Good DA here today

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
8adc7e36dae13a3622ac3628572f493d.jpg

Should see some awesome performance from my 180 horse today.... but man it’s too cold to preflight. Windchill -36

A little bit more until you meet Hades?

You’re welcome to it. I was happy enough to see -200 the other day. Good enough for me.

This actually brings up a question I’ve wanted clarification on.

When density altitude is a high negative value like that, are you essentially unable to get the mixture rich enough?

When density altitude is a high negative value like that, are you essentially unable to get the mixture rich enough?

I think a bigger problem is keeping the cylinder heads warm. Plus if you don't have a good heater, then that's pretty cold.

I have often wondered that... the plane seem to like it, the pilot don’t and you can’t even get the temps in oil or cyl to get a respectable number. And then I see some guys will turn into the wind during run up when the cyl only shows barely touching 250 during run up. I mean why on earth would you want more cooling ?

I have often wondered that... the plane seem to like it, the pilot don’t and you can’t even get the temps in oil or cyl to get a respectable number. And then I see some guys will turn into the wind during run up when the cyl only shows barely touching 250 during run up. I mean why on earth would you want more cooling ?

Habit, some planes do have cold weather kits to block off some airflow. I love the climb rate on cold days though.

8adc7e36dae13a3622ac3628572f493d.jpg

Should see some awesome performance from my 180 horse today.... but man it’s too cold to preflight. Windchill -36
It would take quite a bit of power to taxi if I saw that DA in Cincinnati.

Habit, some planes do have cold weather kits to block off some airflow. I love the climb rate on cold days though.

I love the climb rate and generally flying in cold weather too. It’s smooth as glass, generally. But I have stopped flying below zero for last 2 years to so. Things get brittle and they break - known from personal experience.

I love the climb rate and generally flying in cold weather too. It’s smooth as glass, generally. But I have stopped flying below zero for last 2 years to so. Things get brittle and they break - known from personal experience.

Yup, -11f is pretty damn cold.

My CFII's limit is 10F. It was 9 this morning and too much ice in front of the hangar. Cancel. :(

Same. But I may make an exception next week as it is my last chance to clock the required hours before my CFI leaves the area for a few months. Yesterday at 3 degrees was the warmest day till Tuesday. So going to have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Same. But I may make an exception next week as it is my last chance to clock the required hours before my CFI leaves the area for a few months. Yesterday at 3 degrees was the warmest day till Tuesday. So going to have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

The lowest I have flown was -23f ambient, never again

Most of the companies I flew for in Alaska stopped operations at -36 to -38. F or C, take your pick.

They stopped operations not because of what the cold does to the pilots, but to try to prevent the little things in the airplane from breaking, like the cheap plastic interior pieces and small door hinges. Nothing like firing up the engine and watching the oil pressure gauge(s) sit on O pressure until the oil in the line thaws out, or the gyros howling so loudly that the passengers ask what the noise is.

Nothing like having the eyelids freeze shut while trying to fuel the plane.....

The lowest I have flown was -23f ambient, never again
-35°C OAT once was fine in my PA-28-161. I felt a little chilly whenever a cloud came between me and the sun — and I had my coat on, of course — but the heater kept up pretty well.

I will not state the ambient temp in my region for the purposes of thread harmony and fear of recrimination. :eek:

The worst part about the cold is the preflight and the post flight, putting the plane in the hangar over a solid layer of black ice.

My coldest flight was around -8F. During startup in the summer I can aggressively lean the 182 within 20 seconds of startup. When its this cold, it really has to warm up (with oil cooler 90% covered) and I can still barely lean it. Up at cruise I can lean it but you can tell its not as much and it seems like I am burning maybe +1gph or so.

My favorite is if the cabin was pre-warmed i take off the jacket and just wear a long sleeve shirt...the O-470 heater is awesome.

I always thought the turn into the wind for run up was more about aircraft control...think light fabric planes. Or maybe I just learned something today!

Back