Good GA aritcle

"
Others cite the costs of flight training and operating and maintaining a plane as a contributor to the decline in pilots. It can cost $8,000 to $10,000 to train and to obtain a pilot's license, and then $200 or more an hour to rent a plane, says Michael Miller, an aviation consultant for The Velocity Group. "

$200/hr? Just what does he think we're renting? And it sure didn't cost me $8000 to get my PP cert, either.

Otherwise a nice article. Quite a surprise for USA Today.

"
Others cite the costs of flight training and operating and maintaining a plane as a contributor to the decline in pilots. It can cost $8,000 to $10,000 to train and to obtain a pilot's license, and then $200 or more an hour to rent a plane, says Michael Miller, an aviation consultant for The Velocity Group. "

$200/hr? Just what does he think we're renting? And it sure didn't cost me $8000 to get my PP cert, either.

I didn't look at the numbers, but, in a high cost area like LA or NYC, I could see PPL costing $8k.

One of the guys in our school was out in LA recently during a contract. He said average Skyhawk rental was $225/hr, wet. Between California's tax on fuel and California sales tax, I wouldn't be surprised.

Here in the mid-priced midwest, within the last two years, just under $7,000.00. Maybe I'm a slow learner......

This is crazy. It would be cheaper for them to come out here for a couple months, rent an apartment, and get their license.

www.greencastle-aeroclub.com

Rates just went UP, 150's are now 50 bucks an hour, plus a 3 or 4 dollar fuel surcharge.

Mine was around $6500 with an employee discount. Although I think my instructor was just curious how many times I'd freak out with the floating pen trick before I learned how to grab the controls from him.... hmmm LOL j/k

These are the prices for Oklahama State university and they're actualy....kinda cheap! (I rent a 172N for $95 an hour at home in FL)

Cessna 152 - $70 Flight instruction - $22
Cessna 172P - $83
Cessna 172R - $96
Cessna 172RG - $100
Beech BE76 - $159

Okay, the DUTCHAS is cheaper to fly here than a skyhawk in some places!

Last edited:

Wow, those are cheap prices! I thought they had to be dry rates at first, but NO, those are wet! You have a good deal going out there!

Our IFR 172 is $75, and that is on a winter special from the normal $88.

Our Archer III is $106, compared to your Cherokee 180 at $68.

And the 182 is going for $138 right now...

And these are our club rates, local FBO's charge more for less plane.

yea, and club dues are only 90 bucks every 6 months. Best deal i've ever found.

One of the guys in our school was out in LA recently during a contract. He said average Skyhawk rental was $225/hr, wet. Between California's tax on fuel and California sales tax, I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's a sample of rates I found for 172's in the LA area:

$109/hr
$92/hr
$99/hr
$101/hr
$80/hr

$225/hr? Not on this side of the pond. I couldn't even find any twins that expensive on the sites I found... Makes me jealous as the local Seneca is $242.50/hr. :(

Im pretty sure when i got my multi the Seneca I (pig) was 125 or something. maybe 150. Now its probably a tad more. Wasnt really a rental though and the only time we ever got to solo it was on the way to and from MEI ride. Consequently my only multi solo time, so far.

Back