good movies I might not have seen?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
I'm getting ready to board a long flight in a couple days, KMCO to KSLC
I have a few youtube videos downloaded, a Rans S-21 builder and a few other things....
but was thinking About downloading a movie or two...but I'm drawing a blank

was thinking about re-watching A Band of Brothers, inspired I think by the Master of the Air series and recent thread here about it....but I've already seen Band of Brothers several times.
from that discussion....I've already seen Greyhound
I'm thinking about Oppenheimer, and probably will go with that one..... but I'm not so sure I'm really into it at the moment.

what other recent aviation, military, or espionage films that are worth watching...in hopes it'll be one I haven't seen or considered.
thanks

Asteroid City.
Not really what you've asked for, but an interesting brain twister with a heavy dose of satire and a good amount of "what did I just watch?". Not your typical Hollywood production, definitely a love it or hate it movie.

Short list....

Range 15
Teeth
Sharknado series

Oh, you said good movies. Right.

X-Files movies (since the series, all of them.)
UFO (with Gillian Anderson)
U-571
Bourne series
Yada yada yada. Watch whatever you are in the mood for.

I don't consider that to be a long flight. SFO to HKG on the other hand...

Zombie Satire Thriller. I know some of the guys behind that movie from my .mil days; highly recommended, but most appreciated by folks with a .mil background.
Those guys are really getting around with their Black Rifle Coffee Company, and some of their Youtube videos with them embedded in active units are pretty good and informative too.

Slow Horses (appleTV+)

Good characters surrounded by espionage. Nice, compact six episode seasons I’ve been watching on transcontinental flights.

Really? C'mon.... Down Periscope was better than that one, and we got to see Lt Lake almost out of uniform.

There are much better submarine movies to watch before one should resort to U-571.
I kind of liked it, it's a great movie to show for management training purposes.

The Hunt for Red October is a classic submarine movie, but when Ramius commandeers and dives his submarine all by himself (nevermind you need a minimum of ten plus crewmembers to even drive the thing around on the surface) it kind of got a little bit over the top.

K19 is pretty good, and based on a true story of a Soviet submarine disaster.

This what, a 3 hour flight?????? And you are talking about taking a LOT to watch.

A LONG flight is over 10 hours. Longest I have taken is 17.5 hours. Yes, non-stop.

Those guys are really getting around with their Black Rifle Coffee Company, and some of their Youtube videos with them embedded in active units are pretty good and informative too.

BRCC is one group of guys associated with the movie. Nick Palmisciano/Ranger Up (shirts/apparel) is another group of guys behind it, too. Mat Best and Jarred Taylor are kind of where/how the streams crossed. IIRC, Nick wrote/co-wrote the script and between him, Best, and JT, they decided to crowd source production and distribution with the intent of showing the value a group of veterans can make. Lots of production, support, and acting was done by veterans.

Going on eight years later, there’s a huge path now for veterans into TV & Film that wasn’t there before. Good on them.

Last edited:
Reacher season 1 is worth a watch on Prime. Season 2 is available also, but I found it a bit dark and mopey.

It is military adjacent as Reacher is a retired MP.

some good ones here...and some I can't find at all....
We have really enjoyed Reacher and we're all caught up on that one
ditto Bourne...although I have been threatening to go back to the original one to show my wife what it was before the remake series. I remember watching that one way back in the day and really enjoying it. very different than the modern remakes though...very slow in comparison.

I'm not so into the x-files and UFO stuff

I can't find the Zombie one...

I've seen all the sub movies....but that reminds me. I've read several WW2 submariner biographies. I got into them a few years ago when I ran out of aviation biographies to read. They are awesome stories. Maybe I'll pull out one of my books by Adm.Fluckey or Adm Richard O'Kane...or I think I have some others and re-read one of those....

Slow Horses and the Terminal List both look like something my wife might also enjoy.

This what, a 3 hour flight?????? And you are talking about taking a LOT to watch.

A LONG flight is over 10 hours. Longest I have taken is 17.5 hours. Yes, non-stop.
yeah, sure...all relative. This one is 5:17, ...and I'll probably take the middle seat so my young daughter doesn't have to sit next to some stranger. so long enough to get plenty bored...but not long enough that I'll likely sleep.
That's the thing... the 6ish/7ish hour flights to Europe that I've taken are overnights so it's easier to get some sleep to cancel out a few hours of boredom. I've never had the pleasure of anything longer than that.

This one will be Spirit airlines, and I understand they do not have inflight movie screens onboard.

some good ones here...and some I can't find at all....
We have really enjoyed Reacher and we're all caught up on that one
ditto Bourne...although I have been threatening to go back to the original one to show my wife what it was before the remake series. I remember watching that one way back in the day and really enjoying it. very different than the modern remakes though...very slow in comparison.

