Good god almighty! How have I missed this for 26 years? {NA}

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Man - I woke up today, looked outside, and saw sun. Its 46 degrees. Time to take my new bike out for a spin. I decided to ride the bike to the MVD to get it registered (after getting insurance). Stayed to residentials the whole way, just to be safe (I'm really new to this), and man did I have a blast.

Coming back from the MVD, I got out on the real roads for a bit, getting up a bit more speed. I tell you what, riding a bike is probably the most exhillerating thing I've ever done. So much fun, and at a really cheap cost. I probably rode for about 5 hours today, filled up the tank, and spent just north of $6 to do it.

I can't believe I chickened out of buying one for so long. Its the best decision I ever made. I really don't want to drive my cars anywhere anymore!

Attachments

• IMAGE_044.jpg
    IMAGE_044.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
so much for staying in the parking lot for a while, eh nick? :)

Be careful out there. Try to take all the sensibilities you've learned flying and apply them to motorcycling. Remember you're flying solo with a plan to go get some training later on.
-harry

Welcome to the real world. Like the boys said, all gear all the time. Take it easy, and remember that you are completely invisible to all the cagers who are all actively trying to kill you (the last may not be literally true, but if you think that way you'll live longer).

And of course, enjoy.

Last edited:
I have "poisoned" all three of my kids in the last month. My youngest wants to take the bike ALWAYS, but for now I'm sticking with the car when it's under 50 degrees.

Motorcycling is a real blast, isn't it? There's really nothing like it. One of my favorite quotes, taken from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance":

"In a car, you watch the scenery as you drive by. On a motorcycle you're part of the scenery as you ride by"

Or something to that effect. Either way, read the book. It's one of my favorites.

I've been riding on and off for the past 4 years. For the first three bikes I bought them in the winter and sold them in the spring with the intention of upgrading (which I did). Then I sold the third bike after I'd convinced myself that riding was too dangerous, but then I decided I missed riding so I got another motorcycle in December. We'll see whether I keep this one or not. The PoA motorcycle meet would be good motivation to keep it. In the first few days of ownership, I rode the thing a couple hours a day - and this was in winter in New York City!

Welcome to the world of riding! Remember the gear every time! :)

Last edited:
Well Nick, you're still better off than my sister. She married young and raised a family. Regular house in the country kinda thing, while my brother and I never fully matured and had every kind of fun available. All of the sudden, kids out of the house, husband wants a divorce. (Actually just wanted a girlfriend, GOT the Divorce). So she moves out and I give her an apt. at my rental. Next thing you know at 50 years old, she asks me to test drive a bike for her. Used Suzuki 500. Ran good, felt good, decent price and now she's a biker chick.

I stopped by the apt yesterday and there's a plaque in the window with a picture of a bike and the caption "You never see motorcycles parked at a therapists office". She's now in the best frame of mind ever, and can't wait till warm weather (Upstate NY)

I'll skip the usual safety spiel, others will chime in, but keep your head on a swivel and always leave yourself an out. Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

People are told to check for cars. They are not told to look for motorcycles. As Stiegar said you will be invisible out there so do not assume. I taught driver education for 25 years 1700 begining 15 year olds how to drive. When you assume it can make an a$$ out of U an Me too.. Be careful out there as they used to say in NY blue. But have fun. Bob

You know you're completely gone when you keep getting lost on your way someplace. Monday was in the high sixties. Took me 50 something miles to find the house that's normally only 12 miles from work.

Just remember your TIS system is not working. Nor is your SRS airbag.

And, WEAR A HELMET! From personal experience, it can save your life.

Last edited:
Unless you have the new Gold Wing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dDjMfrllxhI
Might have made the difference for this guy:

WARNING: The BELOW link is not for those with a weak stomach. If you don't want to see someone that is very--very dead don't click below. The only reason that I post this is to remind those of us that ride to be safe.
http://jesseangell.com/forums/bikecrash/

Is there a person in that wreckage?

ohhh...scroll down. yikes.

He was wearing all of his gear.

Last edited:
He was wearing all of his gear.
Gear doesn't do you any good when you smack the back of a large object at high speed. That is an awful lot of energy coming to an immediate stop.

That type of accident has been happening since cycles were invented.

