Good for another two years

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
Flight review completed today, after two reschedules. Hard to believe two years have passed since the last one. Flew my old instructor's Champ (the one in which I earned my certificate). I last flew this plane about 10 months ago. Sucked at turns around a point, but everything else was good. He threw in a diversion and engine failure to keep things interesting. Also flew my first straight-in approach today.

How much you slip him under the table?

Nah, congrats man, happy landings!

Congrats HB! See, the straight-in approach isn’t as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be, is it? :)

I don't understand why so many guys get all worked up over the FR.

Unless you've only flown 3 hours in the last couple of years and know that you're behind the 8 ball...

Congrats HB! See, the straight-in approach isn’t as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be, is it? :)
I find straight in much better than the rectangular pattern. Lots if time for stabilized approach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I find straight in much better than the rectangular pattern. Lots if time for stabilized approach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yep. I don’t do them regularly, but they’re not as difficult as some like to make it out to be. For me, I find that if I’m about 1000’ AGL at 1 mile out, the approach works perfect.

The hardest part of a straight in used to be judging distance from the runway. Now thanks to the gadgetry most of us fly with (GPS, iDevices, etc), that's not much of an obstacle anymore. A quick crunch of the numbers to give a roughly 3-3.5* glide path and you will be all set. I like straight ins. Kinda reduces the stall/spin scenario in the patter to virtually nil.

The hardest part of a straight in used to be judging distance from the runway. Now thanks to the gadgetry most of us fly with (GPS, iDevices, etc), that's not much of an obstacle anymore. A quick crunch of the numbers to give a roughly 3-3.5* glide path and you will be all set. I like straight ins. Kinda reduces the stall/spin scenario in the patter to virtually nil.

It certainly seems more efficient than maneuvering.

I will say though, If there are other aircraft in the traffic pattern, I'm not the d-bag that cuts 'em all off to execute my flawless straight in. Maybe when I can afford something that has a higher approach speed than a -172 I'll apply for that right-of-way waiver with the FSDO ;)

I will say though, If there are other aircraft in the traffic pattern, I'm not the d-bag that cuts 'em all off to execute my flawless straight in. Maybe when I can afford something that has a higher approach speed than a -172 I'll apply for that right-of-way waiver with the FSDO ;)

Agreed. I join the merry-go-round if others are in the pattern.

Of course. It’s only appropriate at certain times.

I wasn't worked up at all. Easy peasy. But I fly my Luscombe weekly.
Wasn't referring to you specifically, just a general comment.

Last edited:
Back