Good Headset under $400?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Hello, all!

One of the outcomes of this past flight was that I find I need to get another headset. My wife loves my BOSE, but there's only one of those. (Pardon the rhyme!) My #2 headset is a passive David Clarke, I think an H20-something. I like that headset, but my wife finds it too "clampy." Is there anything out there under $400, passive or active, that doesn't use too much clamping force?

Thanks!
Ben

PS: we probably ought to buy two more headsets anyway. Maybe for X-mas or something.

Try the Pilot 1771 DNC II. They are very light (They took the battery out of the earcup.) Ear cups might be smaller than average. My wife likes hers.

Also some Telix models have adjustable pressure.

Ben Try the Telex ANR 150 i love mine nad they are adjustable for tension, by flipping a block on either side Dave G

I like the David Clark H10-13.4 headsets myself. I'm sure I'd love a Bose or one of the other ANR headsets but I don't like the price. The David Clark 13.4 headsets are passive and they don't leave you feeling like your head is in a vice. I have worn mine for up to six hours at a time without a problem and they cost around $250.00. They come in either mono or stereo models. The stereo model has a switch to go between stereo and mono depending on your intercom system.

I used to use a David Clark H10-20 and my God were those things uncomfortable. I not only felt like my head was in a vice but that hard rubber head pad left grooves in my scalp.

Jeannie

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
Hello, all!

One of the outcomes of this past flight was that I find I need to get another headset. My wife loves my BOSE, but there's only one of those. (Pardon the rhyme!) My #2 headset is a passive David Clarke, I think an H20-something. I like that headset, but my wife finds it too "clampy." Is there anything out there under $400, passive or active, that doesn't use too much clamping force?

Thanks!
Ben

PS: we probably ought to buy two more headsets anyway. Maybe for X-mas or something.
For non-clampiness, Lightspeed. My wife's headset of choice.

Own Telex ANR, Telex ANR 2000, Pilot 1771, Pilot 1779, Softcomm D4 with Headsets Inc ANR retrofit, and Lightspeed 15, in addition to the usual DC 10.30s etc.

ejensen said:
Try the Pilot 1771 DNC II. They are very light (They took the battery out of the earcup.) Ear cups might be smaller than average. My wife likes hers. .

Ditto on the Pilot. I have the Pilot 1779 with the battery in the earcup. The advantage of that is you have no extra power cord or power pack. The disadvantage is the weight of the battery hanging on your head.

I only gave my Pilot to passengers and got my DRE ENC 6000 because the Pilots have almost no passive capability. When that battery goes you have little protection. What gets you the passive capability in the DREs is the very clamping pressure you don't want.

My favorite in this category is the DRE 6000. ANR, near-audiophile quality stereo speakers/reproduction, batteries or ship's power, acceptable passive noise reduction in the case of failure, built like a brick outhouse.

Ken Ibold said:
My favorite in this category is the DRE 6000. ANR, near-audiophile quality stereo speakers/reproduction, batteries or ship's power, acceptable passive noise reduction in the case of failure, built like a brick outhouse.
Imagines slipping a brick outhouse over my ears... Ouch!!!
:D

Ben,

My wife has similar complaints about my DC H10-13.4s which I use regularly with no problems. I've been thinking about getting her a Lightspeed L1 set (1 oz) but have not heard much about them. Anybody here have experience/opinions?

Last edited:
Our local neighborhood flight shop has headsets on display, hooked up to a scanner. You can go, put 'em on, and listen to your delight.

That's a good way to get a first-cut at what headsets might fit well.

drhunt said:
My wife has similar complaints about my DC H10-13.4s which I use regularly with no problems. I've been thinking about getting her a Lightspeed L1 set (5 oz) but have not heard much about them. Anybody here have experience/opinions?
I have a set of the Quiet Technologies Auricomm, which was the genesis of the L1 after Lightspeed licensed the technology from QT. I love it. Very cool and comfortable -- and no headset hair. However, my wife cannot stand having plugs in her ears. She'd rather wear the Lightspeed 25XL.