A highschool friend was riding a Dual Glide at about 100 hit a 58 buick head on closing speed as about 150 MPH he and the motorcycle went thru the windshield and killed him and both people in the car.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

I rode a 66XLCH/stroker/fuelly, 230,000 miles, and was down in the street/freeway 9 times, ride with care and always wear the gear.

it is a bunch of fun.

I have been riding bikes for over 35 years and riding offensively is far safer than riding defensively. Know where you are going at all times and get there. Bikes get out of the way fast. You slow down and him and haw over what the other gut might do and sure as not they will run you over. Just like in a plane have and out and use it don't wait. You wait around on a bike and they will run you over.

Dan

I stopped by the apt yesterday and there's a plaque in the window with a picture of a bike and the caption "You never see motorcycles parked at a therapists office".

I like that! It's a very good point, too. Riding motorcycles is a great form of therapy. A few years ago on September 11th (would've been the 4th anniversary) I was feeling down, as usual. Probably always will on that day since I watched it all happen out the window my senior year of high school. I got on the motorcycle and went out riding for a couple hours. Nowhere in particular, just went.

A few hours later, I felt a lot better.

I'll also agree with the riding offensively thing. If you're comfortable with the power of your bike and use it accordingly, that will save your life. I know that has saved mine more than once.

I have been riding bikes for over 35 years and riding offensively is far safer than riding defensively. Know where you are going at all times and get there. Bikes get out of the way fast. You slow down and him and haw over what the other gut might do and sure as not they will run you over. Just like in a plane have and out and use it don't wait. You wait around on a bike and they will run you over.

Dan

To seemingly opposite meaning words to describe the same thing I suppose. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

I've been riding for over two decades, on more bikes than I can count, in three different countries for hundreds of thousands of miles. I have been down exactly once, which I described in the pages of this here forum. All the cagers are trying to kill you all the time. They will do the dumbest thing imaginable right in front of you. Always.

My crash was because a pedestrian walked right in front of my speeding bike against a light. Always stupid, all the time. Ride smart. Ride well. Ride on.

I really don't want to drive my cars anywhere anymore!

I ride to work nearly every dry day, but have been limiting my rain commuting. Must be age, I used to commute by bike rain or shine.

I have "poisoned" all three of my kids in the last month. My youngest wants to take the bike ALWAYS, but for now I'm sticking with the car when it's under 50 degrees.

I cut off at about 95F for the high, and 30F for the low. Hotter/colder than that, and I take the car.

I ride the heat no matter how bad, that's what vented gear is for. Of course, it doesn't really get that hot in the frozen North. I was going to try and ride the whole winter, but the exigencies of my crash forced the realization that there are limits, at least up here.

I cut off at about 95F for the high, and 30F for the low. Hotter/colder than that, and I take the car.
When I was in college I ran my bike all winter. In Wisconsin. Less than 20, though, and I'd take the bus. I didn't have a car.

I'm OK with 50, but I'm warmer blooded than the kids are, so I don't want to turn them off to it by pushing the cold side. Below 50 and, well, I'll move farther south.

You know you're completely gone when you keep getting lost on your way someplace. Monday was in the high sixties. Took me 50 something miles to find the house that's normally only 12 miles from work.

I went to the gas station to fill up last summer. FOUR miles. I mean how hard could it be? Turns out, it takes 2 tanks of gas and most of the day to get there...and I still came home with an empty tank.

As for safety: ATGATT means full face helmet. Nothing less provides adequate face protection if you go down. Also DO NOT pull up on the bumper of a vehicle at a stop light and cross your arms like you're a hero like a lot of motorcycles do. You do not leave yourself an exit if you do that. Stay back a bit and watch your mirrors like a fat mouse at a starving hawk get together. That way when some speeding comatose driver doesn't see the stopped vehicles in front of them, you can escape between lanes and not become a motorcycle sandwich. (BTDT)

I ride the heat no matter how bad, that's what vented gear is for.

Vented gear only works when there is at least some kind of temperature gradient between you and the environment. Last year, I rode home one evening when it was 106F, and after a mile or two I stopped and zipped up/sealed every vent tight. Collar up, full face helmet closed tight as I could get it.

It was actually cooler to seal out the blast of hot air.

For me, commuting, above 95F is no longer fun, and I'd rather be in the cage with the A/C chillin'.

