Good News About My Blood Pressure!

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I thought I would start a new thread because the results have been dramatic to say the least

I just barely passed my last medical with 138/85, but as DR. B & DR. G pointed out high blood pressure is a silent killer. There's were days mine was 160/100 in the morning, and I was unable to get it under 145/ 90! . :hairraise:

Saw a DR and she would not out me on meds until I tried to get it under control naturally. :rolleyes: I was not optimistic, but figured I would give it a try. She had me sit down with a dietician and she was very easy to work with. Here is my list of life changes.

1. Cut out caffeine altogether.
2. Cut salt intake as much as possible. It is amazing how much salt is in what we eat! :eek:
3. Exercise 30 mins 4 times a week + 30 mins of weights.
4. Lose 10 pounds.
5. Track BP every day for 2 weeks and report results.

Well, after 2 weeks, Iost 5 pounds, and my BP is .....

118/ 80 average for the last 3 days. Some readings as low as 108 / 70. :D

The DR. & dietician were literally stunned, & happy as heck! I am so plumped!

Hopefully, anyone with high blood pressure will read this and take the steps I did to help prolong your life, and your flying..... Without taking meds!

No meds, no FAA worries.

:D

Last edited:
To the good DR.s, what would you think was the major problem in my BP being so high?

Salt? I salted everything.
Caffiene? I would drink Monster & Diet Coke all day, now only water, made a rum & coke once in a while. :redface:
I'm fairly active, but now I get cardio typos exercise.
Losing 5 pounds? I'm not over weight really, currently 206, was 214. Will be at 200 in a month. :yes:

Last edited:
I think the salt and caffeine are the big issues. I see people who are drinking coffee and/or soda all day. I have my coffee in the morning and sometimes a soda in the afternoon. We also consume very little salt.

Honestly, I should probably just switch to decaf coffee and soda. I like the taste but would rather save the caffeine actually working for times when I need to be up a long time.

Congratulations on getting this solved naturally! Just goes to show what you can do with a little determination and lifestyle changes rather than meds.

:rollercoaster:

I hope you continue and make the change permanent!

I think the salt and caffeine are the big issues. I see people who are drinking coffee and/or soda all day. I have my coffee in the morning and sometimes a soda in the afternoon. We also consume very little salt.

Honestly, I should probably just switch to decaf coffee and soda. I like the taste but would rather save the caffeine actually working for times when I need to be up a long time.

Congratulations on getting this solved naturally! Just goes to show what you can do with a little determination and lifestyle changes rather than meds.

I think you are right. I don't miss the caffeine at all. Mrs. Dash has a salt substitute that is really good!

Maybe I'll be a better POA person now. ;):lol:

Go Cessna! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Excellent result.

Consider using Morton Lite salt (half sodium and half potassium chloride) or French's NoSalt (potassium chloride) instead of regular table salt. Increased potassium intake may reduce blood pressure as long as you have normal kidney function.

When people whose meals contained little sodium relative to potassium were compared with those whose diets had a high sodium-to-potassium ratio, the latter were nearly 50 percent more likely to die from any cause and more than twice as likely to die from ischemic heart disease during a follow-up period averaging 14.8 years.
high level of sodium in the diet raises blood pressure and the risk of chronic hypertension by stiffening arteries and blocking nitric oxide, which relaxes arteries. Hypertension, in turn, contributes to heart disease and stroke, leading causes of death. Potassium, on the other hand, activates nitric oxide and thus reduces pressure in the arteries, lowering the risk of hypertension
. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/health/high-sodium-to-potassium-ratio-in-diet-is-a-major-heart-risk.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

These data support our findings of reduced CVD risk among subjects with lower sodium intake, higher potassium intake, or both. The 2005 US dietary guidelines54 recommend consumption of potassium-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables, as well as consumption of little salt. The totality of evidence suggests that lowering dietary sodium intake, while increasing potassium consumption, at the population level might reduce the incidence of CVD.http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=414693

These results support previous findings that lowering dietary sodium intake while increasing potassium intake can reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease. http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/january2009/01262009hypertension.htm

Glad you're better, keep it up.

