good movies I might not have seen?

Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead - star-studded cast, with Critical Bill…
Pentagon Wars

Last edited:
Just watched Blackberry (2023). Was surprised how good it was considering I'd never heard of it.

I'm getting ready to board a long flight in a couple days, KMCO to KSLC
I have a few youtube videos downloaded, a Rans S-21 builder and a few other things....
but was thinking About downloading a movie or two...but I'm drawing a blank

was thinking about re-watching A Band of Brothers, inspired I think by the Master of the Air series and recent thread here about it....but I've already seen Band of Brothers several times.
from that discussion....I've already seen Greyhound
I'm thinking about Oppenheimer, and probably will go with that one..... but I'm not so sure I'm really into it at the moment.

what other recent aviation, military, or espionage films that are worth watching...in hopes it'll be one I haven't seen or considered.
thanks
Have ya seen Catch 22? Warn your seat mates first that you may start laughing out loud.

Have ya seen Catch 22? Warn your seat mates first that you may start laughing out loud.
Since you opened up the rabbit hole to Alan Arkin movies, Grosse Pointe Blank is pretty funny. Arkin's role as John Cusak's character's psychiatrist is hysterical.

Really depends on your taste, as well as the genre.
For war movies you might not have seen try Beast of War
For an overall top 10 movies ever made you cannot go wrong with Big Trouble in Little China.
Safe travels!

Argo
Amazing mostly true story, great cast (including Alan Arkin) and a brilliant cameo near the end. You won’t recognize the cameo, but I won’t reveal it. You can look it up later.

A pseudo recent one... Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I enjoyed it on a flight a month or so ago. Nice '70's retrospective with a historically inaccurate ending.

An oldie... All the President's Men. Great story about the journalists who uncovered the Watergate story.

Not too fond of Tom, but "Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1" is one heck of a ride. Don't take it seriously, and you'll have a good time. Some *very* good stunt work.

Don't get put off by the "Part 1" in the title... it doesn't have a cliffhanger ending.

Ron Wanttaja

Saw an interesting older movie the other night starring Steve McQueen and a young Candice Bergen , “The Sand Pebbles”, pretty good old school movie.

Last edited:
Aviation related? I like two recent Tom Cruise movies: "American Made" and "Top Gun Maverick". I think that the "Top Gun Maverick" is MUCH better than the original "Top Gun". By the way, Tom Cruise is an accomplished pilot and did all of his character's flying in "American Made". Tom also is the proud owner of a P-51 Mustang.

Just watched Blackberry (2023). Was surprised how good it was considering I'd never heard of it.
Same. I watched it because of Glenn Howerton from It's Always Sunny.

Aviation related? I like two recent Tom Cruise movies: "American Made" and "Top Gun Maverick". I think that the "Top Gun Maverick" is MUCH better than the original "Top Gun". By the way, Tom Cruise is an accomplished pilot and did all of his character's flying in "American Made". Tom also is the proud owner of a P-51 Mustang.
The ending scene is HIS P-51.

The General with Brendan Gleeson

True story

Just got finished watching The Bridge of Spies. Based on the true story of captured U2 pilot Gary Powers' prisoner exchange release.

Watched the first two episodes of Terminal List... after 15 minutes we played "guess the next scene!"... pretty easy to do. Can fast forward to the action scenes and not miss anything.

For aviation related? Little Dieter Needs to Fly
German American pilot capture and escape from Vietnam.

Hustle was a pretty good movie. Basketball scout finds some top talent.

Not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but he as some good movies
American Made. Has planes in it.

I like Edge of Tomorrow because he dies a lot in it

I also liked Oblivion

one of my favorite movies. Never Cry Wold. Disney movie from the 80s

It doesn't meet the OP's selection criteria but Godzilla Minus One is the best movie I've seen in a long time. Good luck finding it now that it's out of theaters, but worth the effort.

Nauga,
semper lacertis

It doesn't meet the OP's selection criteria but Godzilla Minus One is the best movie I've seen in a long time. Good luck finding it now that it's out of theaters, but worth the effort.

Nauga,
semper lacertis
I’m glad I’m not the only one. When it was over I said to myself, “Self, THAT was actually a really good movie!”

Back