Good G1000 training materials?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I am looking to get familiar with the G1000 system. Can any recommend any books or other training materials to help? I have downloaded the user's manual, all 600 or so pages of it, but was looking for something a little more digestable.

I know of Max Trescott's series of G1000 manuals - any good?

Related note on that - I see on his website it's on sale for about $35. But if you go on Amazon, you can get one of the editions for the bargain basement price of $377.24 (not a typo)! What's up with that?

Give www.Garmin1000.com a try. It's a full-up course at the VFR level and includes the GFC 700 (which is omitted from most other courses). Price is just $39, it's good for a full year (some others are only good for 90 days), and has a 100% money-back guarantee of satisfaction. If you don't want a real course, Garmin has some training videos floating around probably on YouTube.

I bought Max Trescott's G1000 cockpit handbook. It's an ok guide, but I didn't think it added anything not already in 184 page G1000 diamond cockpit reference guide PDF that is available on the web for free. You can probably find G1000 guide for the specific aircraft you fly also. If not just start with Diamond G1000 guide as 90-95% of the operation should be the same.

I took some sim time on a G1000. There's some good YouTube videos for G1000 training. I also bought the Garmin PC Trainer software which helps a bunch.

... something a little more digestable ...
Get the PC trainer from Garmin, buy a cheap joystick like the Logitech X3D, and then just start working your way through the User Manual. Read a page, try the stuff on the trainer, read the next page, etc.

If you're not familiar with Garmin 430/530 interface you might want to start with the Garmin PC sim software and the manual for one of those. The programming is virtually the same as for the G1000 but the sim has the advantage that you can easily run the "airplane" up to 600kt. to zip through the dull parts of flight plans and approaches, slowing it down as you get to a waypoint or something else interesting. Doing this on the G1000 is more cumbersome. Once you are comfortable with all the programming logic, big knob/little knob, etc., switching to the G1000 is a piece of cake.

Back