I'm not so into the x-files and UFO stuff

I can't find the Zombie one...

I've seen all the sub movies....but that reminds me. I've read several WW2 submariner biographies. I got into them a few years ago when I ran out of aviation biographies to read. They are awesome stories. Maybe I'll pull out one of my books by Adm.Fluckey or Adm Richard O'Kane...or I think I have some others and re-read one of those....

Slow Horses and the Terminal List both look like something my wife might also enjoy.

yeah, sure...all relative. This one is 5:17, ...and I'll probably take the middle seat so my young daughter doesn't have to sit next to some stranger. so long enough to get plenty bored...but not long enough that I'll likely sleep.
That's the thing... the 6ish/7ish hour flights to Europe that I've taken are overnights so it's easier to get some sleep to cancel out a few hours of boredom. I've never had the pleasure of anything longer than that.

This one will be Spirit airlines, and I understand they do not have inflight movie screens onboard.
Have you seen the French submarine movie The Wolf's Call? It was pretty good for a French submarine movie. So much better the the Hunter Killer fiasco that came out a year before it.

Reacher season 1 is worth a watch on Prime. Season 2 is available also, but I found it a bit dark and mopey.

It is military adjacent as Reacher is a retired MP.
I just recently saw the Jack Reacher movie (from 2012, with Tom Cruise) and it wasn't bad. It was a lot closer to the actual book by Lee Child than most other movie adaptations of written novels.

I like the Bourne movies, and I like the books by Robert Ludlum, but the written versions and the movie versions of the same story aren't even recognizable.

The Hunt for Red October is a classic submarine movie
Das Boot will always be in the top spot, with everything else a distant second.
Great for management training as well.
Not a movie I'd recommend for airplane viewing, needs a large screen and a good surround sound system for total immersion.

Back on topic, you should watch Airplane!

I fully expect Walmart Airlines to start charging for breathing air in the near future. They'll try to find a loophole in the reg that requires them to provide fresh air to passengers.

Flight of the Intruder wasn't bad, although the electronic bomb directors on the A6's resembling a 1980's Atari console looked a little ridiculous.

Non aviation related, but Blackberry was pretty good and Glenn Howerton was really good.

I kind of liked it, it's a great movie to show for management training purposes.

The Hunt for Red October is a classic submarine movie, but when Ramius commandeers and dives his submarine all by himself (nevermind you need a minimum of ten plus crewmembers to even drive the thing around on the surface) it kind of got a little bit over the top.

K19 is pretty good, and based on a true story of a Soviet submarine disaster.
Das Boat is the first, last, best submarine movie ever. It is the Master and Commander of submarine movies.

I seem to re-watch Fury about every time I see it come on, good WW2 tank flick. The Imitation Game is another WW2 film about decoding the German enigma machines.

…I can't find the Zombie one...

Zombeavers. It’s like a war movie. War with beavers that have turned into zombies (as the movie name creatively and discretely implies)

The Imitation Game is pretty good.

I just recently saw the Jack Reacher movie (from 2012, with Tom Cruise) and it wasn't bad. It was a lot closer to the actual book by Lee Child than most other movie adaptations of written novels.
Except Tom Cruise is maybe a 50% scale model of the Jack Reacher of the novels.

Flight of the Intruder wasn't bad, although the electronic bomb directors on the A6's resembling a 1980's Atari console looked a little ridiculous.
That is my favorite aviation flick.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Pushing Tin yet, it's the Scrubs equivalent for ATC.

Apocalypse now
Big lebowski
Casablanca
The big sleep
More recently- past lives is the best film of the 21st century.

Oh, and saving Private Ryan.

Really? C'mon.... Down Periscope was better than that one, and we got to see Lt Lake almost out of uniform.

There are much better submarine movies to watch before one should resort to U-571.
U-571 was a fine account of the heroic actions of the US Navy to capture the sub (actually the U-110), and with it the first Enigma code machine to fall into Allied hands.

Of course, one has to overlook details like the fact that it was the British who captured the sub and the Enigma...

Forgot about The Big Lebowski... excellent

Reminds me.... Fargo, Miller's Crossing, No Country For Old Men, Raising Arizona

Because the ones in the actual airplane are from the 60s. 80s Atari would be a HUGE upgrade. :D

BTW, Fore Flight works on board. So you can track yourself.

Flight Aware will have the flight plan and a link to Open in ForeFlight. Loads the FP into FF, and away you go.

what other recent aviation, military, or espionage films that are worth watching...in hopes it'll be one I haven't seen or considered.
thanks

Must it be recent? I could probably recommend some great movies but no one would dare call them recent... Like Witness for the Prosecution. It's a great who-dun-it but it came out in... uh... OH! 1957

Back