydivers.

If you're more to the east, HQU is a similar good choice, for the same reasons.

Cullman (KCMD) south of Huntsville has cheap fuel and a restaurant on the field. Winchester (KBGF) in TN has the cheapest fuel around HSV. Probably too far off the straight line path.

Tullahoma is good for a stop at one of 2 Whiskey distilleries in the area, but it is not close to Nashville. John Tune KJWN is the best stop for Nashville. Be aware that there are very tall radio towers close to Tune and you will likely get bleed through of the radio station on short final to Tune from the North.

Columbus? LSF. Check out the infantry museum while you're there. Just file R12345 and I'm sure they won't have any problem with you arriving.

Actually don't know of anything around the Columbus area. Americus is a nice little airport just to the east. Was an air boss at an air show there once. Charles Lindbergh solo'd out of there as well.

Americus is a nice little airport just to the east. Was an air boss at an air show there once. Charles Lindbergh solo'd out of there as well.

The airport at Americus has long been known as Souther Field. A couple of years back the county fathers decided to rename it to Jimmy Carter airport. I guess they figured it would be good for tourism. The story I heard was that even Jimmy Carter didn't want the name changed, but they did it anyway.

Back