Ken Ibold said:
I have a set of the Quiet Technologies Auricomm, which was the genesis of the L1 after Lightspeed licensed the technology from QT. I love it. Very cool and comfortable -- and no headset hair. However, my wife cannot stand having plugs in her ears. She'd rather wear the Lightspeed 25XL.

I've been thinking of trying the Mach 1 in ear offering from LightSpeed. I currently have several "conventional" LightSpeed ANR headsets and an in-ear model from Clarity Aloft. And IMO the in-ear I have unit isn't anywhere near as quiet as ANR even though the company claims otherwise. It does do a great job at higher frequencies, but down aroun 100-120 Hz where much of the noise in my Baron cabin exists, it's noticeably louder. I'm wondering if LS's Mach 1 is any better, although I can't see how it could be quieter than anything else plugging my ears.

Try Peltor ... you'll be glad you did.

If you want to try my pair for a test flight, you are welcome to do so. I've converted them to ANR to boot. In your area ... Columbia, MD.

wangmyers said:
Hello, all!

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited:
Wow!!! Thanks so much, guys, for all of the input! I really didn't realize there are so many options!

Ben, there are quite a few choices in th3 $400 range for a good ANR. From LightSpeed there's the 20XLc (new) and refurbed 20XL's and if you're willing to wait a while (they put your name on a list) a refurbed 25XLc. I also like the DRE and I've heard good things about Peltior.

bbchien said:
For non-clampiness, Lightspeed.

Ben,

Another vote for Lightspeed. I bought my 20-3G's at Sporty's ($435), where I could try them (and many others) on before buying. Since then, I have used them for listening to music outside the plane as well - Stupendous audio quality. I can listen to classical music and hear the keys clicking on the woodwinds, even while driving down the highway! The Lightspeeds are the only headset to include the cell phone and music interface, patent pending. That makes them much more useful than just a plain old aviation headset.

Also since then, I've had a 4.8 hour leg in the plane with them on and a couple of 8+ hour listening sessions outside the plane with them, and I really haven't had any problems with discomfort except for if I'm already hot and they get sweaty.

I got to try the Lightspeed Mach 1 in-ear headset at Oshkosh as well. Though it is passive-only, it has amazing noise reduction properties and won't mess up your hair. It also has the cell/music interface. I may buy one of these, especially if our club purchases a DA40, simply for extra headroom as the traditional Lightspeed headsets have a rather thick head pad (to go with my thick head! :rofl:).

Hope this helps,

Kent

I've been using Flighcom Denali's for a few years and they are EXTREMELY comfortable for the full 4 hour run in the 172.

Ben,
You are looking for a headset for yourself, right? You have spent a large amount of money on your passion for flying, so I think it's only fair that your wife should get the Bose!

Paul Allen said:
Ben,
You are looking for a headset for yourself, right? You have spent a large amount of money on your passion for flying, so I think it's only fair that your wife should get the Bose!

LOL!!! I actually have two headsets--one Bose (a gift, wouldn't have been able to buy for myself), and a David Clarke H20-10 which I got on Ebay. The wife far prefers the Bose!

I really like my Pilots, I forget which number - 1771? 1772? 1779? it has ANR - battery pack sits in your lap - at least that is where I put it, I think the battery pack would disengage from the cord if it wasn't being supported.

woodstock said:
I really like my Pilots, I forget which number - 1771? 1772? 1779? it has ANR - battery pack sits in your lap - at least that is where I put it, I think the battery pack would disengage from the cord if it wasn't being supported.

On my Pilot 1779, There is a small screw that holds a clip over the battery. If you loosen it a little, you can slide that clip over the chart pouches and it pretty much stays out of your way.

Ben;
It really is a personal preference. After listining to the 30 or 40th story like this, the best you can do is take your bride to the nearest store and let her try out a pair of whatever. Have your card handy because it might cost you. I have a pair of sigtronics that date back to my training days and (mine) dave clarks I bought to treat me to the PPL gift.
So overall, it is personal preference. Trial and error.
My friend likes TELEX 100 ECHELON. Over my Sigs!?! What's with that!?!
Whatever she likes, get it. You will not be disappointed.

woodstock said:

In the Mooney, the battery sits on the floor with no trouble.

Back