I read some of the RV ads on Barnstormers Friday night.

Now don't fall off the wagon. Can you hack another 10 lbs? I'll bet you're sleeping better, have more energy, and have stopped getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom....(!) :) :)

Is caffeine that big a part of it? I drink a lot of coffee, but I've stopped before without difficulty.

I have not touched a salt shaker in years.

I just need to ditch 20 lb or so.

High Blood pressure is the reason my SIL lost both kidneys and now lives with a donor kidney. a big relief from the dialyses every day.

Congrats,have been off the caffeine for years,also been exercising ,and doing weights feel great. Keep up the good work.

Salt HAS to be a major problem
Ever read the nutrition labels on food?
You can't get away from the stuff (and it's not just meager doses either! It's highly ingrained in all food sold -- especially poultry)
And adding your own salt is just throwing gasoline on an existing bonfire

I stopped adding salt to my food 30 years ago and now I'm very careful about the amount that is in the products I buy.

My own homegrown theory is that in general there is so much sodium added to everything we buy,except fresh fruit and veggies, that using the salt-shaker either in the kitchen or at the table is virtually not required for our health with the caveat that unless we are losing high amounts of salt due to heat/sport/work issues.

Congrats Geico, but like Bruce said keep up the good work. Getting healthy can be about diets, but staying healthy involves lifestyle. Good luck. The outcome is well worth the sacrifices you're making.

Nice work, keep it up, it gets to be second nature! Started a similar plan a year ago, down 25 lbs and brought the pressure down (not that it was high, just high for me).

Lifestyle changes a year old now: I do half-caff coffee in the morning, occasional diet soda in the pm for a boost, limited carbs (esp. processed sugars) and a lot of four mile-ish walks at a quick pace (did the Washington Monument / Supreme Court loop yesterday morning: taking advantage of opportunities for interesting sights like that keep me going). We do most cooking from scratch, so salt has always been 'to taste' in the kitchen, rarely anything at the table.

I splurge on caffeine-free full sugar Coke in my cocktails!

Geico- Great result, congrats.

Is there a correlation between caffeine and high BP?

I have a cup or two in the morning and sometimes iced tea during the day. To be honest, I don't think I can give them up.

Salt.... I agree with the other posters, it's not what you put on food as much as how much is used to package it. It really is hard to minimize unless you do nothing but cook from scratch at home.

Well done, Geico! I limit my caffeine to one diet Pepsi per day, and caffeine free DP the rest of the day, along with water.

I never put salt on anything, but acknowledge it is in everything.

I've got a personal trainer coming to my house 3x/week to kick my ass for an hour, and then try to do one more workout on my own on weekends. I'm sweating buckets after those workouts. Haven't seen a lot of movement on the scale, but the pants fit better.

Geico- Great result, congrats.

Is there a correlation between caffeine and high BP?

I have a cup or two in the morning and sometimes iced tea during the day. To be honest, I don't think I can give them up.

Salt.... I agree with the other posters, it's not what you put on food as much as how much is used to package it. It really is hard to minimize unless you do nothing but cook from scratch at home.
I don't think caffeine is a significant problem but I would avoid it for about 6 hours before a FAA medical exam. Sodium intake (sodium to potassium ratio) and being overweight and out of shape are bigger issues. Here is some advice from Mayo Clinic about caffeine and BP. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00792

That's great, Larry. Keep up the good work. You left off one risk factor for high BP ... the Spin Zone ... haha.

Even though I just fly under SP rules now ... I still pay attention to all that stuff. Checked my BP the other day and it was 107/60. My downfall would be coffee. Love the stuff .. but usually quit drinking it aaround 10 am. I walk each morning about 45 min to 1 hr, gave up soda and only drink water, keep weight 160 to 165 range. I feel pretty good for a geezer.

RT

Excellent result.

Consider using Morton Lite salt (half sodium and half potassium chloride) or French's NoSalt (potassium chloride) instead of regular table salt. Increased potassium intake may reduce blood pressure as long as you have normal kidney function.