As for safety: ATGATT means full face helmet. Nothing less provides adequate face protection if you go down. Also DO NOT pull up on the bumper of a vehicle at a stop light and cross your arms like you're a hero like a lot of motorcycles do. You do not leave yourself an exit if you do that. Stay back a bit and watch your mirrors like a fat mouse at a starving hawk get together. That way when some speeding comatose driver doesn't see the stopped vehicles in front of them, you can escape between lanes and not become a motorcycle sandwich. (BTDT)

In addition to that, I keep the bike in gear at stop signs/lights ready to go.

One of my friends just got his motorcycle license. I've been training him my way, and it hasn't taken very well, partially because he's still got a significantly worse case of the "I know everything" attitude than I do (strangely enough, I was always a big proponent of ATGATT). He uses the "Well I won't ride very much" as an excuse, which, while it does statistically reduce your chances of getting in an accident, is no excuse for not practicing good safety behavior.

Biggest advantages you have on a motorcycle are that you're small (can fit into small places) and fast (can get out of situations quickly). That's the best way to keep out of accidents.

Motorcycling is the one activity I've been a part of where I actually know a good number of people who've been injured or killed while doing it. I will say that about 80% of the accidents were completely preventable, though, it was stupidity of the rider that caused it. The rest were stupidity of the motorists in 4-wheeled vehicles.

What ****es me off is when I see motorcyclists who give other motorcyclists (like me) a bad name. Last weekend I was driving the truck with a trailer with a car on it, and I see a motorcycle coming up behind me (I always pay special attention to other motorcycles). I put my right turn signal on to change lanes, and when I get to be about 1/3 of the way over into the right lane (from the middle lane, and the left lane was clear), this guy then decides to pass me - on the right, with a left lane that was perfectly clear. If I hadn't been looking for him, I would've run him off the road or run over him. Either way, he makes the rest of us look bad. I hate people like that.

My first motorcycle I ran through the winter as my commuter vehicle to school. Only time I didn't run it was when there was snow. I actually rode home in snow once (about 2"), that was fun. My second motorcycle I rode through the winter, as well, mostly on 70 mile trips one way.

For me, it's not fun to have to get all the gear on to go to work, and then take it all off when I get here, then have to put it all on again to go home, because it's a hassle. If I'm going to put the gear on, I want it to be for a fun trip, i.e. I don't have to take it off when I get where I'm going. Even if I'm just riding to go get ice cream, that's fine. Maybe once the weather gets nice when I go to New York for weekends I'll leave the dog at the kennel and then ride the bike in. :)

Last edited:
Man - I woke up today, looked outside, and saw sun. Its 46 degrees. Time to take my new bike out for a spin. I decided to ride the bike to the MVD to get it registered (after getting insurance). Stayed to residentials the whole way, just to be safe (I'm really new to this), and man did I have a blast.

Coming back from the MVD, I got out on the real roads for a bit, getting up a bit more speed. I tell you what, riding a bike is probably the most exhillerating thing I've ever done. So much fun, and at a really cheap cost. I probably rode for about 5 hours today, filled up the tank, and spent just north of $6 to do it.

I can't believe I chickened out of buying one for so long. Its the best decision I ever made. I really don't want to drive my cars anywhere anymore!
I owned a Honda CX650 for several years. It was a good bike. :)

Vented gear only works when there is at least some kind of temperature gradient between you and the environment. Last year, I rode home one evening when it was 106F, and after a mile or two I stopped and zipped up/sealed every vent tight. Collar up, full face helmet closed tight as I could get it.

It was actually cooler to seal out the blast of hot air.

For me, commuting, above 95F is no longer fun, and I'd rather be in the cage with the A/C chillin'.

I can't disagree with the sentiment, it just doesn't get that hot here. If it did, I'd stop riding if it was too hot for gear.

Nick, if you haven't checked out Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding courses, you might want to do that - you can learn a lot, in a controlled environment. It could well save your butt.

I went to the gas station to fill up last summer. FOUR miles. I mean how hard could it be? Turns out, it takes 2 tanks of gas and most of the day to get there...and I still came home with an empty tank.

PLUS keep it in first gear, hand on the clutch - that way if things look like they're going south, you're ready to get the heck out of there. Sitting there relaxed, in neutral, is a good way to die.