When people whose meals contained little sodium relative to potassium were compared with those whose diets had a high sodium-to-potassium ratio, the latter were nearly 50 percent more likely to die from any cause and more than twice as likely to die from ischemic heart disease during a follow-up period averaging 14.8 years.
high level of sodium in the diet raises blood pressure and the risk of chronic hypertension by stiffening arteries and blocking nitric oxide, which relaxes arteries. Hypertension, in turn, contributes to heart disease and stroke, leading causes of death. Potassium, on the other hand, activates nitric oxide and thus reduces pressure in the arteries, lowering the risk of hypertension. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/health/high-sodium-to-potassium-ratio-in-diet-is-a-major-heart-risk.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

These data support our findings of reduced CVD risk among subjects with lower sodium intake, higher potassium intake, or both. The 2005 US dietary guidelines54 recommend consumption of potassium-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables, as well as consumption of little salt. The totality of evidence suggests that lowering dietary sodium intake, while increasing potassium consumption, at the population level might reduce the incidence of CVD.http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=414693

These results support previous findings that lowering dietary sodium intake while increasing potassium intake can reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease. http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/january2009/01262009hypertension.htm

Very interesting reading. I forwarded this to my DR.

Thanks Dr. G!

Last edited:
That's great, Larry. Keep up the good work. You left off one risk factor for high BP ... the Spin Zone ... haha.

Even though I just fly under SP rules now ... I still pay attention to all that stuff. Checked my BP the other day and it was 107/60. My downfall would be coffee. Love the stuff .. but usually quit drinking it aaround 10 am. I walk each morning about 45 min to 1 hr, gave up soda and only drink water, keep weight 160 to 165 range. I feel pretty good for a geezer.

RT

Thanks Roger!

I have always admired the way you are dedicated to working out, eating right, and moderated bad things in your diet.

Very interesting reading. I forwarded this to my DR.

Thanks Dr. G!
A few years ago I was approaching the threshold for BP meds. My average BP was around 140/85. I started exercising, changed my diet to reduce fat and carbs, substituted potassium salt for sodium salt, started eating a square of 90% cocca bar each day and a low dose statin cholesterol pill. I lost over 50 lbs and my cholesterol panel improved enough to go off the statin. My most recent BP was 118/74.

A few years ago I was approaching the threshold for BP meds. My average BP was around 140/85. I started exercising, changed my diet to reduce fat and carbs, substituted potassium salt for sodium salt, started eating a square of 90% cocca bar each day and a low dose statin cholesterol pill. I lost over 50 lbs and my cholesterol panel improved enough to go off the statin. My most recent BP was 118/74.

I recall how you showed up a shell of your former self. Well done.

I just take Hawthorne berry pills. Drink all the coffee I want. Never was big on salt but I don't shy away from anything with it either. I suppose if I ate sprouts and granola and limited myself to 800 calories a day I could live to 150 but I'd be pretty unhappy too.

Making progress with my BP as well I have been taking it more often since we started these discussions. I was in the mid 130s/80 (treated) but for the last couple weeks have been 130/80 or less and the other day recorded 124/75.

I am down 37.6 pounds since mid June trying to knock off at least 100 total. Of course the devil is in keeping it off. I am a pretty active person anyway but definitely feeling a little more skip in my step. I have been very disciplined keeping track of the weight loss as I am curious if there are any trends.
weight_zps3b52fd96.jpg

Last edited:
Good work everybody. Just to help keep your eyes on the ball, take a look at this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Y5hss1tZQ

If you ask me, the pathologist is a prime suspect, himself, for a heart attack. But he does a better job than any hand-drawn diagrams I've seen at conveying just exactly what we're all trying to avoid. That thin fibrous cap that let go and caused the demise of the owner is the very thing we want to strengthen and toughen up so it holds. The deceased, if he were a pilot in the US, would certainly have held a medical right up until the final painful gasp, but the FAA doesn't certify those who find out sooner and then do something to prevent it.

dtuuri

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back