PLUS keep it in first gear, hand on the clutch - that way if things look like they're going south, you're ready to get the heck out of there. Sitting there relaxed, in neutral, is a good way to die.
ALWAYS assume that any car you can see is being driven by the father of a 16 year old girl you knocked up and is about to try to purposefully take you out.

In other words: Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!!

To seemingly opposite meaning words to describe the same thing I suppose. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

I think so, I just have the frame of mind when I ride that I see the whole field and move through like they are not there. To me that means offensive.

My wife on the other hand moves through and wonders the whole time what they are going to do. When something happens she slows down waits wonders then acts. To me that means defensive.

I am not a wild rider by no means. I think it is more a frame of mind.

Dan

Please, oh please be careful if you choose to weave through rush hour. I'm tired of bikes almost hitting my side mirror. When we're doing 10-15mph on the freeway, us 'cagers' can't move out your way too fast even when we see you coming up at 30-40 mph.

In addition to that, I keep the bike in gear at stop signs/lights ready to go.

Obviously if it's not in gear, you can't escape. :dunno:

One of my friends just got his motorcycle license. I've been training him my way, and it hasn't taken very well, partially because he's still got a significantly worse case of the "I know everything" attitude than I do (strangely enough, I was always a big proponent of ATGATT). He uses the "Well I won't ride very much" as an excuse, which, while it does statistically reduce your chances of getting in an accident, is no excuse for not practicing good safety behavior.

The one time I went down was on a safe road in safe conditions. Less than 3 seconds before impact, I knew I was totally safe. Then the oncoming traffic deliberately crossed the centerline, put me up against the side of the road just long enough that I couldn't negotiate the upcoming turn. Aim for minimal damage and dump energy all the way until the bang into the ditch. This was a case of riding more kept me proficient enough to minimize the damage when I got ejected off and onto my face. Riding less would have likely resulted in much worse damage to me and the bike. Tell your friend that one and ask him what he would have done if he didn't have the instinctive motor skills to put the bike at the top of the friction curve and leave it there until the front wheel left the road. Riding less may statistically reduce the chances of a crash, however IMO it increases the overall damage potential once the problems start.

Storal of the Mory: It's not a cumulative statistical equation based on a previous safety record. The odds are reset every single time you mount up. If you don't wear your gear, stay proficient and humble, you get what you deserve.

It's a pain in the empennage to put $1000 of gear on to go 1/2 a mile to get a gallon of milk, but it's better than the alternative.

Thanks for the story, Frank. I've told him no shortage of them, but he's got his position and is sticking to it. I convinced him to get full gear, at least, so maybe with time I'll wear him down. At the very least, I should be able to convince him to go riding with me when I'm out there, and that will help keep him more proficient.

I agree completely on the riding frequently to maintain proficiency will help you when have problems. Same goes for any skill set. I also understand his point, though, about only wanting to ride on nice days. Everyone has to decide what they want to do with their license once they get it... but it's still important to know well enough what you're doing to make sure you aren't a hazard to yourself and others.

I agree. there is a guy on the Suzuki boards that is proof of that. His 1400 was totalled, but he escaped with a fractured leg. Sitting at a light, 4 feet from someones rear bumper, in neutral when he got rear ended. Suzuki sandwich. :eek: I always take up as much room as a car if I can, and leave it in gear. My gear includes chaps, boots, jacket and full face, and an array of gloves, depending on the weather.

I don't ride, but my brother does. One day, he was cruising down a busy four-lane road in Phoenix, doing the posted speed limit of 40 mph. A "cager" (great term, BTW, I'll have to tell him about that one) pulled out and turned onto the road 100 ft in front of him. There was a car beside him, so he couldn't swerve, so he hit the brakes. He ended up standing it on his front wheel, but somehow was able to feather the brakes just right so that he didn't flip and stopped just short of slamming into the car. To add a bit more poignance to this story, this was no ordinary cager - it was a Phoenix police car, who wound up stopping with my brother (who had pulled into a parking lot to try to get his heart beating again and contemplating the meaning of life) and apologizing profusely, saying that he never even saw my brother coming. He also complimented him on the bike handling, saying that as soon as he saw the bike go up on the front wheel he was sure my brother was coming through his driver's side window and onto his lap.

My brother does practice ATGATT, including a full-face helmet, in Phoenix, in the summer.

Back